Thread: Recommendations for a Norway driving trip?

Default Recommendations for a Norway driving trip?

We are planning a two week trip in June, landing in Trondheim, and driving south through Bergen, Stavanger, and back to Oslo, then three days in Stockholm before returning home. I wonder if anyone has recommendations for traditional boat/maritime culture museums, etc., that we should build into the itinerary. All ideas are welcome, as we are just beginning to put the route together, but I imagine I'll have to pick and choose based on the realities of time, and my wife's interest in weaving/textile locations as well. Thanks for your suggestions!
    Proud but humble member of the LPBC

Default Re: Recommendations for a Norway driving trip?

In Stockholm, you may want to visit the Vasa museum..

http://www.vasamuseet.se

/Fredrik

You should visit the Viking museum across the harbor from Oslo.

You may have prematurely rejected alternate means of transportation. I took the coastal steamer south from Trondheim in August without hard to get reservations or sky high cabin fees, just as a passenger on the loose. You can get off where you want, like beautiful Alesund which has some traditional boat exhibit in a park which I encountered off hours. A neat counterintuitive trick is to then join the northbound steamer at Alesund which alone goes deep into the superstar Gierenger (sp?) fjord then back to Alesund where (probably after hotel stay) you switch to the southbound steamer to Bergen,

It's interesting to sample the quite varied steamer boats instead of stuck on a random one like those on the ultra expensive long haul plan.. You aren't supposed to lay down on the lounge furniture, but if you are tired at a wee hour you can kind of nap in a plush upright chair. I use trains onward to Oslo and Stockholm, but anyway in the Bergen area don't miss the Sognefjord (can connect a ferry to Flam cog railway) or the undervisited Hardangerfjord. You will see lots and lots of unusual boats at close quarters on the water.
    Last edited by rudderless; 04-09-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Driving into Lysebotn then taking the car ferry out to Stavanger is neat. See all the basejumping fun off Kjerag, see the Pulpit on the way out. Haven't been in almost twenty years, but when I was there rental cars were very expensive. Sort the car before you get there so you aren't $urprised. Pretty everywhere. You could probably get everywhere you need by bus and ferry. Have fun.
    Edit to add: Bring rain gear, and those silk eye patch things for sleeping when it is light out.
    Last edited by sailnstink; 04-09-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: add

I remember a park in Oslo that had stone scultures by a an artist that are well worth seeing. Sorry can't remember name but everyone will know it. Try to sneak along behind one of the guided tours to get an explanation.
    you won't go short of speccy scenery wherever you go. Alesund and Bergen were great too.
    we took a train around everywhere and there was snow during summer and it was serious snow. Be warned if you're driving at altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    I remember a park in Oslo that had stone scultures by a an artist that are well worth seeing. Sorry can't remember name but everyone will know it. Try to sneak along behind one of the guided tours to get an explanation.
    you won't go short of speccy scenery wherever you go.
    http://www.vigeland.museum.no/en

/Anders

Thanks all for these great suggestions. Rudderless, your idea of the coastal steamer from Trondheim is food for thought. We already have a rental car booked there, but it is changeable. I was pleasantly surprised that the one-way rental was not too steep. Ill look into perhaps taking the steamer to Bergen and then getting the car there. In any case, we will certainly spend some time on a cruise/tour of at least one of the fjords. Yes, Geirangerfjord is high on our list. We also hope to get in at least a couple of hikes on trails to the top of fjords. We've found a pretty reasonable and funky sounding hotel on an active ship in Stockholm, the Birger Jarl. I'm hoping it is not to hostley (is that a word?). Base jumping sounds like fun - to watch. Thanks again for the ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore Lou View Post
    We've found a pretty reasonable and funky sounding hotel on an active ship in Stockholm, the Birger Jarl. I'm hoping it is not to hostley (is that a word?).
    I got a good internet deal nearby on Lady Hutton's superyacht, once the largest in the world, I guess now named Mälardrottningen. It's equally close to the historic core but is on a tiny fairytale island that few folks visit even tho it has short bridges to everywhere. Small but maritimey rooms, tired interior... just my econostyle. Looks refurbished and maybe more expensive here:

Near the Vasa ship museum are many other museums on sort of an island with delightful strolls connecting them. To escape the bland Scandinavian food, drop into the nearby Ethnography museum. Even if you don't pay entrance you can go to their wonderful spice inferno eatery. Nice to take a ferry to nearby islands or just a tourist loop.

