Thread: Epoxy Slathered Plywood Ozarkian

Default Epoxy Slathered Plywood Ozarkian

Sine I bought my second home in Arkansas on Bull Shoals Lake I wanted a Ozarks-sytle flat bottom boat for trout fishing the White River. I'm going to buy a new fiberglass boat with a 40hp jet motor when I semi-retire in four years but I wanted something I could use in the meantime without having a brand new boat languishing in the garage, used half a dozen times a year.

I found plans for Jim Michalak's Ozarkian and jumped in.

It's an inexpensively built boat designed to float the rivers without power, just drifting and steering with a paddle while fishing or sight seeing. It's 20' long and as designed 34" wide. I emailed Jim about a couple of changes and he approved. I added 6" to the width of the sole and increased the thickness of the transom to accommodate a 4 hp motor so I can drift down while fishing and then motor back to the boat ramp to avoid having to position another vehicle at the takeout ramp downstream.

It's being built with lumber yard BCX sanded plywood and will be epoxy coated and then painted inside and out with premium latex house paint.

I started it last week and hope to finish by the end of May for my next trip down the first of June.

Default Re: Epoxy Slathered Plywood Ozarkian

Interesting! On beefing up the transom remember that the thickness just holds the clamps / mount -- where the rubber meets the road is the join with the side panels, the bottom and any gunwales.

Think of the force of the outboard as being just like attaching a 12' 2x6 to the transom with most of it sticking up in the air. Imagine several heavy people standing inside the bow of the boat, then imagine others pulling forwards and aft on that 2x6 using ropes tied to the top. All that force is transferred to the joint between transom and the sides and bottom. So whether the transom is 1/2" or 4" thick, it is the strength of that joint that matters.

I'd double up the ply inside from the aft frame to the transom, and you might even want to add a cleat / frame of solid wood on the interior of the side and bottom.

One other piece of unrequested advice is a warning about latex house paint - give it at least three weeks to cure if possible. Oil paint can cure in 6-7 days, but water-based latex paint can take MUCH longer. I've seen it peel off in large sheets from boats built by friends who launched too quickly after painting. http://homeguides.sfgate.com/latex-p...ime-72926.html

Have fun and keep the photos coming.
    http://duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/ozarkian/index.htm
    Last edited by Thorne; 04-16-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Thanks on the tip on curing. I didn't know that. I was going to add two transom knees when I get it all glued up to tie the transom to the sole. There will also be frames to tie the transom to the next frame.

Frames epoxied in place, coat of neat epoxy on both surfaces, then thickened before clamping. Gunwales routered, scarfed and epoxied on.

Flipped it over tonight and epoxied on bottom chine logs and laid up one side of the sole. I was much more careful about cleaning up this time. The first time I was worried about the epoxy kicking off and was rushing just to get both sides clamped up. This time I knew I had plenty of time. Plus it is much easier to see and reach when elevated. Also I heeded the advice I read that stated the obvious - the best way to clean up errant epoxy is with a paper towel when wet instead of sanding when dry. All part of the learning process.

Got the bottom faired to the chine logs, epoxied and screwed down. Next is to radius the bottom edge and two layers of 6 oz fiberglass tape.My shop is a disaster area.

Got two layers of 6 oz tape on the chines and then one layer of 6 oz cloth on the entire bottom. Scarfed together the bottom strakes. They go on next bedded in thickened epoxy then roll on a couple of coats of graphite filled epoxy over the entire bottom.

YEE HAAAAA!!!

that design/style has been around a LONG time

my grandfather paddled my dad on the White River back in about 1924/5 when motors just WEREN'T...

i didn't get my first ride in one until 1961, with my grandfather, and we had a 7-1/2hp Johnson(boat anchor) by then

i'm personally on my 2nd FRP White River Boat now and i'm thinkin you'll most likely delay the purchase of one of them thar new fangled fire breathin jet powered models once you find out how SWEET a wooden one is w/ a smaller 4-stroke outboard really is

love Jim's work

listen to him

HE has a clue...

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Sweet old pic Steve! I love it. I'm already priming myself for a 9.9 if the 4hp doesn't get it done.

I have to say, this design is not one I would have expected to be popular. I suppose it must be the ease of building, but with a single chine/lap which looks to be about 8 inches of free board has my safety sense in high alert.

I'd be worried about even a moderate 20 foot powerboat whizing by and swamping it...

Perhaps its not really a problem in the water you'll be on, so enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Dirc View Post
    I have to say, this design is not one I would have expected to be popular. I suppose it must be the ease of building, but with a single chine/lap which looks to be about 8 inches of free board has my safety sense in high alert.

I'd be worried about even a moderate 20 foot powerboat whizing by and swamping it...

