Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Special Election

Default Georgia Special Election

[IMc - This is a "jungle primary" with each tooth and claw against all others, no matter the party. It's not expected that either the lead Republican or the lead Democrat will break fifty percent, so the top two will go on to an election in June. But you never know. If the Republican even survives, the Trumpkins will claim a huge victory. The fact that it's a real race shows that Trump is already losing.]

Published on Monday, April 17, 2017, by Common Dreams

Georgia Democrat Leads the Pack in Closely-Watched Special Election
    Even if Tuesday's vote goes to a June runoff, "[n]o one should conclude it's a done deal and the Republican will win"

by Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Tuesday's special election in the race to fill Georgia's 6th District U.S. House seat, vacated by Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price, will be another test of the political resistance to President Donald Trump, after a narrow loss in Kansas last week.

Democrats are rallying behind 30-year-old documentary filmmaker Jon Ossoff, whose success in the polls has Republicans on edge—even in the White House. Trump himself sent a tweet Monday referring to Ossoff as a "super liberal Democrat" who wants to "protect criminals, allow illegal immigration, and raise taxes."

But Ossoff's progressive bent has drawn support from around the country, bringing in more cash than the 6th District has ever seen, CNBC reported Monday. As of March 29, Ossoff had raised $8.3 million. Price, who first won the seat in 2004, never spent more than $2.5 million in an election.

"While I'm glad the president is interested in the race, he is misinformed," Ossoff said in a statement in response to Trump's tweet. "I'm focused on bringing fresh leadership, accountability, and bipartisan problem-solving to Washington to cut wasteful spending and grow metro Atlanta's economy into the Silicon Valley of the South."

If Ossoff captures 50 percent in the primary, which is crowded with 18 contenders, he will avoid a June runoff with a Republican candidate. Although he is expected to fall a few points short of that goal, "[n]o one should conclude it's a done deal and the Republican will win," Eric Tanenblatt, a 30-year veteran of Georgia politics who has worked on Republican campaigns, told USA Today.

The most likely outcome is that the race will narrow to a two-person face-off on June 20—but the fact that Democrats are even close enough to scare Republicans points to the shake-up Trump's presidency has caused in the political landscape nationwide. Ossoff is ahead in the polls in a district that Republicans have held for nearly 40 years—and as NPR noted last week, his fundraising success and massive lead in the polls is "a nearly unthinkable feat in an 18-candidate field."

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License

Default Re: Georgia Special Election

Q: Just how red has Georgia's 6th Congressional District been over the years?

A: It is Newt Gingrich's congressional district.
    What is the least often heard sentence in the English language? That would be: “Say, isn’t that the banjo player’s Porsche parked outside?”

A. 60% Red 40% Blue
    Steve Martinsen

I am too cynical to think he will eventually win, but happy at the discomfort it causes the GOP. The more Democrats tie all Republicans to Trump, the better.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

I live in an area called East Cobb. It's the epicenter of the 6th. Used to be totally red, but it's changing demographically and politically.
    Made BBC news last night. It's huge hear. Seeing a lot more Ossoff (democratic candidate) signs than anybody else. His volunteers have been out in force.
    Karen Handell's folks were out in front of the Chik Filet a 1/4 mile from my house yesterday. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they were Chik Filet employees being made to do it given the companies overt political overtones.

Voted early for Ossoff. Wife and daughter are voting for him today. My guess is itll end in a runoff. That will happen in June.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    A. 60% Red 40% Blue
    They district did go for Trump, but it was no landslide. It was for Romney.

I'm seeing the libs oh for 2.

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    A. 60% Red 40% Blue
    You are right.
    The last election in 2016 Tom Price won with about 60% of the vote.

This election is a little odd.
    One Dem is running with multiple Reps running splitting the Rep vote.

The real question is will the Dem get over 50% of the vote.
    If not then there will be a second election between the top 2 winners.

My guess is that the Dem will be in the 45% range and there will be a second election with the Rep winning.
    I also think in the second Election the Dem is get a smaller % of the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    You are right.
    The last election in 2016 Tom Price won with about 60% of the vote.

This election is a little odd.
    One Dem is running with multiple Reps running splitting the Rep vote.

The real question is will the Dem get over 50% of the vote.
    If not then there will be a second election between the top 2 winners.

