Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival 2017

Default Re: Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival 2017

Thanks for the spin in Bingo, Bruce.
    Had a nice chat with Ian (Kotik) and Steve in Steve's Eun na Mara.
    Hope to bring Zuri there next time and to spend more than just 1 day.
    Wojo - sorry I missed you.

Travis.

Thanks for the spin in Bingo, Bruce.
    Had a nice chat with Ian (Kotik) and Steve in Steve's Eun na Mara.
    Hope to bring Zuri there next time and to spend more than just 1 day.
    Wojo - sorry I missed you.

Travis.

Awww....didn't know you were attending.
    we need to make some plans for next year appearances
    .................what this year WBF left me with is : need some varnish on my boats !!
    Last edited by 2dogsnight; 09-11-2017 at 05:40 AM.

Had a great time at the show; the sun finally made an appearance Sunday. Beautiful boats everywhere.

Bruce - thanks for the ride in Bingo, what a blast. Loved the beach drive-by you did Sunday afternoon - you were a big hit with the folks at the bar!

Wojo - thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself, I really enjoyed chatting with you. Looking forward to seeing your boat in the water!

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by peter1708 View Post
    Had a great time at the show; the sun finally made an appearance Sunday. Beautiful boats everywhere.

Bruce - thanks for the ride in Bingo, what a blast. Loved the beach drive-by you did Sunday afternoon - you were a big hit with the folks at the bar!

Wojo - thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself, I really enjoyed chatting with you. Looking forward to seeing your boat in the water!

Pete
    Pete,
    Very nice to meet you!

https://youtu.be/DeSjB0MuNrM

.....how do you post you tube video?....not just the link to it
    Last edited by 2dogsnight; 09-11-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Random photos ...

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post

This little boat is worth examining more closely. It is Kees Prins' Dunlin, a different solution to the sail and oar design brief than those of us who have opted for larger, longer, heavier boats with lug yawl rigs. Carbon fibre spars with sails that roll up, but probably have enough reduced windage that the inability to strike the rig for rowing is not a big handicap. Light enough that it can be rowed at 3 - 3 1/2 knts all day. Twin canted pivoting bilgeboards to open up the cockpit for sleeping space. It likely won't carry as many provisions for a long voyage, but would be OK for 2-3 weeks, at least. I was quite taken with it.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    This little boat is worth examining more closely. It is Kees Prins' Dunlin, a different solution to the sail and oar design brief than those of us who have opted for larger, longer, heavier boats with lug yawl rigs. Carbon fibre spars with sails that roll up, but probably have enough reduced windage that the inability to strike the rig for rowing is not a big handicap. Light enough that it can be rowed at 3 - 3 1/2 knts all day. Twin canted pivoting bilgeboards to open up the cockpit for sleeping space. It likely won't carry as many provisions for a long voyage, but would be OK for 2-3 weeks, at least. I was quite taken with it.
    I don't think he sold it yet... jus' sayin' <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

It was, as usual, a great show. The only disappointing bit was how few of the WBF folks showed up for the EBS. We had a great time, anyway, but I always enjoy seeing the forum folks, and especially meeting some of the one's I don't yet know.

One of the few presentations I attended this year was Howard Rices. Definitely worth it. If you haven't followed his journey, check it out - they've moved on to the next phase, and look to do some good in the world as part of it.

SO MANY wonderful boats.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Was bobbys there this year?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Rosemary, Dave Lesser, Zimm

Wiz - it was a particular pleasure to see you and J. Great to meet your buddies, too! I'm just sorry I didn't track you down for a ride. Seems like I never get around to everything...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Great photos all.

Sorry to have missed the WBF EBS at the Wee Nip, but we went to see Matt Rutherford's presentation. Didn't realize that it's available for streaming from several sources. http://reddotontheocean.com
    It would have been very easy to have given up on him as a teenager. He's lucky to be alive.

