Thread: Aaaaarrrrrggghhhhh

Default Aaaaarrrrrggghhhhh

Default Re: Aaaaarrrrrggghhhhh

Hey - it floated!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Well, judging by the "San Francisco" painted under the name, at least the CG is close at hand.

I wonder how Uhaul felt about their trailer being immersed.

Alex

I find the topsides oddly appealing.

A great summer for $750? What's not to like. I just hope they have a few life jackets on board.
    -Dave

Always loved a great home brew design. One of my favorites:

[IMG]MVC-002S by bobcadams, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

I applaud these young people for taking the initiative to build their own boat. Their experience has the potential to propel them forward as they begin their adult lives. I just hope that they now realize the importance of pre-planning. And that would include putting some thoughts toward design. For, although they do have a boat, they could have had something a bit nicer (more seaworthy, efficient, long lasting, dare I say it… aesthetic?, etc.) with little more effort.

Nevertheless, I'm onboard! (not literally thank goodness)

Jeff

So pleased to see almost no negativity here... let there be none. this is the way things started....lets applaud their fun dedication good spirit and final result...
    Morally ethically aesthetically sound.
    those seventeen minutes brought tears to my eyes for the sheer exuberance, and that happy band of pals will have gained from that project immensely. It was worth it just to see the smiles.
    They might never go near another boat ever again, they might have taken the first steps towards the ideas and dreams and accomplishments so many of us here have experienced and enjoyed and continue to.

Congratulations

The criticisms will be obvious its not necesssary to air them here. So there.
    When you come to a fork in the road , take it.

Smarter than the average bear, Booboo

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    So pleased to see almost no negativity here... let there be none. this is the way things started....lets applaud their fun dedication good spirit and final result...
    Morally ethically aesthetically sound.
    those seventeen minutes brought tears to my eyes for the sheer exuberance, and that happy band of pals will have gained from that project immensely. It was worth it just to see the smiles.
    They might never go near another boat ever again, they might have taken the first steps towards the ideas and dreams and accomplishments so many of us here have experienced and enjoyed and continue to.

Congratulations

The criticisms will be obvious its not necesssary to air them here. So there.
    ^ This!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

"It is not the critic who counts"-T. Roosevelt. Good on them for being in the arena as it were. Now they have a boat. More then many can say.
    James D. Maxwell
    Missoula, MT
    Western Montana Small Boat Association
    Heron #1

I started out my boatbuilding addiction the same way. Long before the advent of WoodenBoat Magazine, I built a 14' sailboat as a 17 year old kid. No plans other then what I scribbled on a piece of paper. Materials straight from the lumber yard. Ended up looking not so bad and it actually sailed. Like the boat featured here, it's life expectancy wasn't too long, but it served it's purpose in getting me started in a lifetime hobby of boatbuilding.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

OK...so it's the "backyard clubhouse" for surferdudes (and dudettes). I wouldn't take it out to the Farralons, but it shows a great start and some initative!

I am impressed by all of he positive comments but cannot share the enthusiasm. Boats of that nature do not have happy endings very often. At best they become derelicts to be cleaned up by others, at worst, they end in the death of the occupants. Case in point, a home designed, home built outboard boat with five good friends out in the middle of Lake Champlain back in 1960. Transom literally fell off the boat, no life jackets, three survived, but near death from hypothermia by the time they were rescued, two drowned. Not so much fun and certainly not to be encouraged.

jonboy said it, sheer exuberance. At first I was kind of appalled until I remembered some of the stuff I pulled when I was that age . . .

And hey, most of their generation dies a million deaths if their smartphone battery quits, so even more power to them

They won't get far without "CF numbers" on her. Poor kids don't realize a name alone is not enough. The are "floating probable cause" for the water-cops. They should have named her "Stop and Inspect Me!" I'm glad they had fun doing it. Everybody's got to start somewhere.

dayummm!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    They won't get far without "CF numbers" on her. Poor kids don't realize a name alone is not enough. The are "floating probable cause" for the water-cops. They should have named her "Stop and Inspect Me!" I'm glad they had fun doing it. Everybody's got to start somewhere.
    They won't get far with no visible means of propulsion either! I saw no motor or a way to attach one.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.