Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picture posting woes

Default Re: Picture posting woes

Past performance would suggest this thread will be ignored by Scot. I guess that's fine. Maybe it's better than actually hearing what he thinks. Sometimes that's the case. There's no way of knowing. I can live with that. I've heard good things from those who have talked to him in person. I've never done that. Anyways, the forum will more than likely be here tomorrow, and with a bit of luck pcford will get banned once again.

While we're here, I'd like to make it known that my paint prep and finishing skills are mediocre at best. Orange Peel quality would be a fair assessment. I thought it best that I get out ahead of any rumors.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I met Scot at the WBS a few years ago, and he does seem to be a pretty decent fellow. As for banning pcford, Scot really hates doing it, so he will have to do better than criticizing your painting skills. If it makes you feel better, I can send you a picture of my painting skills that will make your orange peel look more -- appealing. Now as to whether I can post a picture...
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    That's for Woodenboat (or whomever is running the server.) To host everyone.

Some strange comments here. The winning entry was the guy that described the forum software as "agricultural." I have no idea what that means.
    Simple, clunky, heavily engineered, and about 50 years out of date is what it means to an English engineer.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

This is one of the most consistent threads, whining about posting pictures. Folks like to pick on Scot and complain about the technology. First Scot is a fine gent. Being a webmaster, as a collateral duty is not much fun...been there. Second the Forum is a free service and WB doesn't get any revenue from it. And third there are so many free hosting sites that you can post your own pictures and they will stay there and you can control your cyber fate and it won't cost you a thing. I've been doing that for almost 20yrs (well, not for free) and all my pics are still where I put them. So get your pictures posted on something you can control and quit the whining. This a wooden boat forum, talk about boats.
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraftAssociation
    DowneastTSCA.org

TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Quote Originally Posted by SBrookman View Post
    This is one of the most consistent threads, whining about posting pictures. Folks like to pick on Scot and complain about the technology. First Scot is a fine gent. Being a webmaster, as a collateral duty is not much fun...been there. Second the Forum is a free service and WB doesn't get any revenue from it. And third there are so many free hosting sites that you can post your own pictures and they will stay there and you can control your cyber fate and it won't cost you a thing. I've been doing that for almost 20yrs (well, not for free) and all my pics are still where I put them. So get your pictures posted on something you can control and quit the whining. This a wooden boat forum, talk about boats.
    People would love to talk about boats, but this forum is increasingly getting in the way. From what I have learned by doing investigation on my own...the cost for WB to host images would be modest indeed. If there is an issue with money, the WB could monetize the traffic here. The way things are is clumsy and frustrating. This affects newbies that come here to ask questions...just the sort that WB should be encouraging.

Well, I've subscribed to WB for quite a few years and bought the magazine at the newsagent regularly otherwise. Over the last few years though, while the magazine remains of high quality, I've found it's not really worth my while as so much of it has been dealt with in some way before. It's a great magazine and I'd recommend it to anyone but the reason I've kept my subscription going is the WBF. I just think that if I'm going to be a regular user of the WBF then I ought to contribute to the magazine. A few days ago, I found out that I could subscribe to Professional Boatbuilder so I thought well, that might be a way to see some new material etc. and nearly subscribed. But then I reminded myself that this whole P'bucket thing and the intransigence of WB in refusing to arrange hosting of images or even to communicate about possible solutions, has annoyed me too much. I'm not going to join Facebook and I'm not going to risk posting a whole lot of images again just to see it all trashed, again. So, sorry WB, you might not agree with how I feel about this but there it is. If I have to go through hoops to participate fully in the WBF then it's just not for me. Do your bit and I'll do mine.

Rick

Hosted on Facebook, another possible solution.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Not a solution, Facebook is a disaster. But I love seeing pictures of your place Mr S.

Rick

Why is it a disaster Rick, from a photo hosting perspective ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Agricultural is the sort of engineering you get when a farmer has a good idea, and goes out into the shed and knocks something up from stuff lying around the farm, using nothing more than an angle grinder and a stick welder. Often sufficient to get the job done, but rarely elegant.
    I had a good idea to build a boat and I am building that boat from stuff lying around in my shed, and my shed is smack bang in the middle of a farming area... now I understand why aspects of my boat look a bit agricultural...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Why is it a disaster Rick, from a photo hosting perspective ?
    It seems to take over people's lives!

Rick

Someone said that Scot would respond if there was a picture of a female breast.
    I think someone has to report the picture to Scot, since he doesn't actually read all of the posts.
    This is a picture of a female in Brest, France:

I have been a subscriber since issue #4.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

This is working for me. https://postimages.org/signup
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Peter for the suggestion. After stuffing around with google images from my google drive and finding no way through roadblocks i finnaly gave up, joined post images and got some results.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Hosted on Facebook, another possible solution.