I found the set up day (Thursday) fascinating. After situating my boat near the cafe, we just sat back for the next 5 hours watching the boats come into the basin. It was amazing how quickly the basin filled up as well as how well the soft sided "tugs" worked together to maneuver the bigger boats. we had a great vantage point from which to view the action. Here are just a few photos. Pete

Yes, the harbormaster, and all the volunteer wranglers, really do an impressive job.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I'm not one to talk regarding posting easily viewed photos here, but clicking on links repeatedly to see them gets old fast. I suspect that Facebook's Woodenboat Forum page is getting to be more and more popular relative to this site, [12,000 members signed up there since January 3 (this year?) with 4 admins], if only because drop and dragging photos and creating albums there is simple as pie.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Emily Ruth and I had to cancel at the last minute. So sorry to have missed out this year. We'll be back.

Thanks so much to all for posting photos.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I'm not one to talk regarding posting easily viewed photos here, but clicking on links repeatedly to see them gets old fast. I suspect that Facebook's Woodenboat Forum page is getting to be more and more popular relative to this site, [12,000 members signed up there since January 3 (this year?) with 4 admins], if only because drop and dragging photos and creating albums there is simple as pie.
    ?
    All of the pictures in this thread simply appeared on the page for me, no links to click...using Firefox on a Mac
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Reminds me of one of my favorite Wooden Boat Festival entries, back in 2007:

Gotta keep fighting to keep the varnish from taking over!

For some reason I couldn't upload my WBF photos to Flickr, so I stuck 'em on Facebook instead. Here's a link to the album.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5000628&type=3

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    It was, as usual, a great show. The only disappointing bit was how few of the WBF folks showed up for the EBS. We had a great time, anyway, but I always enjoy seeing the forum folks, and especially meeting some of the one's I don't yet know.

One of the few presentations I attended this year was Howard Rices. Definitely worth it. If you haven't followed his journey, check it out - they've moved on to the next phase, and look to do some good in the world as part of it.

SO MANY wonderful boats.
    I am sad to have not made it this year, but there are a lot of things on my plate at the moment, 2 months in Punta Arenas as a support for Howards expedition started the year with a bang, then the idea for the "next phase" and I'm involved in that, plus had to do something about a long term health issue ( done now, successful) and am working on the Voyage of Southern Cross project with Howard and the rest of our team.

Check it out here, its quite something. https://www.voysc.com/

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post

Its been around a few years. But, much like here, there's only a handful of regular contributors. Probably only a few hundred active people in all. It's just a simpler interface, but it also doesn't easily allow for longer conversations.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

I got to bring the Admiral and The Shop Assistant to the festival this year. The Assistant's presence required an abbreviated visit, but it was productive. He got to geek out over boats with me, which was a lot of fun for this Dad. Then we went sailing on Ariel of Victoria for the Schooner Race. Ariel is the Big Blue Ketch. Thanks to everyone who said hi to Bentley.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    ?
    All of the pictures in this thread simply appeared on the page for me, no links to click...using Firefox on a Mac
    I use FF and Mac also. No such luck here.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

I use google chrome (behind a company firewall! ), and all the pictures on this page showed up beautifully with no additional clicks needed.

I need a brief refresher on posting photos here. They are currently on facebook. I tried copying the image location and using the 'insert image' button, but no luck.
    Thx,
    -Paul
    s/v PickPocket

Posted this over on the Facebook forum. It's not actually from the Festival but it was the sight that greeted me next day at the Port Angeles ferry terminal at dawn as I waited to travel back to Victoria.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGrun View Post
    I need a brief refresher on posting photos here. They are currently on facebook. I tried copying the image location and using the 'insert image' button, but no luck.
    Thx,
    -Paul
    s/v PickPocket
    For a windows PC:
    Click on the target photo in your timeline on Facebook to bring it up
    Right click on the photo
    Hit "copy image address"
    Come over to the Reply window on this forum
    Click on the "Insert Image" icon
    Click the From URL tab
    Un-click the "Retrieve file and reference locally" box
    Hit paste in the URL box (right-click and paste, or Ctrl-V) and your copied address should appear
    Hit OK

For a Mac, someone else will have to chime in
    Alex