P.S. maybe different now, but in the deepest, steepest part of Gier. fjord, our steamer could not telecommunicate anywhere so they would not accept credit cards for food or possibly boarding tix for a brief period. Cash may not be obsolete yet. Norge snacks of interest: lefse and yulekake (not just for xmas).
    Last edited by rudderless; 04-10-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Near Bergen in Nordheimsund is a fantastic living museum : http://www.fartoyvern.no/en/news-and-events
    and I would see the Oselvarverkstaden in Os too: http://www.oselvarverkstaden.no/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSkUmA2xo-s

Right next to the Vasa museum you also have some other nice things to see at Galärvarvet, steam powered icebreaker St Erik, a lighthouse ship and a hall filled with small boats etc.
    https://www.sjohistoriska.se/en/visit/galarvarvet

/Anders

Add the "Atlanterhavsveien" to your itinerary, just north of Molde they have built a highway and bridge system connecting several island and islets. Spectacular experience of driving on not next to, the Atlantic Ocean.
    Since you are starting in Trondheim, you could add Foster Videragaaende school, where Jan Godal started the students building Åjords Båter. And Therese is a new Viking replica being built in Nordfjord, so you can drive through Bjørkedalen where I apprenticed, and see this remarkable valley where boatbuilding and sawmills have supplied the coastal area since Viking times.
    The Bergen Sjøfartsmuseet has a wonderful collection of small craft, and someone already mentioned Norheimsand with a working shipyard.
    The Hurteruten(Coastal Steamer) is a spectacular trip, but reservations usually need to be made a year out. And in Bygdøy has the Viking ships and Akon Tiki, and Amundsen's ships.
    Very jealous of your trip I am!

When in Stockholm, rent kayaks and paddle through the city.
    There's loads and loads of picturesque places to be found,
    I's fun to go through the locks from Mälaren out into the Saltsjön

Don't know if you can cope with the Swedish but here's a few routes.

http://kajakkompaniet.se/turer/rekommenderade-turer/

Or take one of the old steam ships out into the archipelago, they run as a normal ferry run.
    http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/

Last edited by Ryden; 04-11-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Probably the greatest thread in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Probably the greatest post in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    -~: Roughshod Riding Rabble Rousing Rebel :~-
    Peer of The Most Ancient and Noble Order of the Lauging Polar Bear

You folks are awesome! I've gotten some wonderful ideas here. Now to try to make a smooth itinerary out of it all. Paul, Atlanterhavsveien is definitely to be added to the list. Rudderless, thanks for your suggestions. I just tried to book a room on Mälardrottningen, but alas, it is "not available." Not sure if that means sold out for our dates or not always open for guests. Probably the former. We'll stick with Birger Jarl for now.

Anders, just looked at Galärvarvet website, and it looks terrific! Thanks again for all the suggestions. Our trip is quickly feeling way too short.

In Trondheim I usually stay in the Scandic Nidelven hotel, they have the best breakfast in town and are close to both the City and train station. During weekends half of Trondheim is eating breakfast there, so then I would recomment the Radisson Blue Royal Garden, 100 metres away. From the airport you can take the Airport bus, it stops at both hotels. Or a Taxi, I think they take something like. NOK 500 into the City. If staying in the Royal garden, you'll see the cutest hobbit boat ever, its moored in front of the breakfast room. If you arrive during daytime and take a taxi, ask to be driven by DORA, the German U-boat bunker. Its only a short detour.

