Thread: Dad messed up...again- HELP!!!

Default Dad messed up...again- HELP!!!

Last weekend I was at my daughter's & son-in-law's new house (they haven't yet moved in) to install a cabinet and clean up the swimming pool. During the drive there, a bottle of Meuratic (sp?) acid for the pool dribbled some onto a container of drill bits. By the time I got there, the drill bits had started to corrode (rust?). So I took the container to the NEW stainless kitchen sink to rinse them off. In doing so, some of the splatter got on to the sides of the sink. I did not notice this, so went on with with my tasks. Now the sink has some light brown spots- either rust or acid corrosion??? How do I get this off? Soft Scrub did not work. PLEASE suggest some magic potion!!!!!

Default Re: Dad messed up...again- HELP!!!

Great article here:
    http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=30

It says you are screwed, to put it simply. Try a more aggressive abrasive. You may have to polish the whole sink, so the places you polished to take out the stains are not noticeable.

Buy a new set of drill bits and feign no knowledge of sink

Decent welding suppliers will have rust remover / passivator for ss. Not pickling paste.

I've used Naval Jelly (active ingredient phosphoric acid) in conjunction with Scotch Brite to remove rusty looking stains in a stainless steel swimming pool.

If the brown stain is rust try Barkeeper's Friend. It took deep rust stains from an enamel tub like they were watercolor.

Andrew - I just ruined the chrome drain in my new sink with muriatic acid.......
    even diluted with water - it still ate the chrome right off.
    oh well - back to Home Depot.

Note: don't use strong acids in the kitchen sink.
    Last edited by John-1948; 04-07-2017 at 11:29 AM.

It's probably too late now. Nevertheless, my solution is to cover the stain with a $100 bill.

Jeff

If chemical solutions fail, I would next try a Dremel tool with a brass wire brush attachment. See if there's a 'grain' in the direction of polish on the sink, and try to stick with that. Once rust spot is dealt with, us a scotchbrite pad on a 1/4 sheet oscillating sander to feather out the repaired area, or just polish the whole side of the sink. But fess up, and give them a coupon if they're not liking the repair -- or even the fact that there was a repair.

Chip

It depends on how long the muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) was on the stainless and how deeply it was pitted. Same thing.

First thing I would try is the Barkeepers Friend, (post #6) which should be available at most hardware and grocery stores. It is oxalic acid and an abrasive. Very effective on some stains and light rust. Kind of like vinegar on steroids.

Next, the Naval Jelly, Opspho, Alumiprep 33 or whatever other phosphoric acid solution is available from the hardware store or paint store. Auto paint stores have it. Use it with a paper towel, then try steel wool if the paper towel doesn't work. (post #5)

Next would be Posts #2 and #9. Grind it out. Start with 80 grit and work up until it looks good.

You could also open the window, turn on the fan, put on some rubber gloves and try the muriatic acid with steel wool. Rinse well, follow with Barkeepers friend and go back to the polishing suggestion to hide the marks.

If it is too deeply pitted to grind out or clean up you are stuck with Post #8, possibly two or three of them.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

I reckon the kids owe you at least a set of drill bits. The sink is their problem.