Thread: Reccomendations for catboat trailer.

Default Reccomendations for catboat trailer.

16' Fenwick Williams catboat. Centerboard. Almost 8' beam. @ 1200#.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Reccomendations for catboat trailer.

From Maryland to Georgia?

Yes, and South Carolina later this year.
    And thanks!
    Last edited by Reynard38; 04-08-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Most any glavanized trailer rated to carry 2,000 pounds will serve as a good base. But you are going to want to add some bunks to give the boat good support. I don't think there's anything off the shelf that will be ideal, but you can bolt on an endless variety of extra supports. Maryland is chock full of places that sell trailers. If you'll be launching and retrieving often a drop axle unit would be worth considering. But you do want bunks, not rollers.
    -Dave

look into double wide jet ski trailers

used galvanized ones can be had for less than $1k in really good condition around here

@ 8'w she will have to ride over the wheels/fenders

as mentioned above there won't be any "off the rack" units made to fit

you will have to bunk the trailer yourself

G'LUCK

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I'm not a fan of the jet ski trailers, as they're designed with a very short "body" (the wide part of the trailer) and a short tongue. So you'd have to both lengthen the tongue (fairly easy to add an extension) but also add some sideways braces to hold the front part of the bunks -- much harder to do, and more prone to structural failure.

A used galvanized trailer will work fine, and you can replace the entire axle if the spindles are pitted or worn -- many places sell axle and leaf spring sets. Avoid anything rated for more than 2000 lbs, as it will bounce & shake the beejezes out of your lovely new boat. As above, if you do any beach or funky dirt ramp launching, a dropped axle can help make the process less difficult and damp.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

But... if you find the perfect trailer in size, galvanized (or aluminum, I guess) and adjustability, you can tweak the load capacity/ride by changing out or modifying the leaf springs. On multi-leaf springs, it's possible to remove a leaf to alter the performance. Like Thorne says, a too-high-capacity trailer will be very rough on the cargo.

Chip

Might have found one. Magic tilt, galvanized. Bunks, lot of adjustability. Needs new lights. Maybe tires. Asking $500.

One other note, check your state for regulations on trailers. Some require inspections and brakes for heavier ones. You don't want to get hung up when it comes time to register.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    One other note, check your state for regulations on trailers. Some require inspections and brakes for heavier ones. You don't want to get hung up when it comes time to register.
    Nothing like that required here. Only vehicle inspections here are for emmisions, and SC doesn't even require that. I do plan to add surge brakes even though the combined weight of boat and trailer will be under 2000#.

Found the trailer at a marine salvage yard north of Lake Lanier. Interesting place.

You saved so much on the trailer now you can afford this:
    http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/Kod...olt_p_476.html

Just an example. But all-stainless disk brakes would be my cup-o-tea, especially around saltwater.

Chip

Hope your used trailer works out, if you ever need new take a trip down to Milton FL and Eddie English Boat Trailer can build whatever you need, galvanized or aluminum. Eddie has built 2 custom trailers for us and we bought several other stock trailers for our Sunfish.

Galvanized, V frame, 13 inch tires, spare, winch, trailer jack, trailer guides, triple bunks, LED lights.

If you need extra parts, this is my go-to place for all things trailer: http://www.easternmarine.com/Boat-Trailer-Parts/
    I've been buying trailer stuff and tarps there for years, and have never been disappointed. I've gotten some stuff at half, yes half the price of Waste Marine for the exact same item. (No, I don't have any personal connection, etc.)
    -Dave

Incredible how difficult it is to buy a trailer for this boat. Place in Baltimore, Daves Trailers was completely useless. They kept asking for the model and year of the boat. I told them you won't have it on record, but gave it to them anyway. Of course no luck.
    Couldn't make them understand what a catboat is. They kept insisting it was a catermaran.
    The one near me was at a marine salvage yard run by toothless, methhead hillbillies. Supposedly the "trailer mechanic" had jury duty. I think he was actually waiting on the juries decision. Don't think it went his way.

Found a place in Norfolk where they actually sound like they know what they are doing. Guy has a trailer he thinks will work and he seems to understand wooden boats. I'll be passing through there on the way to St. Michaels.

I bet these guys will be able to fix you up: http://triadtrailers.com

Jeff

Mark,

Miss Sue wouldn't fit a standard trailer either. I bought a used double axle trailer in Norfolk and created my own cradle to fit Miss Sue. Then I adapted the cradle to the trailer. I didn't use any of the original trailer equipment except for the frame rails and the winch stand. The process is detailed in part 3 of the build thread for Miss Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Incredible how difficult it is to buy a trailer for this boat. Place in Baltimore, Daves Trailers was completely useless. They kept asking for the model and year of the boat. I told them you won't have it on record, but gave it to them anyway. Of course no luck.
    Couldn't make them understand what a catboat is. They kept insisting it was a catermaran.
    The one near me was at a marine salvage yard run by toothless, methhead hillbillies. Supposedly the "trailer mechanic" had jury duty. I think he was actually waiting on the juries decision. Don't think it went his way.

Found a place in Norfolk where they actually sound like they know what they are doing. Guy has a trailer he thinks will work and he seems to understand wooden boats. I'll be passing through there on the way to St. Michaels.
    I dont' bother, there is a trailer sales/ boat dealer in Salisbury, the guys there are VERY knowledgeable about trailers and motor boats... but tell them you want a trailer for a 21' sailing dory and they will show you a trailer with brakes that is rated to carry 4000 lbs! they can not understand a 21' boat that only weighs 500 lb!

you actually have it far easier with your cat boat, it is much closer to the lenght VS weight ratio of many motor boats today... an Alpha Dory on a trailer rated for 4000 would ride SOOOO rough not even compressing the leaf springs. ended up ordering a large canoe trailer for the Alpha.

Starting to think of having the boat flat bedded to me and worrYing about a trailer later.
    Boat trailer sales must be an incredibly lucrative business. Nobody seems to want to make a sale. They don't call back, don't return emails.
    Never knew how great the economy was!

Found one in Rock Hill SC. Private sale on Craigslist. Easy Loader, galvanized, led lights, looks like new. I'll have to raise the bunks and add a keel support. Also ordered the brake kit today.
    Scheduled to pick up Catnapper in early May.

Mark, I am just a couple of miles from Rock Hill. Anything I can do to help out ??

Rick

Mark, I am just a couple of miles from Rock Hill. Anything I can do to help out ??

Rick

Sorry -double post

One of the tricks that makes working with trailer and boats like catboats where the sterns rock up is removable stern bunks. Forward and amidships ones are permanent but the after ones come off to make launching and recovery easy. You might check with the Catboat Association for modification hints.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post

Rick
    g

Hey thanks, I think we got it covered. I'll be doing some mods at home to acommadate Catnapper once I get the trailer home. I'm going to pick my daughter up in Athens for the ride up to Rock Hill. Give us a chance to catch up.
    I'm just happy to have finally found a trailer for her. My wife and I are excited to bring her home. Toughest part will be waiting to work on and sail her until we get to Beaufort. I've got a long Charleston layover tomorrow. Going to drive down to Beaufort to meet with the Architect and a potential builder. Hopefully the ground breaking will be soon!

Well the trailer has brakes now. Installed a disc brake kit. SS calipers. Also added 3 keel rollers. She'll be well supported for the trip home.