Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 75 years ago, the Doolittle Raid changed history

Default Re: 75 years ago, the Doolittle Raid changed history

Good to remember how badly the Japanese behaved in China and Korea, though. Americans tend to forget that. The Chinese and Koreans don't.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    It wouldn't have taken 20 years, but it would have been very, very messy. In August of 1945 my father was sitting on a carrier off the Japanese coast, getting ready for the invasion that turned out to be unnecessary. There's some chance I wouldn't be here now if it weren't for the atomic bombs.
    Me too. My dad was in Army Ranger training preparing for the invasion when the bombs were dropped.

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    For those unfamiliar with Ian the Greater's reference, read the excerpt at http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...aid-180955001/

For many of us this was no surprise. Doolittle himself had anticipated it and during the war told Dad of it as an important lesson as to what we were fighting. One of our family mentors, "old China hand" Edwin Stanton, had run an intelligence operation from his places of capture in Japanese camps and funneled much information back for both war and diplomatic planning. After WWII Stanton was the first US ambassador to Thailand after the name change from Siam.

Any action and all inactions invited expansionistic attacks from the Axis powers. Japanese atrocities were caused by Japanese imperialism, not by the Doolittle raid.
    Try this one

http://fly.historicwings.com/2013/04...oolittle-raid/
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I do not disagree with the conclusions in the Historic Wings link Ian provides [#38] but I find nothing "common" in the strawman remarks they put forward to "disprove". The piece is manufactured novelty of well established history.

But no doubt there is someone somewhere who knew nothing of the raid before reading the piece and thus benefitted.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    disregarding that particular article that appears to be a cool online magazine

thanks
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Well, there's three strange responses (the third was an attacking PM, about me never having anything good to say about America).

I thought that was a pretty insightful and thought provoking article.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I think the article is typical of the arguments put forth by proponents of all sorts of alternative theories or views. It falls into the logical trap of assuming the conventional view is wrong and the alternative view is correct. It's basically "everybody thinks X but I/we know the REAL truth." In this particular case, the summaries of the "conventional" views are simplistic and the "alternatives" are presented not as alternative views but as statements of fact. They are interpretations rather than facts.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    Me too. My dad was in Army Ranger training preparing for the invasion when the bombs were dropped.

My dad was in the 4th marine division., They already had devastating causalities on Saipan, Iwo Jima. They told them the 4th will spearhead the invasion, there will be 100 percent dead and wounded..

as a frogman it will be a suicide mission.

I've been reading a lot about the war in the Pacific and what those guys went through is just unimaginable. The Marines, airmen, soldiers and sailors who fought in WW2 have my deepest and most sincere respect and admiration.

The Japanese murdered 300,000 Chinese civilians immediately following the Doolittle raid. They destroyed villages and towns in the areas where the B-25s might have come down.

Their brutality was despicable.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...aid-180955001/