My guess is that the Dem will be in the 45% range and there will be a second election with the Rep winning.
    I also think in the second Election the Dem is get a smaller % of the vote.
    The results are in and the Dem got 48% of the vote so there will be a second Election.
    The Dems tried to buy the election with outside money totaling $8 million.
    The Reps mistake was to have so many candidates each one with less then $0.5 million to spend.

I expect the news media will down play the results and down play the runoff election.

This race will be much played up as Trump continues to claim that he and he alone caused the Democrat to get 'only' 48% of the vote.

Ossoff doesn't even live in the district.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

what "documentaries" has Ossoff made?

Ossoff spent more time as a congressional aide but he was executive producer of one documentary for BBC3 about Syrian atrocities. https://insighttwi.com/films/girlsgunsisis
    I suppose that DAESH supporters might view this as more propaganda than a "documentary" that Ossoff produced.

He is thirty and his main relevant experience is his five years getting legislation passed in the US Congress. The sixth is the district where he was born and remains his permanent address.

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    I would not hold that against him.
    He grew up in the area and I would consider him a local.

Not like Hillary who only moved to NY so she could run for the Senate.

I would not hold that against him.
    He grew up in the area and I would consider him a local.

Not like Hillary who only moved to NY so she could run for the Senate.
    That's just pitiful.

I do not see HRC anywhere on the political landscape, anymore, but you're willing to vilify her anyway.

I think that, when this Trump thing settles out, there will be two shining positives about the whole experience.

1) That scuzbag and his entire family will be either in jail for life, or facing a firing squad (yay!), and

2) The so-called 'conservatives' in the US will have to face up to the fact that they destroyed Hillary, and they can't blame her for anything any more.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin2 View Post
    I'm seeing the libs oh for 2.
    And another loss for Hollywood, would you really want the Hollywood elite's influencing an election in your state, they should stick to their day jobs.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...-dems-83m-haul

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    That's just pitiful.

I do not see HRC anywhere on the political landscape, anymore, but you're willing to vilify her anyway.

I think that, when this Trump thing settles out, there will be two shining positives about the whole experience.

1) That scuzbag and his entire family will be either in jail for life, or facing a firing squad (yay!), and

2) The so-called 'conservatives' in the US will have to face up to the fact that they destroyed Hillary, and they can't blame her for anything any more.
    Get a grip on yourself.
    I was only using Hillary as an example of a carpetbagger who moves to an area just to run for election.

In the case of Ossoff he is not a carpetbagger.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    And another loss for Hollywood, would you really want the Hollywood elite's influencing an election in your state, they should stick to their day jobs.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...-dems-83m-haul
    The next question is will the outsides give him even more money for the runoff election.
    I do not think they will donate as much but there will be some who will through good money after bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    He lives 10 minutes from it.

The good news for those with the ability to reason is that Bob Grey essentially lost to Karen Handel. Grey wants to ban abortions EVEN in cases of rape and incest.
    I think Ossoff will lose a runoff by a small margin as things stand now. But his strong showing is as much a statement against Drumph as it is for him. A lot can happen between now and June to turn the tide against the repubs. This latest result will only enbolden the Cheeto in Charge, inflating his omnipresent ego. Eventually he IS going to step on his **** in a spectacular fashion as he truly believes he can do no wrong and NOBODY will tell the emperor he has no clothes.

I'll be voting again for Ossoff and so will my wife and daughter.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 04-19-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    He lives 10 minutes from it.
    Any take on what the run-off will be like? (other than ugly)
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Ugly it'll be. The repubs will run nothing but a smear campaign designed to appeal to the lower echelons of their base. That may not play very well amongst a well educated population here in the 6th.

I do not think it will get ugly.
    I think the Dem leadership will abandon Ossoff because they know it is a lost cause.

I think the Dem leadership will abandon Ossoff because they know it is a lost cause.
    I think you're completely off-base on that thought. Considering how well he performed against the remainder of the field, and how important the seat is, nobody is abandoning Ossoff.

It's pretty telling that there have been irregularities in this special election including this and the theft of Ossoff lawn signs.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Mr. England is obviously off his meds again.

No, neither the Democratic National nor the Georgia Democratic committees will "abandon" Ossof (Ossof: 48.1% Handel 19.8%) for the runoff, nor will the DMZ disappear in Korea, nor does Trump's level of lying in his tweets equal accuracy in his posts.

