Thread: Lug rigged mast set-up

Default Lug rigged mast set-up

Finally getting to the point of rigging on my little Bolger Gypsy. I've gone with a 72 sq.ft. lug sail instead of whatever under-powered sail was originally drawn.

Some say to drill a hole athwartships. Others attach hardware running fore-and-aft. It would seem that if the halyard that hangs the yard comes on the aft side of the mast, then which ever tack you were on would have equal tension from the twist of the yard. On the other hand, it sounds like some people use the "good" tack as their primary run. In that case, running the hole athwart would give consistency on that good tack.

And what about holes versus hardware? I'm not talking about a traveler. I'm talking about a bee hole versus a stainless U-bolt, versus a pulley.

If only the plans had come with all of this information...

Default Re: Lug rigged mast set-up

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Have you read THIS THREAD on the same kind of question?

Short answer: beehole athwartships. No sheave or blocks needed for sails this small. No hardware clattering around and costing money--just a rounded over hole through the mast and a halyard to go through it.

Others have different opinions, but there's no reason why the above wouldn't work splendidly in a Gypsy. Good luck,

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

been pondering this issue for a while now and have to agree w/ WI-Tom

keeping a vessel as simple as the Gypsy SIMPLE & inexpensive is in your favour

the less hardware the better, that's the way Phil's thinking/writing went

it is unlikely you would be abe to personally feel/measure any advantage one way or the other

K.I.S.S.

just an old man's 2 worth

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Thanks. Done and done. You guys are the best.