Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Unstayed Carbon Mast for Small Boat

Default Re: Unstayed Carbon Mast for Small Boat

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    He is talking about lacing the sail to the mast like in traditional rigging but instead of using a continuous line using what in fact is a soft shackle, only simpler (fixed eye on one end, stick as a button on the other). They can be connected as hoops to themselfs or diagonally to other soft shackles replicating traditional lacing patterns.

Thank you Mr. Fuller, this is an exceptional ideea. You solved my main concern about using traditional lacing, not beeing able to quickly remove the sail from the mast. Thank you again for such a simple solution, you made my day.
    Glad it helped. Don't thank me, thank the Dutch were I first saw this on traditonal fishing boats. On large ones the sails were set back from the mast and you could use the tight robands to climb the rig. On the bigger boats robands were fitted with parrel beads. Going alternate diagonal means that they get slacker as the sail gets lowered, tighter as it gets raised.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by upchurchmr View Post
    I can read every word you wrote, but I still don't understand.
    Could you provide a picture?
    LOL! I had to go step by step, twice, before I thought I had even an approximation of reality between my ears!

Gentlemen, I am loving the high level of this conversation. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Glad it helped. Don't thank me, thank the Dutch were I first saw this on traditonal fishing boats. On large ones the sails were set back from the mast and you could use the tight robands to climb the rig. On the bigger boats robands were fitted with parrel beads. Going alternate diagonal means that they get slacker as the sail gets lowered, tighter as it gets raised.
    Well, I can not thank some nameless guy of old, but I sure can thank the guy presenting it to me.