Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8" Low-speed Benchtop Grinder reccomendations

Default Re: 8" Low-speed Benchtop Grinder reccomendations

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    My daughter's violin repair class
    Red Wing? It's overpriced so it can go into the schools bookshop slushfund the administration will piss away. Most of the tools the bookshop sold came from beaumont's tools (closed this fall). If she needs to replace her knives, or other things, most can be ordered direct from the supplier (eg Hock will sell the knives direct to her - the really small 1/8" bridge knives have a catalog number of VK003).

FYI - my 8" Rikon low speed is chugging along, no Baldor, but quite pleased. added a lee valley tool rest and a shop extendable sharpening rest to fit under it for sharpening turning gouges.

edit edit: that HF speed reducer is kinda crappy.
    Last edited by Hugh Conway; 11-06-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Like PVG (post #7) I have a 10" Jet and like him I use it pretty much for shaping, not finishing, but it has worked well for 15 years of hobby work. Mine was old enough that it has the steel arbor so that's rusted pretty badly, but I had no problem truing the stone up and it's holding up well enough. I'm still at 9" diameter and it's due for another good dressing/trueing at this point. The only issues I've had to date are the plastic nyliners that Jet puts on the tool holders tend to pop out periodically and I'm a little apprehensive about what will happen when I finally need to replace the wheel. I don't use the strop at all...using instead a maple block with pigskin glued to it and honing compound. So....if you opt for a wet wheel, look at the arbor alloy and how the tool holder bushings are inserted And have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Red Wing? It's overpriced so...
    Sounds like you have some experience with them. There has been a change in staff recently that seems likely to change the experience considerably.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    The new issue of Woodenboat has an article on building a low speed grinder that is powered by a cordless drill. Looks interesting and it saves a lot of money.

Jay
    This ^^^
    It is damned clever, check it out.

After nearly going for a Tormek, I came a cross a recommendation for the Robert Sorby Pro Edge, which is currently top of my list for purchases at the moment. Like all these sharpening systems the jigs add up pretty quickly but the ability to change belts quickly and the availability of diamond belts puts it a the top of the list for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    I have found that Im putting off sharpening edge tool ( Im afraid to count them...) lately because the arthritis makes my fingers cramp up running the blades over the oilstones.
    I went out and spent 200 bucks on the Workshop 3000. Let me say right off the bat I am not a gadget guy and if youve read any of my posts you know Im a cranky old school hand tool proponent. BUT.....I gottta say this thing is worth every penny.
    Takes about ten minutes to set up and get to work. I grabbed six of the beater chisels off the peg board over the bench; my cabinet chisels are in boxes in drawers, and set to sharpening them. Two of them were in pretty sad shape, the others just needed a tune up.
    Thirty minutes later all six were hair shaving sharp.
    No oil, no water, no mess, just quick and simple and with enviable results.
    My tired old digits were more than pleased as well...
    After I run all the block plane irons through it and the hand plane irons that will fit I will decide whether to spring for the wide blade attachment.
    I can definitely see keeping this thing on the bench mid project while dovetailing drawer sides for just a quick lick.

My two cents worth...
    The wide blade tool rest is worth it even for plane blades that fit the original blade holder.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

That is basically a voltage regulator. It will work with universal motors, but not with induction motors. You need a Variable Frequency Drive for induction motors. Almost all stationary grinders have induction motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    I picked up one of these on a whim the other day. I usually don't buy anything at Horror Fright that has any moving parts, but for twenty bucks, I took a chance. When I first tried it, it did nothing until the knob was turned way towards "off" and the "slow, medium, fast" indication for the knob was out of whack. If you open up the case, there's a small slotted-shaft potentiometer on the circuit board that allows for adjustment, which it needed. I plugged in an incandescent lamp and just adjusted the pot to where the light filament went dark at "off" and got brighter all the way up to "fast" on the dial. It seems they don't come calibrated from the factory.

Anyway, my thought at the time was to see if this speed controller would control the speed of a small modeling lathe I have which otherwise requires several belt changes to control speed. It worked like a charm. That led to trying it on all sort of tools, including a buffer and bench grinder. Worked pretty well if you realize that you sacrifice torque along with speed. For twenty bucks, it's not a bad deal. I'll have to see how long the thing lasts.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...eed+controller

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    ... that HF speed reducer is kinda crappy.
    Most decidedly. Harbor Freight is the "House of Crappy Tools." You get what you pay for. Harbor Freight is sort of like an "all-you-can-eat buffet" restaurant. You can't hardly expect a "fine dining experience," but if you are hungry, just looking to fill your gut on the run, and you don't load your plate with the salad, bread, and potato items, you'll probably get your money's worth and won't leave hungry.

