Thread: The math doesn't work

Default The math doesn't work

This one left me scratching my head... I wonder what the backstory is:

ALBANY – Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo reported his income last year more than doubled from the previous year, thanks to another round of royalty payments on a 2014 HarperCollins memoir that saw lackluster sales.

In all, Cuomo has made $783,000 from HarperCollins for his book. The book sold 3,200 copies since it was published in the fall of 2014, according to tracking company NPD BookScan.

That works out to royalty payments to Cuomo of $245 per book.

"All Things Possible: Setbacks and Success in Politics and Life’’ had an original list price of $29.99. New copies of the hardcover book were being sold Monday on Amazon for $13.05.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Default Re: The math doesn't work

Sounds like an advance, rather than the actual royalties.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Yup, the publisher was hoping more books would sell and this was likely an advance. It probably assumed a well known pelican would sell books. That's a chance they take, some win, some lose. In this case, it lost.

Norman, Norman, Norman... don't trouble your pretty little head about it. THIS is Republican math. It's not supposed to make sense in the normal sense. It's only supposed to serve as camouflage for the vandalism and nihilistic corruption they have grown over the last 4 decades, and are now reaping the benefits from. They have become quite adept at funneling money hither and yon, in order to finance treason and destruction. And the apologists, like the mayor, thereof.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Norman, Norman, Norman... don't trouble your pretty little head about it. THIS is Republican math. It's not supposed to make sense in the normal sense. It's only supposed to serve as camouflage for the vandalism and nihilistic corruption they have grown over the last 4 decades, and are now reaping the benefits from. They have become quite adept at funneling money hither and yon, in order to finance treason and destruction. And the apologists, like the mayor, thereof.
    LOL.
    Cuomo is a Dem

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    LOL.
    Cuomo is a Dem
    Of course he is. But he's the sort of D that provides the nugget of truth that False Equivalence promoter point to when they thay, 'Both parties are corrupt, no difference between them'. He's the sort of D that I mean when I say, 'No party is immune to Acton's Dictum'. And the rising tide of nihilism and corruption is the result of the last 4 decades plus of R cynicism and short-sighted perfidy.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

David, your nurse called. It's time to take your meds again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin2 View Post
    Thanks. Just took 'em, I think. The danged caregiver, though, sneaked 'em in. Hidden in a plate of eggs, yams, and rye toast. Or maybe in the hazelnut/chocolate egg left over from Easter. Kain't STAY nuts if you don't EAT nuts yanno.

But, unfortunately, I'm right about both the source and direction of the denigration.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin2 View Post
    Called YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Yup, the publisher was hoping more books would sell and this was likely an advance. It probably assumed a well known pelican would sell books. That's a chance they take, some win, some lose. In this case, it lost.
    Thanks SV, your response should have put this question to rest.

Called YOU!
    Jamie, here is your rye toast with something extra special today.

Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    Jamie, here is your rye toast with something extra special today.
    I wasn't talking to you. I am assuming Bluefin can talk without any help from you!

No problem there Mr Airlie. MAGA!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Sounds like an advance, rather than the actual royalties.
    But that does not fit the narrative someone wants. Usually when I find "the math doesn't work," I am doing the wrong math. I am sure we will find more examples of math not working the the future. Then we can do away with most of the pesky science.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    This one left me scratching my head... I wonder what the backstory is:

A lot of books don't earn out their advance, yet I've never heard of a publisher trying to claw back that money. In theory, an advance on royalties is like an advance on wages, you're supposed to pay it back from your earnings.

Andrew Cuomo is the governor of a major U.S. State with a well-known last name.

Who knows? One day he might run for POTUS. In that event HarperCollins prints a second edition and makes a heap of profit.
    " Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day."

" The truth is that men are tired of liberty."

-- Benito Mussolini

I don't suppose what's in the book matters?

Given some experience with book advances from NY publishers, $500,000+ is rather large for a book by a mere governor, although he has published several previous books (none big sellers).

There might be a slight element of favoritism involved.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Andrew Cuomo is the governor of a major U.S. State with a well-known last name.

Who knows? One day he might run for POTUS. In that event HarperCollins prints a second edition and makes a heap of profit.
    That's the rumor in NYS Tom. Cuomo, 2020! I hope he doesn't, way too many skeletons!

That's the rumor in NYS Tom. Cuomo, 2020! I hope he doesn't, way too many skeletons!