Thread: Mechanic gloves

Default Mechanic gloves

I am constantly getting small cuts while doing my projects and because I take aspirin everyday and I bleed all over what I am working on. I have never seen a wood worker wearing gloves. But I am thinking about trying gloves to stop the small cuts. Do any of y'all use gloves and if so can you recommend a brand.

Default Re: Mechanic gloves

I've had many cuts, abrasions, blood blisters and bruises from not wearing gloves and pretty much no injurues while wearing gloves that I am wearing gloves more often doing wood work projects.

I always and I mean always wear gloves for my metal work. These are my new favorite gloves: MaxiFlex Ultimate Nitrile Micro-Foam Coated Gloves

I keep clean pairs for wood and separate pairs for metal which generally get filthy.
    - John

I have a few pairs of natural deerskin gloves that I really like.
    the leather is thin and supple - not like mechanics gloves at all.
    The thickness of the leather is the ticket: more thinner = more better
    lambskin, deerskin drivers gloves, golf gloves are also nice (but only available in white).

+1 Deerskin is nice. If you aren't dealing with wet or chemical messes, they are hard to beat.

John's nitrile dipped gloves are the type I usually use.
    3/4 dipped nitrile on jersey are cheaper than dirt and you can wear them out and replace them. The jersey back breaths and the nitrile resists almost everything. Mud, oil, whatever washes off.
    12 pairs for $17 http://www.mutualscrew.com/product/w...FU-TfgodC-8DdA
    I prefer the style shown here; http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...Fc5hfgodFtcPpw which has more ventilation and still costs very little. 12 pairs for $40 https://www.gmesupply.com/34-874-g-t...FYJofgodg9wLpg
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Those skin-tight thin surgical-type gloves keep your hands clean and out of contact with solvents, and those "cut-proof" metal mesh meat-cutter's safety gloves are sometimes used by woodcarvers using sharp hand tools, but beyond that, the way I was taught, granted it was a long time ago now, was that gloves, rings, long sleeves, and long hair were never, ever, to be worn around any sort of moving machinery on a boat or ashore. The danger of the glove getting caught up in some bit of moving machinery or power tool is great and the consequences can be devastating. https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/Accide...eyword_list=on

Point made at 1:10 below:

With my joints getting pressure sensitive, I need the extra padding of leather, but most leather gloves have seams where they press on the joints where fingers merge with palm. I've found some really cheapo gloves at Harbor Freight that have a one piece palm & finger section. The only problem is finding them in the right shape and size to fit my hands. I stop by from time to time and try on every pair on the hook. Usually, none of them fit right but occasionally I find one pair that fits.

regards,
    Joe
    These days, everything I do is just "puttering around"

I use deerskin gloves for just about everything that doesn't require fingertip sensitivity. My hands would be wrecked without them as I habitually hammer, stab, slice and otherwise mangle them with any tool I'm using. Klein deerskin gloves are very nice but the cheap ones from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. work fine and I don't care so much if they get mucked up. As for fit, none of them fit perfectly at first but once I wear them for a while they all take the shape of my hand and fit fine. For greasy work or solvents I use nitrile gloves. But as Bob notes, no gloves when using power tools.
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

The safety issue with gloves is a major concern. I only work on short sleeves for that reason. I am mostly thinking about using the for handling material and hand tool work. That seems to be where I get all of the cuts.

Thanks to everyone for all the great feedback.

Look for Turtle gloves or Turtle skin gloves for cut and puncture resistant gloves that can be quite snug fitting and safe to wear - used by police and customs of pat-downs and searches where risk of a syringe or knife are present.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

These are terrific. You can still pick up a washer off the bench, yet your hands don't sweat.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grease-Mo...-030/202709681

Im with Cleek. Gloves and machinery dont mix. Long hair, long beards, loose clothes, dangly jewelry are all targets for spinning blades and chucks.
    What you need is caution and forethought.

Any woodworker whose hands arent a roadmap of scars isnt working hard enough.

Being right handed; my left hand is all banged and chewed up but I have all of all of my ten fingers.

I never yet cut myself on a power tool (and I subscribe to short sleeves, no gloves, and no dangling anything around these tools) but have plenty of nicks from chisels and hammers. Most of my cuts come though from banging knuckles on sharp edges and corners of pieces as I'm assembling them. Interested to try out some of these gloves!

Kevlar safety gloves are worth mentioning as they are so cheap, about £3-£8 here in the UK. Used in the glass industry. Apparently don't absorb water - I've been meaning to try some for sailing. Different thicknesses and with or without soft grips.

http://www.safetygloves.co.uk/polyco...loves-750.html

As the man said in the video, "I knew not to calibrate while the lathe was running." It wasn't the gloves that caused the problem. It was a "production" attitude, ignoring hazards to get something done more quickly.

I've worn gloves all my life operating farm machinery, power tools, climbing towers and masts, handling lines and materials... It's other people who got me hurt on the job. When I work alone, I don't get hurt because I take all the time necessary to do it without getting hurt.

regards,
    Joe
    These days, everything I do is just "puttering around"