Harbor Freight products are a monument to the maxim, "Let the buyer beware!" That said, if you know what you are looking at and the price is worth taking the chance, there are a few bargains to be had. Keep your receipt and they'll take back anything. I once bought a Smith's "Little Torch," jewelers' torch set, including regulators and tips, for about thirty-five bucks out of the HF catalog. The same item generally retails for around $200 and up. I didn't want to spring for that much, but figured I'd gamble thirty-five bucks and see what I got because there wasn't any other similar small oxy-gas torch on the market at anything near that price. I could always take it back if it was crappy. It wasn't branded "Smith's Little Torch," but it sure looked exactly like one. I took a close look at the Smith's torch in a brick and mortar store and it was identical to the HF one, even down to the packaging, except for the "Smith's" branding. I've had no problems with it at all. It didn't last long in their catalog and my guess was that it was some overstock from Smith's that HF was offing.

HF often has great prices on clamps of various types. Some are poor quality and not worth the money at any price. Others are adequately serviceable, although probably not what you'd want for hard use in a production shop, but at four bucks each for an eight inch C-clamp, how far wrong can you go? (So long as you don't drop it on a cement floor!) If you are looking for a four pound sledge hammer to use once in a blue moon, why pay $25 or $35 bucks for an Estwing or a Wilton when you can get one at HF for nine bucks? Mind you, I'm not suggesting that anybody buy precision machine tools at HF, or pretty much any sort of stationary power tool, but they have a lot of stuff that you might only use once in a great while and will be entirely adequate for the use intended. The speed controller I mentioned is, I am sure, not much more than a solid state "dimmer switch, but by the time you buy the dimmer switch, a three-way rocker switch and a fuse, and a junction box to mount it all in, and attach a cord and plug, well... you're probably ahead of the game money-wise and that's not counting your time to put it together.

https://store.cyberweld.com/smlitoou...ampaign=@@ID@@

Last edited by Bob Cleek; 11-07-2018 at 05:55 PM.

HF pretty much "is what it is". I pick up tools I may end using on the boat or dock where they may hit the drink. If the job's done I'm OK. If they go for a swim...I'm still OK. Actually, most of my "good" tools have come from garage sales. None of my chisels match, but they're pretty good steel and hold an edge (except for the HF stuff that I use for scraping paint most of the time). When we're travelling I hunt around junk shops for my "souvenirs". I have a nice 7/16 Marples from the mid '50s that I found in an "antique" shop in Australia for $5.00.

My dad always said to buy either the cheapest tool or the best. If you use it a lot, the best will be cheapest, but anything in-between the 2 is the most expensive.

Obviously, a good buy on a quality tool is the best way to go (& you stole that torch Bob! ).
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    Sounds like you have some experience with them. There has been a change in staff recently that seems likely to change the experience considerably.
    the problem wasn't the program instructors, nor is it the current program instructors both of whom are quite nice people.

Bob - some of the precision machine tools HF sells are sold under many other brands. e.g. their small metal working lathes are sold under a bunch of other brands, by other people some at much higher prices, with little to no difference in quality between any of them. It's the more common tools like circular saws, or my personal experience, polishers that were downright garbage.
    Last edited by Hugh Conway; 11-07-2018 at 08:00 PM.

For metal working, to save time I purchased 4 4" angle grinders from HF. They were on sale for $9 or so. Just having them all there with a cutting wheel on one, grinding wheel on one, flap disc sander on one and the last one with a wire wheel saves a bunch of time. If I burn them up (I haven't in 4 years of fairly heavy use) I will toss them and buy more.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Over the years I've bought a lot of HF tools. IMHO they have gotten a lot better as time goes by. Their Predator engines seem to start and run as well as Hondas. I have a Plate Compactor, an electric Log Splitter a Multi Tool and a Tile saw from HF as well as lots of pry bars, wrenches soft hammers, OBDII readers. All of the power tools perform well. I think the open end/box end wrenches are at least the equal of Craftsman or Husky. Their Braun battery Led trouble light is one of the best I have used. Really well thought out and very bright. I have HF Earthquake impacts, but I probably would not buy their Battery powered drills or worm drive saw, though I'm sure they would work fine for some one who did not use them a lot.

I have a Delta 8" 1/2 hp bench grinder which is mounted on a Harbor Freight Pedestal. It is not a Low Speed but it works fine for most rough tool sharpening applications. I also have a Delta 23-710 Sharpening Center that I use for Jointer knives, Plane Blades, Wood Chisels and Planer Knives. It has a low speed wide white stone and a 10" vertical water stone. My new Dewalt Planer uses thow a way knives, but I used the sharpening center for my old Delta Thickness Planer for a lot of years. I still use it for jointer knives, chisels and knives for a hand power plane as well as hand planes. I usually use the 8" Delta for Lathe tools, since they need sharpening quite often.

Some folks in the thread commented about the quality/durability of Rikon tools. The only Rikon tool I own is the 14" Deluxe Band Saw. I absolutely love it. It has replaced my Delta 10 Contractor saw for many of my ripping other sawing operations. It is very solid, well thought out, and easy to change blades on. I just about never used my "No Name 14" band saw" because it was hard to adjust, and a pain to change blades on. The Rikon with the new spring loaded roller guides is amazing.
    Last edited by Ski-Patroller; 11-08-2018 at 10:20 PM.

400F (200C) will start to temper (soften) steel...

That happens really quickly on a delicate edge like a plane iron or chisel.