Thread: 45'-50' boat on beach

Default 45'-50' boat on beach

This morning there is a good sized cabin cruiser on the beach on the north side of Discovery park. I'm guessing a '60s era woody, maybe even a Chris Craft or something similar, looks to be in nice shape. Sorry I don't have pics, I can see it with binocs but don't have a telephoto camera.

I was was alerted to it by a friend who saw it earlier this am. He called the Coast Guard, they said they had already been notified. This was before high tide when she was still afloat, yet no one has been near it. It is now well after high tide and she is high and dry in a very rocky area. The upcoming high tides are all midnight or later, suppose she will be there a while.

Default Re: 45'-50' boat on beach

Gentle seas or bumpy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Gentle seas or bumpy?
    Currently 14 knots on-shore right there. Northerly with a lot of fetch, so yes, bumpy. But she's a ways from the water now, completely dry.

Got out of the channel and ran aground coming into the locks?
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Got out of the channel and ran aground coming into the locks?
    Dont think so because she's way west of the channel and sandbar. With this northerly, it seems more likely she came loose somewhere north of here, or lost power and didn't deploy an anchor. It's a puzzle.

It may have been on a poorly maintained mooring and simply broke free with no one onboard. It's a common enough occurrence. About a year ago we had a, less than bristol shape, fibreglass boat on our beach with the mooring, buoy and helix anchor, still attached. Fortunately the owner came and towed her away on the next high tide. And it didn't leak any fuel or other nasty.

Jeff

Except I can't think of any mooring grounds north of here. It's pretty much all open Puget Sound and too exposed for private moorings.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Except I can't think of any mooring grounds north of here. It's pretty much all open Puget Sound and too exposed for private moorings.

We had an old woody ( Plywoody: was an Owens) beach in my 'hood last fall. It was set adrift in the middle of the night, ostensibly by its owner, who could not be found to claim the boat. It resides still in the town impound yard, we taxpayers footing the bill for removal.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Update:
    At high tide last night she floated free and they had a zodiac tied on her hip and left the beach. Once in deep water, the lights came on and it looked like they fired up her engine and motored away. At this morning's coffee table discussion (most of us boaters) it was thought that this boat is a well known semi-derelict that has been hanging around the marina lately and has been pulled off various shores more than once, which might explain why the CG did not physically respond.

We had a boat like that, marvelously named St Jude. She'd failed as a fishing boat. Two dreamers took her on, rebuilt the stem, and then failed at fishing. She bounced around Lewis Bay for a couple of years winter and summer sometimes coming adrift. The town was reluctant to condemn as there was by then no one to bill. Last I saw of her was during a mild hurricane where the eye was east of us. St Jude came off her mooring (chafe) early and I was lucky to see her a bit off drifting our way. I got the engine running and fenders at hand. St Jude was making a slow square drift down on us. I was able to swing on the mooring that her high bow got stabbed by our bowsprit, deflecting her down the starboard side where ran along moving fenders. She disappeared into the inner harbor after bouncing off and dislodging another boat and both ended up as splinters against the steamship dock.

Thanks for the update Ron. I'm tempted to pass opinion on the whole affair but a brief moment of reflection informs me that I know nothing of this boat, her owners or their situation, so I'll just say that I'm glad they got the boat off and I hope I'm never in the position where I have to do that myself. Along with a mental note to pay attention to my ground tackle, mooring ground and the amount of water under my keel.

I've never run aground but I did once misjudge the last buoy coming out of the South end of the Swinomish Channel in Savona and cut the corner. I felt the keel just start to dig into the mud but fortunately we were going very slow and I was able to get her off into deep water before she became mired. A friend of mine was not so lucky, and spent an unexpected night there with his girlfriend on her first trip aboard. But she married him in the end so I guess it worked out.
    - Chris

Thanks for the update Ron. I'm tempted to pass opinion on the whole affair but a brief moment of reflection informs me that I know nothing of this boat, her owners or their situation, so I'll just say that I'm glad they got the boat off and I hope I'm never in the position where I have to do that myself. Along with a mental note to pay attention to my ground tackle, mooring ground and the amount of water under my keel.

I've never run aground but I did once misjudge the last buoy coming out of the South end of the Swinomish Channel in Savona and cut the corner. I felt the keel just start to dig into the mud but fortunately we were going very slow and I was able to get her off into deep water before she became mired. A friend of mine was not so lucky, and spent an unexpected night there with his girlfriend on her first trip aboard. But she married him in the end so I guess it worked out.
    Doesn't "I felt the keel just start to dig into the mud" mean you actually have run aground?

You do know the old saw about "There are 2 kinds of sailors..." right?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Doesn't "I felt the keel just start to dig into the mud" mean you actually have run aground?

