Thread: Ideas on garage setup for boat build

Default Ideas on garage setup for boat build

Hi everyone,

So I should have plans for a 15ft plywood based dingy in the post, which resulted in me spending the best part of the Easter weekend cleaning out the double garage. I have permission () to occupy half of it permanently with a hull. The floor is chip-stone over dirt and and much as I would prefer to work on a concrete floor I don't think I'll end up with a concrete slab to work on...maybe some concrete tiles in critical area as an alternative?

I would like to be able to haul the boat out onto the lawn to work out in the open when the weather is good, to get a bit more space and sunlight. The area is pretty level - has anyone found an elegant way to do this? Some sort of rail solution or saw horses on wheels?

Looking for a bit of inspiration.

Cheers

Default Re: Ideas on garage setup for boat build

Some sort of rail solution or saw horses on wheels?
    That is a pretty standard and straightforward way of approaching the problem. Go fot it! Rather than a concrete floor, a wooden one is generally preferred in a wood shop or a boat shop, so you may wish to consider that if it us practical.

Your only mistake was not commandeering the whole garage while you had the chance rather than just taking half.

Welcome to the WBF.
    Steve Martinsen

I'd much rather work on a dirt or gravel floor than a concrete one; easier on the feet. There are lots of ways to move the hull, just don't move it until it is built enough to not deform the hull. I used casters screwed to the building frame that didn't touch the ground until the hull was planked and I no longer needed a level reference.

In general it is not a good idea to move a boat until its whole shape is well established, that is, finish the planking, whether it is plywood or wood on frame.
    You need to keep the whole boat level, square and stable up to this point.
    You can take many boats outdoors to finish the bottom, glass, sand, and paint. A small boat can just be carried out to sawhorses...

If space is really critical, consider using a boat trailer as a support for a whole boat during its building.
    The whole thing can then be wheeled to a new position when necessary.

I would put in a 3/4" plywood floor over sleepers as flooring in a heartbeat. Make it flat in both directions. Easier on the feet, and you can secure bracing etc to the floor as needed.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Cool Re: Ideas on garage setup for boat build

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    That is a pretty standard and straightforward way of approaching the problem. Go fot it! Rather than a concrete floor, a wooden one is generally preferred in a wood shop or a boat shop, so you may wish to consider that if it us practical.

Your only mistake was not commandeering the whole garage while you had the chance rather than just taking half.

Welcome to the WBF.
    Don't tell anybody...the rest of the garage is filled with primarily my junk, old windsurf gear and the like ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    I would put in a 3/4" plywood floor over sleepers as flooring in a heartbeat. Make it flat in both directions. Easier on the feet, and you can secure bracing etc to the floor as needed.
    I second this suggestion. For us Europeans, 18mm flooring grade chipboard is a good option - or 18mm shuttering ply.
    Nick

Top priority job is to rename the garage a boat shed, whoever wants access to the other half will eventually give up and be content with some shelves in the corner.

Build a very hefty rolling cradle.

I built my boat in the garage and lighting wasn't an issue. Of course living in Florida helps. I had a double roll up door facing north and still got plenty of light. Also used a 500 watt light for working at night (which was really to hot). Just saying the lighting may not be an issue once you start. If space is the primary concern, it might be easier to move a portable work table and tools outside while leaving the boat under cover.
    Last edited by Mark O.; 04-17-2017 at 06:12 PM.

I agree with the other comments. It's not a great idea to move your boat too early in the build process, because you want to avoid shape changes. I just open my garage door on nice days, and that provides ample light and fresh air. You will find to that more stuff (insects, dust, leaves, etc.) can stick to your boat if you are doing epoxy work or paint outside. Perhaps you can build a base with 2x6's, and plywood. I did that, and found that it worked very well.

Good luck!
    Grant

Kanata, Ontario, Canada
    Visit my first project: Building a Candlefish 13

I just left mine inside the garage and worked on the bits and stuff outside on nice days. Between the summer heat and humidity, the winter cold, and that much of my work time was in the evening when it was dark I found that I didn't want to work outside all that much.

I've built boats both on stationary strongbacks and strongbacks that you can roll around. I'm 100% in favor of a strongback on a great set of casters. You can build a strongback stiff enough that it won't hurt the shape of the boat in any way. Having it on casters lets you roll it out into the driveway for lining-off planks, getting a better sight line, etc. It also opens up your shop to become a work bay out of the sun or rain or whatever it is that happens there in lovely Denmark. You can always throw a large tarp over the boat while you're working in the garage.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Build a strongback from cheap 2x10 lumber and drywall screws. I put a 4 wheel hand truck with pmeumatic tires under one end and rolled it around. You could possible put one one either end.

For the Penobscot 14 I put medium size casters on the strongback and drug it on and off the grass a few times. I leveled it and left it stationary until the frames were in, bow, keel and stringers set.

Here's a shot of the 2x4 "landing gear" that I used to level the strongback. It also has wheels now.

Then it moved around. It rolled great from concrete garage to driveway.

Buy big casters and hopefully it will roll over your floor. Once I moved the strongback out to the carriage house I build some 2x6 tracks for it to roll outside on, for the days when there was a lot of bevelling of laps and hull sanding.

Is my boat going to be perfectly straight? No. Hopefully it has 1.23 degrees of left twist to balance out the fact that I am right handed.

Now it is on a cradle with medium size wheels where I can roll it around to the "sanding and sawing" deck.

So I think you will like having the boat on wheels, as it can be moved around and off to the side so other projects can come and go.

For you spot maybe a few cheap pieces of plywood cut into tracks to roll it out on as needed. Mine were way overbuilt. Congrats on the garage space!

Cheers
    Kent

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    Top priority job is to rename the garage a boat shed, whoever wants access to the other half will eventually give up and be content with some shelves in the corner.
    funny, now that you mention it there is one item that is not mine...a small cupboard waiting on renovation. It is living a precarious life on a few square feet in the corner

Thanks for the great advice. my major concern with the wooden floor is that I'll be making the perfect habitat for Mr Mouse. That and the risk of delaying getting on with the build itself. A suppose preparation is all part of the fun.

@SignalCharlie I really like the strongback on rollers/rails. that was what I had in mind and was just curious what others had figured out. time will tell what I land up doing myself