Page 1 of 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump launches military strike against Syria

Default Trump launches military strike against Syria

Title: Trump launches military strike against Syria
    The United States launched a military strike on Syrian government targets in retaliation for their chemical weapon attack on civilians earlier in the week, CNN is told.
    On President Donald Trump's orders, US warships launched 50 Tomahawk cruise missiles.
    The strikes are the first direct military action the US has taken against the leadership of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in the country's six-year civil war and represent a substantial escalation of the US' military campaign in the region, which could be interpreted by the Syrian government as an act of war. The US began launching airstrikes in Syria in September 2014 under President Barack Obama as part of its coalition campaign against ISIS, but has only targeted the terrorist group and not Syrian government forces.
    Link: http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/politi...ary/index.html

Default Re: Trump launches military strike against Syria

Directed at military and air bases.

Not at Assad personally?

Bound to hit a Russian or 3……………….

I'm looking out across the bay likely feeling like my parents in 1939. Or my grandparents in 1914.

Above flood level, Northern NSW, Australia

Hold on tight! The World is about to get much, much hotter!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Is it a distraction from his Russian links, or is he severing them and keeping the cash that was funnelled through Deutscher bank?

Or is Putin on board with this and now throwing Assad under a bus so they can keep their Syrian bases?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

So far the reports are that the attack was directed at one airbase, the Shayrat airbase.
    The reports are saying this was the airbase that Syria used for the chemical attack.

Title: US launches missiles into Syria in response to chemical weapons attack
    At least 50 U.S. Tomahawk missiles targeted an airbase at Shayrat, located outside Homs. It is believed that the base was used as the staging point for Tuesday's chemical weapons attack on rebel-held territory, which killed as many as 72 civilians, including women and children.
    Link: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04...ns-attack.html

And going to war without congress approval? Despite warning against it during the election?

So Assad declares war against the US, Russia and Iran being their allies…………….

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    And going to war without congress approval? Despite warning against it during the election?
    THat seems to be the current fashion.
    Life is complex.

STREWTH!

This bloke is going to be the death of many many people, all the while hiding safely under a rock with his lowlife buddies.
    Bald, ugly, not too bright but incredibly sexy in an unattractive sort of way....

No press conference, just a few journo's who happen to be at his Florida resort.
    He doesn't care, he won.
    And the GOP? Trailing uninformed on his coat tails.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post

So Assad declares war against the US, Russia and Iran being their allies…………….
    The US already has troops on the ground in Syria.
    But this is a major increase in the US participation in the Syrian war.

50 or 60 cruise missiles hitting one airbase would wipe it out and kill anyone there.
    If there are Russians at the airbase they would most likely be dead.

The news said 60 missiles in 60 seconds. It must have been hell on Earth there.

They are now saying 59 missiles at the base that launched the chemical attacks.

I think it's time to wish the world luck, we may need it.

Will

Coincidentally the Chinese leader is at Trump's villa while this is going on.
    Think maybe Trump is sending a roundabout message to him? Do something w/ Fat Kim!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin2 View Post
    Coincidentally the Chinese leader is at Trump's villa while this is going on.
    Think maybe Trump is sending a roundabout message to him? Do something w/ Fat Kim!
    You're kidding right?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Did anyone else notice how strangely he spoke? I'm not talking the words (which were his usual very limited #) - but his pace & inflection. Almost sounded like someone just waking up or recovering from tranquilizers or some such. Very odd.

ETA: No! I am not accusing him of anything at all - just saying that he did not sound right.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Different from his usual intonation for sure. Apparently he did a ring around of allies prior to launching the attack to make sure they're all okay with it, including our own Malcolm Trunbull!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Oil stocks anyone?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

59 Cruise Missiles fired at a single base seems like overkill.

Good! Leaders who kill their own countries children with chemical weapons have to be stopped. President Trump did what needed to be done.

Anyone find any commentary on the expected outcome of these 50 cruise missiles?

https://www.theatlantic.com/news/arc...strike/522237/

The move represents a remarkable turnaround for Trump, who had been unequivocal about who he thought the enemy was in Syria—ISIS—and said during the presidential campaign he believed fighting Assad and ISIS at the same time was both “madness and idiocy.” And yet the U.S. finds itself doing just that: The U.S. military has struck ISIS in Syria since 2014, and its troops are at present working with local fighters to retake Raqqa, ISIS’s de-facto capital. As recently as this week, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Nikki Haley, the U.S. ambassador to the UN, said removing Assad was not a U.S. priority. But after Tuesday’s attack, Trump said the images from Khan Sheikhoun, the target of the chemical-weapons attack, “changed his mind” about Syria.
    Trump won’t be the first president to campaign against war and yet wage it, as David noted: Both Woodrow Wilson, who took the U.S. into World War I exactly a century ago this week, and George W. Bush, whose interventions in Afghanistan and Iraq are being felt even today, did just that. Whether the U.S. action in Syria will be confined to Friday’s action was unclear—even to the president. Speaking Thursday to reporters aboard Air Force One, Trump said of Assad: “He’s there, and I guess he’s running things, so I guess something should happen.”

What American interests were served by this action? Trump said some blather about stopping the spread of chemical weapons but this action won't accomplish that. He's just put us in the position of being the world cop again...something that he criticized previous administrations for.

So so much for his America First policy. I wonder how Trump supporters feel about that?
    "The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.
    -Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism

Has Russia made any comment yet?
    Bald, ugly, not too bright but incredibly sexy in an unattractive sort of way....

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Did anyone else notice how strangely he spoke? I'm not talking the words (which were his usual very limited #) - but his pace & inflection. Almost sounded like someone just waking up or recovering from tranquilizers or some such. Very odd.