You do know the old saw about "There are 2 kinds of sailors..." right?
    Yup. Perhaps I'm the second kind But I'm going with "if you're still moving then you aren't aground, the water is just a bit more solid right here"
    - Chris

Yup. Perhaps I'm the second kind But I'm going with "if you're still moving then you aren't aground, the water is just a bit more solid right here"
    Well, I dunno - but luckily we have Ian on this thread & he is arbiter of all things skinny water (or lack thereof)-wise - so I'll let him judge!

^^^ Fair enough!
    - Chris

Most of our groundings are the consequences of exploration, we're well prepared to kedge off, and we try to hit on a rising tide. And if we do tack on to the beach at mid-tide ebbing, we get out and scrub the bottom.

I was sailing Granuaile into Waquoit a bit after the tide. For a ways I was thinking there was a real septic problem in the bay until I looked astern and saw that I was roiling up the rather nasty bottom. It was a great Kedgers' Club moment to stop exactly abreast the others were were to raft up with.

If you bounce a rock or hard reef it counts even if you don't stop. So why not the mud. Think of a touch and go as a bit like counting coup.

Most of our groundings are the consequences of exploration
    There you go. I was just "exploring" what happens if you miss the channel and try to head out across a mud flat covered by 3' of water in a boat with a 3' 6" draft. But Ian has spoken. I will acknowledge that I have run aground. And perhaps practice my kedging against the next time it happens, when I may not be so lucky.
    - Chris

There you go. I was just "exploring" what happens if you miss the channel and try to head out across a mud flat covered by 3' of water in a boat with a 3' 6" draft. But Ian has spoken. I will acknowledge that I have run aground. And perhaps practice my kedging against the next time it happens, when I may not be so lucky.
    Dontcha feel better now that you're in the first group?

^^^ Much. Like getting the first scratch in a new car. Just makes all the other ones easier to bear.
    - Chris

Chris, I agree with you on holding off on rash opinion on this, and I should point out that I don't know if this is the same boat at all. I might be casting shade on a perfectly innocent boater which is not my intent. I consider myself VERY lucky that this hasn't happened to me... yet. It is a little scary in Snoose (and I think Petrel may be similar) in that they are very deep narrow boats. If mine laid over, I'm not sure she would come back up. So I really try to stay out of the blue part of the charts as much as possible. The scariest place to me is Swinomish Channel, but not the channel itself or even the North end. It is the South end that scares me because there is a wicked cross current and it is known to silt a lot and change from season to season. Staying on the range markers takes a lot of concentration, and hopefully a tug and log barge is not coming toward you in the middle of the channel.

I'm glad the boat in my OP is off the beach, and hope there wasn't too much damage.

It is the South end that scares me because there is a wicked cross current and it is known to silt a lot and change from season to season. Staying on the range markers takes a lot of concentration, and hopefully a tug and log barge is not coming toward you in the middle of the channel.
    Oh yes indeed. That's just where I touched in Savona. And the dog-leg turn at Hole-in-the-Wall right after the range markers is bit tight as well. But I have to ask, have you gone through the little passage between North Pender and South Pender? I think that one defines "skinny water" for me. Skinny in every direction!
    - Chris

I have been thru the Pender connecting channel, but for some reason don't remember it as too stressful for depth. Maybe ignorance is bliss. I do remember that there is a bridge in the middle and a blind corner where you are advised to sound a horn in case someone is coming toward you. But the low bridge keeps those pesky sailboats out of the way.

I have been thru the Pender connecting channel, but for some reason don't remember it as too stressful for depth.
    Maybe not - I'm probably making it shallower in memory than it was in real life. But narrow and twisty for sure.
    - Chris

Oh yes indeed. That's just where I touched in Savona. And the dog-leg turn at Hole-in-the-Wall right after the range markers is bit tight as well. But I have to ask, have you gone through the little passage between North Pender and South Pender? I think that one defines "skinny water" for me. Skinny in every direction!
    I guess I am part of a club then: I too kissed the bottom going out the south end of the dog leg turn. Messed up the markers and got on the wrong side of one and there was no water under the keel. I was dead slow and backed off. First time aground in Leketoy. Kind of nice get it out of the way.

I know a guy who bought a motorcycle (adventure bike with crash bars) who pushed it over in the parking lot when he picked it up at the dealership. "I know I am going to drop this bike and so I wanted to get it out of the way..."
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Think of a touch and go as a bit like counting coup.
    Brilliant! I *so* need to remember that one! Thank you, Mr. McColgin. Now I can say simply that while I haven't scalped any clams, I've counted a lot of coup.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    Brilliant! I *so* need to remember that one! Thank you, Mr. McColgin. Now I can say simply that while I haven't scalped any clams, I've counted a lot of coup.

Alex
    Wouldn't that be beaucoup de coup?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I have been thru the Pender connecting channel,... But the low bridge keeps those pesky sailboats out of the way.
    Umm, not entirely, there is 29 feet of clearance at high water under that bridge. I have sailed through there, wind and tide were friendly that day.

Jamie

And now I think we've drifted farther than the boat in the OP
    - Chris

And now I think we've drifted farther than the boat in the OP
    And I helped!