I'm SO glad I do not live in your world. You spew garbage into this forum expecting that we will accept it as we (should) (might) if it was the Word of (Whomever), but it ain't necessarily so. Over the last three presidencies, you have expended enough lying rhetoric to swamp a small town to the eaves and are continually 'amazed' when you get called on the crap, each and every time.

I would suggest that if you want to live in the REAL world, you REALLY need to seek some professional help or run for office.

If not, perhaps you can move in with Slug.
    Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

It's actually a crime to steal these signs. Wonder if they will go after this guy.

Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Doubt it.
    -William A. Ward

You ain't from around here are you.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    It's actually a crime to steal these signs. Wonder if they will go after this guy.

They ALWAYS drive a mustang or a Bubba truck. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Mr. England is obviously off his meds again.

No, neither the Democratic National nor the Georgia Democratic committees will "abandon" Ossof (Ossof: 48.1% Handel 19.8%) for the runoff, nor will the DMZ disappear in Korea, nor does Trump's level of lying in his tweets equal accuracy in his posts.

I'm SO glad I do not live in your world. You spew garbage into this forum expecting that we will accept it as we (should) (might) if it was the Word of (Whomever), but it ain't necessarily so. Over the last three presidencies, you have expended enough lying rhetoric to swamp a small town to the eaves and are continually 'amazed' when you get called on the crap, each and every time.

I would suggest that if you want to live in the REAL world, you REALLY need to seek some professional help or run for office.

If not, perhaps you can move in with Slug.
    I am trying to understand why you are so upset.
    All I said was that I think the Dem leadership will abandon Ossoff because its a lost cause.
    Please try to calm down.

All I said was that I think the Dem leadership will abandon Ossoff because its a lost cause.
    Please try to calm down.
    Let's be plain. You're delusional thinking that it is a "lost cause". For a Democratic candidate to get 48% of the vote in a district that is 60% Republicans, I'd say that was a very strong showing.
    -William A. Ward

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Please try to calm down.
    Possibly because you need to do some research, read the news, read what the news actually said, not what you assume it says. Every one of your posts really comes down to be mostly meaningless questions; the removal of the DMZ for example and impossible to reply to on any intellectual level. This race in GA, is another example: You HOPE the dems will roll over and NOT support the Dem. candidate but, that wish just isn't being supported. In fact, they appear to be pretty "geared" up.

I think you're completely off-base on that thought. Considering how well he performed against the remainder of the field, and how important the seat is, nobody is abandoning Ossoff.

It's pretty telling that there have been irregularities in this special election including this and the theft of Ossoff lawn signs.
    The reason I think he got so much attention was because the Reps split their vote and message.
    In the runoff election there will just be 2 options, Dem or Rep.
    Considering this is a 60% Rep district I do not think Ossoff has much of a chance.

I just do not see the Dem Leadership spending time or money helping a losing candidate.

I think we can measure this by
    1. Does Ossoff keep getting donations getting him into the $8 million range again.
    2. Does the news media keep describing this election as being important.

Ol' geng appears to be the one 'riled up' over this - the 'let's bring HRC into it' is a tell.

Yep, the Repub's are crapping in their own fishbowl... again. Too bad we have to share it with them.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Let's be plain. You're delusional thinking that it is a "lost cause". For a Democratic candidate to get 48% of the vote in a district that is 60% Republicans, I'd say that was a very strong showing.
    I agree getting 48% in a 60% Rep district was a good showing.
    But consider
    1. He had a lot of money $8 Million
    2. The Reps were split.
    And he still could not win.

The run off election will be different.
    1. He will not have as large a money advantage.
    2. There will be only one Rep.

I expect he will get a smaller % of the vote in the run off election.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

The reason I think he got so much attention was because the Reps split their vote and message.
    In the runoff election there will just be 2 options, Dem or Rep.
    Considering this is a 60% Rep district I do not think Ossoff has much of a chance.

I just do not see the Dem Leadership spending time or money helping a losing candidate.

I think we can measure this by
    1. Does Ossoff keep getting donations getting him into the $8 million range again.
    2. Does the news media keep describing this election as being important.
    Others have also posted that the political picture is being painted another color, it's not as "Red" as you think it is. In part, you can blame Trump. In the last election, he barely won that district where the recent battle just took place.