While the wife is shopping, check out the Canal harbor across the train station. The Kystlaget (coastal heritage organization) has their wooden boats there (haven't actually checked after the canal was dredged last year). If someones is working on the boats, ask to have a look into their Booths, they have a range of nice old diesel and semi diesel boat engines stored there.

To get to Trondheim I strongly advise to take the Kystekspressen to Kristiansund and rent a car from there (or take the Hurtigruten further south as others have advised). Kystekspressen leaves from the outer harbor basin and is some 500-700 m from the hotels. The drive to Kristiansund is a drag, the kystekspressen ihttp://www.fosennamsos.no/ route Trondheim - Brekstad - Kristiansund just as fast and much more scenic, not only because you'll pass Europe's largest Methanol plant...

In Kristiansund you need to try Bacalao, A traditional dish made from dried and salted cod. Its better than it sounds. Check out the old Mellemverftet http://landsstevne.mellemverftet.no/ located close to the city centre in Kranaveien.

Driving south along the atlantahavsveien you pass Håholmen ,http://www.classicnorway.no/hotell/haholmen-havstuer/ an old cod landing and processing place (old like before factory works). It is a conference centre and hotel now. The Hguy who fiksed it up had a Viking ship built and sailed it to godknowswhere. Worth a stay.

At the end of the Atlanterhavsveien, in Bud, there is a WW2 coastal fort. It's never been open when I was there, so I have only had a look around there. I do not find it too impressive.

Have a nice stay in Norway and remember that the days are looong in June, you might want to steal the eye shutters from the plane. at least I have problems sleeping here during summer.

Best regards,

Uwe

Uwe,
    Thank you very much for these thoughtful suggestions. All have been added to the list. We already have an AirBnB reservation in Trondheim, but I'll check out the Scandic Nidelven hotel for breakfast. Sounds awesome! Also Bacalao in Kristiansund!! I also appreciate the advice about eye shades for sleeping. Will do.
    Lou

I was on a US Navy Destroyer many years ago and we spent a weeks port call
    in Bergen . . . it was probably the best port-of-call during my whole 21 year career.
    Being docked on the water, I saw so many beautiful boats. Just an awesome place.
    Two Thumbs Up !! (and I met the most beautiful ladies there too !!).
    1959 Crestliner Commodore 14'
    1959 Lone Star Malibu 14'
    1958 Johnson 35 RDE-19 Sea Horse
    1958 Johnson 35 RDS-20 Super Sea Horse
    1960 Johnson 40 RDS-22 Super Sea Horse
    1962 Johnson 40 RDS-24 Super Sea Horse
    1966 Johnson 33 RXE-14D Sea Horse

I just tried to book a room on Mälardrottningen, but alas, it is "not available." Not sure if that means sold out for our dates or not always open for guests. Probably the former. We'll stick with Birger Jarl for now.
    If you're fine with a lower standard alternative, the Swedish Tourist Association runs the tall ship af Chapman as a hostel.

https://www.swedishtouristassociatio...-house/images/

Ryden,
    Thanks for the recommendation. We are booked on the M/S Birger Jarl. The price is just about the same as the Chapman. Do you think we'll find a significant difference between them? Thank you!
    Lou

John,
    Looking forward to Bergen for all the reasons you mention!
    Lou

Head west ASAP. Norway is about coastal culture. In my opinion you should visit Stad at least, similar to Fair Isle or Scottish scenery. Quick before the planned windmills dominate the landscape,then Nordfjord, maybe Dalsfjorden also, Hardanger Fartoyvernsenter on your way to Oslo. Bring a tent to offset a few hotel bills. Read up on "allemannsretten". All the best, Rune.

Ryden,
    Thanks for the recommendation. We are booked on the M/S Birger Jarl. The price is just about the same as the Chapman. Do you think we'll find a significant difference between them? Thank you!
    Lou
    I missed that, I think that you're better of on the Birger Jarl, when I stayed at the Chapman I felt like a midshipman.

Rune,
    Thanks for the recommendation of Stad. Looks wonderful. Definitely added to the itinerary.