Perhaps its not really a problem in the water you'll be on, so enjoy
    LOL, there are no powerboats. The river goes from 6" deep in many places to a couple of pools between. It's all good.

Got the...skids? I don't know what they are called, installed. Epoxied, screwed, filleted with thickened epoxy and taped with fiberglass.

Sanded the sides. Flipped it tonight. Nice to have a 20' boat that you and your wife can lift off the table and flip. I doubt it is 200 lbs. Supposed to be 250 when done. Sanded some more. Had to reorder supplies so visual progress will slow for a couple of days. Still have some sanding and little interior features to make. Want to tie in the rear transom with some tansom knees so that will take some cutting and fitting.

I love building "lumberyard" boats because your creativity is the only limiting factor since materials are so easy to obtain. A word of caution.. you are doing the right thing with the fiberglass reinforcements on the bottom. But with lumberyard lumber, it's got to be kept dry. Small breaks/cracks in the epoxy and the soaking it will take (like being left out in the rain assuming you don't store it in the water) accelerate rot like no-ones business.

As long as you can store it under cover, it will last forever, but the sun will create checks in the plywood opening up a million little cracks in the epoxy letting water in. Keep it out of Sun/Rain and you will be golden.

Realistically this is a 5 year boat for me. I plan on it being wet 10 days a year, stored in the garage the rest of the year. So worst case 50 days in the sun/water in its lifetime. Other than the bottom for rock abrasion I seriously debated just going straight to primer/housepaint for the sides and interior but I have epoxy and a roller and I'm not afraid to use them. It's a chance to learn the epoxy and glassing for my next project. My Atkin Ninigret plans should be here any day...
    Last edited by Stein; 05-01-2017 at 02:38 PM.

It's the little things that take time. Laid out, cut and fit the transom knees, laminated two 3/8" ply with epoxy. Ties in the transom, station before it, sole below and seat above. Should tie it all together into a rigid box. Still need to add water drains and air circulation holes. Going to add two more corner blocks between the plywood sides and transom.

Transom knees installed.

Interesting project. Good luck with it.

Just curious - why is the boat so long? If it's for fishing with just you and maybe another person or two, 20' seems unnecessarily long. Is there a design or regional tradition reason for the length?

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?

Kind of the minimum length for fly fishing for two. It takes a lot of space while casting. Fishing three with conventional gear still has plenty of room. Could do four if one is a child. They have been 20' for as long as I can remember.

Front and rear seats are in, one coat of epoxy inside and out. Sand tomorrow and possibly another coat before paint.

Here's what a $100 trailer looks like, stripped of old bunks and brackets.

Sanded, painted, brackets re-welded in proper position, light brackets made and welded, new tires, new bunks and carpet.

Finished. Not a moment too soon. Heading down to Arkansas Thursday with it. Maiden voyage tomorrow evening.

Bought a new 9.9 four stroke for it.

y'all have fun now, y'hear!

sw

steve

Success! Maiden voyage went off without a hitch. Boat performed flawlessly. Very stable when standing with two of us on the same side, handled chop well and it did 16 gps downwind, 15 upwind with two aboard with the mighty 9.9. Note we were stocked with all of the required high quality safety gear that we could dredge up since my bass boat is down in AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post

Congratulations, quick, uncluttered and looks really great! Its got peaceful times, trout fishing, written all over it.
    Why would you want to replace that with a fiberglass beast with a 40hp jet engine? Sounds obscene!
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

Boat is now at its permanent home on the White River in AR. It handled, rode and fished well with four aboard. Stable when standing and fishing. River is running very high at 27,000 CFS with a lot of current. I'd guess current is running about 7 mph but no problems making good time upstream.

she looks right at home there!!!

when you get that little girl in a group w/ fg boats the folks will be ooooing & aaaaaahing over her instead of them thar fancy smancy plastique ones :-)

sw

steve

Looks great. Prob will last you more than 5 years. Keep posting about how she holds p. I'm starting my project in July and this boat is very inspirational. Tight lines!
    Last edited by flyfisher47; 06-07-2017 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    she looks right at home there!!!

when you get that little girl in a group w/ fg boats the folks will be ooooing & aaaaaahing over her instead of them thar fancy smancy plastique ones :-)

sw
    I did get a nice comment at the ramp when we were loading out. They were surprised that it was plywood or that I built it. The current was really moving and I was having issues getting it on the trailer. He said "it must be really light" and he was really surprised when I told her that my wife and I can lift it. I question if it is even 250 lbs without motor.

I have some real bad news for you. With moderate care, that boat's liable to last the rest of your life.

She looks real nice, and I'm glad y'all love her.

Please do be safe and enjoy!

Peace,
    Robert

Stein, any chance you can update the photobucket or link to your pics?