Thread: Duracraft 8" benchtop drill press help

Default Duracraft 8" benchtop drill press help

I was given a Duracraft 8" benchtop drill press, manufactured in '84. Cheap, ubiquitous, like Central Machinery, still, I can't find a source for a manual or parts. Any advice about refurbishing, re placing bearings etc?

Default Re: Duracraft 8" benchtop drill press help

Two suggestions:

A lot of those drill presses were made by the same company and rebranded so you might look at drill presses by CM and similar, they might have the same internal parts. My drill press is also by a little known brand, but I found a manual for an identical model by another retailer.

Bearings are likely a stock size, likely metric in your drill press, you could pull them and then measure ID, OD, thickness and buy replacements from a bearing house or online.

Alan
    https://sites.google.com/site/helium12sofsailboat/

Quote Originally Posted by SNAPMAN View Post
    Two suggestions:

A lot of those drill presses were made by the same company and rebranded so you might look at drill presses by CM and similar, they might have the same internal parts. My drill press is also by a little known brand, but I found a manual for an identical model by another retailer.

Bearings are likely a stock size, likely metric in your drill press, you could pull them and then measure ID, OD, thickness and buy replacements from a bearing house or online.

Alan
    https://sites.google.com/site/helium12sofsailboat/
    Bearings have a number on the edge of the race, order new ones by that. Any bearing supplier will have them.
    The only thing you might have trouble with is the return spring on the quill rise and fall, and the best way to sort that is to take it out (if broken, not uncommon) and take it to someone who holds spares for a drill press that looks similar, there are only two or three types and two of those will fit.
    I fix these sorts of things as a part time job and there is very little to go wrong with them. The bearing on the middle pulley in the drive tends to go, the handles for rise and fall tend to strip the threads into the boss that they screw into, and the chucks are crap. You can buy a new chuck, thats no problem, and the rest is simple stuff. You wont need a manual, just remember the order in which it came apart.
    Dont pull it down if it aint broken.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

John W: this is a good opportunity to get my question in. I hope the topic is similar enough, the OP won't mind a bit of drift.

I have a bench-style drillpress, about 30 years old, from Taiwan. It has a morse taper to hold the chuck. The taper is no longer holding. It drops the chuck at the slightest provocation, or none at all.

I have cleaned the taper, inside and out. It still drops the chuck.

I have used the press in place of a lathe, for various light tasks, such as sanding wooden disks cut with a hole saw. I know this is not good for the bearings, has it had a bad effect on the taper?

Is there any way to make this work again?

Thanks.

the OP won't mind a bit of drift.
    Not at all. I'm happy for Mr. Welsford's post, and feel like I have enough to go on now, but I'll follow the thread if it keeps up. Thanks, John. I'm also interested in the subject of tapers and chucks, etc.

'Tapers and chucks' sounds like something a Brit would have for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    John W: this is a good opportunity to get my question in. I hope the topic is similar enough, the OP won't mind a bit of drift.

I have a bench-style drillpress, about 30 years old, from Taiwan. It has a morse taper to hold the chuck. The taper is no longer holding. It drops the chuck at the slightest provocation, or none at all.

I have used the press in place of a lathe, for various light tasks, such as sanding wooden disks cut with a hole saw. I know this is not good for the bearings, has it had a bad effect on the taper?

Thanks.
    I know you asked this question of John, but I am thinking that one of the loctite products should do the trick, or at a pinch, shellac or nail polish (that was an old school version of threadlocker).

I too am interested in what John has to say.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Thanks.
    You say you have 'cleaned' the taper. Did you use a reamer?

This is a 'cheap' DP, no? It is possible you have 'wallered out' the taper with the side loads you subjected it to, but I doubt it . . .

Have you considered that the male part may be bottoming out?

If you can find a way to determine that, your solution may be as simple as grinding off a smidge of the end.
    Rattling the teacups.

Thanks.
    Lap it in with valve lapping compound. Back and forth strokes, not round and round.
    Then clean it carefully and give it a good tap.

I would rather not loctite the chuck in place, as it has 2, one keyless for small bits, one keyed, good up to 1/2". I believe they both drop out. The whole point of a morse taper is to make it possible to change chucks.

It doesn't bottom out. Normally, the morse taper extends through, so the chuck can be removed with a small steel wedge and a sharp upwards whack with the quill. Cutting a bit off the bottom would not help, as there is lots of clearance already.

I cleaned it with solvent and a rag.

I am not sure how I can lap it with back and forth strokes, as there is no contact between the male and female portions once they are free of each other. The vertical travel once they contact is only a few thousandths of an inch, I would think.

Rotational...
    It is often thought that lapping is done by constant rotation, but if there is a high spot it will just lap a groove. So, rotate back and forth only a 1/4 turn or so and don't lose the orientation.

I had the same problem, tried lapping. Finally Loctite to the rescue. Been fine for years now.