Thread: Sailing Chautauqua - a decked sailing canoe

Default Sailing Chautauqua - a decked sailing canoe

Easter turned out to be a good day for a photo shoot - and some fun sailing. Took Chautauqua out for a spin . . . here are a few pics and the resulting video. Quite gusty and shifty.

Please ignore the crease in the main, which you can see in the video - I didn't notice it until I was on the water, and couldn't be bothered to mess with it.
    The stick seen dragging on the starboard side is an alternate fore and aft push-pull tiller, for use when sitting down in the cockpit. I just tossed it to the side to keep it out of the way, not thinking about how it would look on video.

She rows great, btw. Those are 5-1/2' oars, which area bit too short. That's my daughter, Ruth . . . she was very disappointed that she didn't get her own paddle. We did sneak up on a bunch of turtles, which may have made up for it.

Plans available by the end of the month, if all goes well.

Dave

Default Re: Sailing Chautauqua - a decked sailing canoe

Looks great Dave, im impressed by how quick she seems to tack and carry on the new tack. May i ask the height between the cockpit sole and the side decks?(EDIT. more or less compared to the Melonseed?) I have knee issues that prevent me having them bent too much for too long. Thanks for posting an update.
    Last edited by skaraborgcraft; 04-17-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Quite beautiful!!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Agreed ^^ Fast and quite beautiful . Ill add versatile ... What's not to like .

Fast, small and simple. Sailing at it's best!

Thanks for the update Dave.

Any details on the deck layout for the cruising version and leeboard attachment?

Woody

That looks like a blast congratulations

Sweet!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

They're continuingly doing things at Chautauqua that make the rest of the World appear inferior.
    Last edited by Nicholas Scheuer; 04-17-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Well.

I can't paddle anymore. Just can't. It agrieves my damaged back, too much. And I'm sad, because I am a canoe and kayak type.

But, I love, love, love building SOF, and I love, love, love my goofy little sailing canoe, although I have been looking to upgrade it a bit.

Shoot, I may even be able to just use my current canoe sail as a main for a new canoe like that.

Hmmm...

Peace,
    Robert

Eagerly awaiting plans for the cruising version as well. And curious whether it would be possible to use a double paddle for that version rather than oars? Or is she too wide for that?
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Very nice!
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Eagerly awaiting plans for the cruising version as well.
    Cruising version? We need the details!

From the first post in Dave's original build thread:

I mean for there to be two different versions - one dedicated to fun sailing (sit on), and one more appropriate for less mobile folks and/or camp cruising (sit in).
    Ever since that post I have been waiting to hear about the cruising variant. I'm imagining something that would carry my wife, myself, our son (small) and dog (medium) for gunkholing trips around Garrison Bay, Friday Harbor, Steamboat Slough or similar areas... Double paddle most of the time but with the option to sail if desired.
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Thanks, everyone!
    May i ask the height between the cockpit sole and the side decks?(EDIT. more or less compared to the Melonseed?) I have knee issues that prevent me having them bent too much for too long.
    30cm / 12" - several inches less than the Melonseed. Note that the conditions in the video were very shifty and gusty. I would normally have sailed her while sitting down inside the cockpit, but the pics (for a magazine article) needed to be of me sitting out. So, much of the time I was having to almost squat to keep my weight centered. In steadier winds, sitting out is pretty comfortable, and one can stretch their legs out under the opposite deck. I also have terrible knees . . . .

Cruising version? We need the details!
    The "cruiser" version will feature a lengthier cockpit, and a leeboard. Two people should be able to sit down inside her, or she can sleep one. Steering done with foot pedals or a single, long, fore-and-aft tiller from the rudder. This will be an easier build, and a little lighter. I may have an option for a single sail, placed further aft than the main.

And curious whether it would be possible to use a double paddle for that version rather than oars? Or is she too wide for that?
    No problem with a double paddle, though it will be a little awkward. I would likely prefer a single paddle, unless the drip rings on the double were very good.

I'm imagining something that would carry my wife, myself, our son (small) and dog (medium) for gunkholing trips around Garrison Bay, Friday Harbor, Steamboat Slough or similar areas... Double paddle most of the time but with the option to sail if desired.
    Really, for that load, I think the new Chuckanut 17 would be a much better choice. She has a sail rig, as designed, more capacity, and much more room in the cockpit. A little narrower, too, so easier to use with double paddles. Plans for her are already available.

I've spent a lot of enjoyable times paddling and rowing around Garrison Bay, Friday Harbor and Steamboat Slough, btw.
    This is me (10 years ago), popping out of a tunnel just around the corner from Garrison Bay - it led back to a creek one could go pretty far up. Tide dependent and tight, though.

They're continuingly doing things at Chautauqua that make the rest of the World appear inferior.
    I lived, for a while, in the Chautauqua park in Boulder, Colorado. It's a very special place.

Dave
    Last edited by DGentry; 04-17-2017 at 06:56 PM. Reason: I like to look at pictures of myself

Thanks Dave, I think sit-in is going to be more my style with the option to hike when the mood or conditions dictate. I have a summers testing ahead, so have time to see how plans develop. Keep us all posted!

Plans for this wonderful looking sailing craft are now available on Dave's web site. The plans also include details of the cruising version I understand.

Okay, I'm in. I want to make a sailing canoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Will keep me busy this coming winter. Will find an alternative to the spectra lashing i used last time. Not seen the drawings for the cruise version, but sounds about right; probably will never sleep onboard, but i like the idea.

Cool Re: Sailing Chautauqua - a decked sailing canoe

The new issue of Watercraft showcases a nice canoe.;-)