ETA: No! I am not accusing him of anything at all - just saying that he did not sound right.
    I think that's just a reflection of Trump trying to follow the teleprompter.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Interesting analysis:

Trump could mitigate some of those risks by assuring the Russians that the strikes are designed solely to punish Assad for using chemical weapons and not to tip the balance in the broader civil war.It is also possible that the strikes could give the United States added leverage to broker a compromise with the Russians that would end the civil war, some analysts said.

"The political message a strike would send is that you are using an approach that is completely different than the previous administration," said Andrew Tabler, a Syria expert at the Washington Institute.

Such a move would probably induce anxiety inside the Syrian regime that the United States could use to its advantage.

"Creating uncertainty and being unpredictable might get you a lot more than what the Obama administration was willing to do, which was nothing," Tabler said.

Even as they acknowledged the big risks of a strike and their concerns about Trump's erratic nature, some Obama administration officials urged action.
    "If you don't act, you are effectively telling Assad and the regime's backers that you can use as much sarin as you want," said Gordon, who served as a senior director for the Middle East in the Obama White House.

"Assad tested Obama. Now there is an early test for Trump."
    Could be that Trump actually followed some expert advice?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post

When presidents make announcements like this to the nation, they usually look straight into the camera as if they're talking to you directly. It can still be a teleprompter, but it's mounted by the camera so the president is facing the camera, not away. He did his normal amateur-at-the-teleprompter thing, just looking at the side teleprompters and never directly addressing you and I. As for not sounding right, the audio was messed up. If he were at the White House where he belongs instead of his summer palace, he'd be able to use their state-of-the-art equipment instead of something they just picked up from Radio Shack.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...b05b487c0e0074

Pentagon: Russia notified before strike

Spencer Ackerman Spencer Ackerman
    The Pentagon has confirmed it used a hotline for minimising the risk of aerial combat between US and Russian jets in eastern Syria to alert Russia of the strike against its Syrian client.

The Russians are sure to have routed that warning to Assad, raising immediate questions about what the strike will have accomplished, and also signalling that the US does not seek escalation.

Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis said:

Russian forces were notified in advance of the strike using the established deconfliction line. US military planners took precautions to minimise risk to Russian or Syrian personnel located at the airfield.

We are assessing the results of the strike. Initial indications are that this strike has severely damaged or destroyed Syrian aircraft and support infrastructure and equipment at Shayrat airfield, reducing the Syrian government’s ability to deliver chemical weapons.

The use of chemical weapons against innocent people will not be tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...b05b487c0e0074

Pentagon: Russia notified before strike

Spencer Ackerman Spencer Ackerman
    The Pentagon has confirmed it used a hotline for minimising the risk of aerial combat between US and Russian jets in eastern Syria to alert Russia of the strike against its Syrian client.

The Russians are sure to have routed that warning to Assad, raising immediate questions about what the strike will have accomplished, and also signalling that the US does not seek escalation.

Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis said:

Russian forces were notified in advance of the strike using the established deconfliction line. US military planners took precautions to minimise risk to Russian or Syrian personnel located at the airfield.

We are assessing the results of the strike. Initial indications are that this strike has severely damaged or destroyed Syrian aircraft and support infrastructure and equipment at Shayrat airfield, reducing the Syrian government’s ability to deliver chemical weapons.

The use of chemical weapons against innocent people will not be tolerated.
    Good.
    I was worried about Russian soldiers we be killed in the attack.
    Do you know how much time before the attack?

I bet Trump's approval rating increases as a result of this action.

Y'know, I've generally thought that Mr. Trump has done an appalling job as president, but in this case, one can at least make a plausible case that it wasn't a bad decision. Assad and his government are utterly loathsome, about as bad as governments get, and using chemical weapons against civilians violates all sorts of international laws. Obliterating the base from which the attack was launched after letting the Russians know is not the worst thing we could have done. He just might have listened to people who know more than he does. OTOH, full-scale intervention in Syria to depose Assad would be spectacularly stupid.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 04-06-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    When presidents make announcements like this to the nation, they usually look straight into the camera as if they're talking to you directly. It can still be a teleprompter, but it's mounted by the camera so the president is facing the camera, not away. He did his normal amateur-at-the-teleprompter thing, just looking at the side teleprompters and never directly addressing you and I. As for not sounding right, the audio was messed up. If he were at the White House where he belongs instead of his summer palace, he'd be able to use their state-of-the-art equipment instead of something they just picked up from Radio Shack.
    I missed it, but this makes sense to me. Thanks for the observation Rich.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Y'know, I've generally thought that Mr. Trump has done an appalling job as president, but in this case, one can at least make a plausible case that it wasn't a bad decision. Assad and his government are utterly loathsome, about as bad as governments get, and using chemical weapons against civilians violates all sorts of international laws. Obliterating the base from which the attack was launched after letting the Russians know is not the worst thing we could have done. He just might have listened to people who know more than he does.
    I am still a little worried about how the Russians will react.

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    Good.
    I was worried about Russian soldiers we be killed in the attack.
    Do you know how much time before the attack?
    Nope. I would still like to know how this attack affects anything. Will 1000's more civilians killed by artllery and bombs be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Nope. I would still like to know how this attack affects anything. Will 1000's more civilians killed by artllery and bombs be ok?
    You misunderstood my post.
    I was saying it was good that the Russians we warned of the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Y'know, I've generally thought that Mr. Trump has done an appalling job as president.........
    I know.

My first reaction has been horror. I have so little faith in Trump and the team he installed that I feel justified. Things move so oddly in his administration, Bannon in, Bannon out? No State Department to speak of? So, I worry.

On the pus side Assad is a douche and siran begs a response I'll go to sleep tonight feeling like there are a lot of cards in the air along with the missiles. I don't trust this administration at a number of levels. I'll remain a skeptic and hope I'm wrong.