Will you please explain how you did it?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyfox View Post
    Will you please explain how you did it?
    I'd like to know too.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I posted the image to FB then used right mouse, copy image, then past here. Very simple on Chrome .
    Grateful Dead

Click on a photo in FB, it "blows up" with a description. That's not a good description, but just click on a photo and then right click on that new view of it. Select "copy image location"then come back here and insert it. Voila!
    Steve B
    DowneastTSCA.org

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Which browser is that Steve?
    Grateful Dead

I did the same in Chrome but which browser you use shouldn't matter. A picture I hosted on Facebook and linked to here nearly a month ago is still visible so concerns about them changing image links after 48 hours seem unfounded. I set up a Facebook account with everything locked down so nobody can find it - I created it solely for photo hosting as an experiment, which seems to have worked OK. I don't get any emails from Facebook (you can turn them off) and I don't get any stupid friend requests or other people's posts on my 'wall' because nobody else knows it exists. I don't want to be a part of Facebook except for taking advantage of them for photo hosting.....

Quote Originally Posted by SBrookman View Post
    Click on a photo in FB, it "blows up" with a description. That's not a good description, but just click on a photo and then right click on that new view of it. Select "copy image location"then come back here and insert it. Voila!
    Thanks. I am using firefox and also use the "copy image location", but to paste it I need to first click the "Insert Image" icon in the message toolbar, paste the link in in the space provided under the "From URL" tab and uncheck the box "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

Which browser is that Steve?
    Firefox
    Steve B
    DowneastTSCA.org

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyfox View Post
    Thanks. I am using firefox and also use the "copy image location", but to paste it I need to first click the "Insert Image" icon in the message toolbar, paste the link in in the space provided under the "From URL" tab and uncheck the box "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".
    Firefox also has the [right click on image] 'View Image Info' option. That opens a window with the image url and some image size information. It also has a list of every image on the page, which can be handy if you want several images from the same page, or you have an image that for some reason doesn't give a good address directly with the Copy Image Location option. If you can get View Image Info on any image on the page, you can get a valid address for the ones that you couldn't grab directly. Sometimes you can only get it to respond on a thumbnail, but that will still get the rest of the images from the same page.

Unfortunately none of this will work from an iPad. Still looking for a solution.
    I've taken to posting the build more on Facebook than the forum. Its just too much of a PITA to deal with here, and it's so easy on FB. Shame as I'll be working on Catnapper eventually and I'd like to put the resto here. Maybe by then a solution will be made available.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

<Helpful comment from forum moderator goes here.>
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

https://postimages.org/

This works with an ipad... sign-up with an email address, it seems good.

The problem with Facebook images here is that they aren't stable. The address will change after a month or two and the photo will disappear.

I'm downloading tapatalk onto my phone, which is also the pretty much the only camera I use. I've seen comments that it makes putting photos here very easy. Does all the web posting and copying for you or something.

Quote Originally Posted by sproggy View Post
    I did the same in Chrome but which browser you use shouldn't matter. A picture I hosted on Facebook and linked to here nearly a month ago is still visible so concerns about them changing image links after 48 hours seem unfounded. I set up a Facebook account with everything locked down so nobody can find it - I created it solely for photo hosting as an experiment, which seems to have worked OK. I don't get any emails from Facebook (you can turn them off) and I don't get any stupid friend requests or other people's posts on my 'wall' because nobody else knows it exists. I don't want to be a part of Facebook except for taking advantage of them for photo hosting.....
    Friend request sent

I am not that computer literate.
    What works for me is to put the photo on google photos. This is a free service and should stay active beyond my time here.
    I open a reply post in WBF and shrink to half the screen. I open google photos in the other half of the screen so
    I can see both the reply post and the photo, click on the photo to open then just drag and drop onto the WBF reply post.
    It does not work if you do not fully open the photo. I am using Windows 7 and Google Chrome.
    It is probably a good idea to use Google Photos as a backup for your photos and videos in any case.

I somehow missed the post about Facebook changing image URLs after a day or two, but several of us have experienced them changing after a MONTH or two -- which is why I always put them in a FB album and also give the album URL (which doesn't seem to change).
    Here's a thread of mine from 2012 where the Facebook image URLs have changed but the album / "media set" has stayed the same -- http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ighlight=delta

Quote Originally Posted by sproggy View Post
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Tapatalk in my iPhone is working well for me. Very simple to post pics straight from the phone. The 3rd party hosting must all be done by magic. Here's my newly tidied workbench on board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now on the Forum FAQ page http://forum.woodenboat.com/faq.php

POSTING PICTURES

...Click the image icon when you are in the posting section
    ...Select From My Computer unless linking from a URL
    ...Click Select Files (you need to know where you stashed them)
    ...Click Upload Files. You'll then see a thumbnail of the image
    ...Click Post Quick Reply and it will post in a bigger size.

For a "how-to post images" series of screenshots, click Posting Images.

REMEMBER: if you post inappropriate images, you lose your posting privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    Now on the Forum FAQ page http://forum.woodenboat.com/faq.php

POSTING PICTURES

...Click the image icon when you are in the posting section
    ...Select From My Computer unless linking from a URL
    ...Click Select Files (you need to know where you stashed them)
    ...Click Upload Files. You'll then see a thumbnail of the image
    ...Click Post Quick Reply and it will post in a bigger size.

For a "how-to post images" series of screenshots, click Posting Images.

REMEMBER: if you post inappropriate images, you lose your posting privileges.

Wow! This is big news. Thanks, Scot.

Except I can't get it to work from my ipad or MacBook. ):
    Last edited by StevenBauer; 09-08-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Brilliant Scot. Oh. I got the exceeds your quota message. On iPad. I do hope you can make this work.