Thread: Atkins sloop?

Belfast and Marshall Cove, Islesboro, Maine

Default Atkins sloop?

Hi, I'm trying to find out the design name for a boat that's presented as being an Atkins, and certainly looks the part. She's 30' on deck, about 8'6" beam, 4+ feet draft. Fairly long bowsprit, bald-headed gaff rig, transom stern with outboard rudder. The boat was built around 1990 in Brooklin, ME. Nice boat. With the exception of her being gaff rigged instead of marconi, she looks very much like a Tally Ho.
    Last edited by seo; 04-12-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Default Re: Atkins sloop?

Since nobody else has said it yet...This question demands pictures
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Do you know who the builder was? And since someone has to say it: it's Atkin. It's a boat not a diet.

Steven

Belfast and Marshall Cove, Islesboro, Maine

S. Bauer, I stand corrected on the spelling. But poking around, I found that there still is an Atkin design office, with a catalogue of designs narrated in Wm Atkin's inimitable prose style. Based on looking at the designs, I'm pretty sure the boat in question is a "Tally Ho" with a Marconi Rig.

Raising the questions, if you care, as to whether she was built to legitimately bought plans or is an approximation from study plans, and whether she was built accurately even if built to legit plans.

I personally think this matters. She's being sold as an Atkin and that might or might not be true and might or might not matter to you, but you are not likely to be her last swain and it's unfair to pass along any misrepresentation. Some careful measurements to get such things as the actual amount of rocker, heights at bow, stern and least, rake of the transom, and some waterlines would give Atkin enough information as to what she really is, even if you can't figure the actual builder.

G'luck

The plans for Tally-Ho are only $250. It seems silly for anyone to steal the design when the plans are so cheap relative to the building cost.
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)