Thread: Keep Turning Left sailing Videos- Dylan Winter needs our help.

Default Keep Turning Left sailing Videos- Dylan Winter needs our help.

I posted this in the bilge but I think it is better suited for this forum.

This is a plea to help out Dylan Winter who have spent the past few years creating some of the best sailing/history/travel videos on the internet.
    The videos are free to watch and all he asks is for a donation.
    Unfortunately most people watch his videos but do not make a donation.

Please if you have watched his videos please go to his website and make a donation.
    Also please let the word out that Dylan needs our help.

https://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/

Default Re: Keep Turning Left sailing Videos- Dylan Winter needs our help.

Thanks for the alert: I've looked at and enjoyed a bunch of Dylan's stuff without contributing anything. Hopefully I've now helped a little bit.
    bcmarinetrails.org - an attempt, by volunteers, to protect and enable 27,000 km of continuous camping and accesses along and around the whole Wild West Coast of British Columbia - for small beachable craft

I also have watched many of his videos, paid $10 one time years ago but then stopped.

I have decided to donate $10 each month for 10 months as payback for all his great work.

Here is a interesting way to present his videos.
    interactive google map, just click on the location and the video pops up.
    https://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/sa...ourney-so-far/

Video on how the map works
    https://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/ca...ourney-so-far/

I contributed just now. Dylan is an international treasure. His approach to life and the sea reflect the gentleman he is.

Apparently he had to sell his latest boat, that really nice Westerly Centaur. He's now sailing a dinghy until he can get a bigger boat to continue his wonderful journey and REALLY good videos. I to contributed a bit to help him out.
    Oldersalt

Quote Originally Posted by Oldersalt View Post
    Apparently he had to sell his latest boat, that really nice Westerly Centaur. He's now sailing a dinghy until he can get a bigger boat to continue his wonderful journey and REALLY good videos. I to contributed a bit to help him out.
    Oldersalt
    I just had a short email exchange with Dylan.
    He wanted to thank me for my support.
    He said he had to sell his Westerly Centaur 26 because he ran out of money.
    Very sad.

But he is hoping to get enough money together and get another boat soon.

While he waits he will put together about 10 more videos from the raw video he has already taken.
    It takes him a lot of personal time putting together the production quality videos from the raw material.
    All the historical references, music etc.

I wish I could donate more but $10 a months is still something.

thanks for this chaps....

I confess that this whole experience has been pretty bizarre.

I am a semi retired BBC reporter and cameraman. I started filming this series ten years ago between paid jobs so they have been going for a pretty long time. Around nine million hits on the youtube site - not a penny from yotube of course.

The web has changed a lot since then. At one time the youtube films were a way of driving sales to the DVds - which financed the series.

I could cover the sailing costs by selling a couple of thousand DVds a year which I sent out in padded envelopes. Then, two years ago, as the man from sony said, "DVD sales appear to have fallen off a cliff."

All for excellent reasons of course - we can stream high definition films straight to our TVs - the films look pretty good if you can get them on a big screen - far better than they ever did on soupy old DVDs. I don't buy the things any more. They have gone the way of the eight track.

More people than ever are watching the films - all via youtube - so I tried the buskers cup... which did not work well enough and ended up with me selling the 26 footer I was using for filming in scotland.

Then after I sold the boat and put the film up of her sale, blow me, if people did not start tapping small amounts into the buskers cup.

At first I could not make it out ... then I started getting emails like this one

This is what he said.
    “Over the years I have been downloading all your films and I watch them in the morning with my coffee because the news is so horrible. I was mortified when I discovered that you had sold your boat. I thought you would be there forever. I assumed that you did not need any money.
    I think that I had rationalised not tapping you anything because, in my head, you were some sort of eccentric English millionaire philanthropist genius amateur film maker who thought that sailing a crap boat to interesting places was cooler than sailing a good one. I realise this was a way of me justifying not giving any money to a friend I had been sailing with for many miles and over several years. When I heard you had sold the boat I realised that it was partly my fault so I sent the money for the eight DVD sets sitting on my hard drive.”

The amazing thing is that the "market" for sailing films has really grown - mostly those involving lovely girls sailing their bikinis around hot places. The current market leader La vagabonde is sailing a $750,000 cat making a reported $300,000 a year

they bung up 18 minutes a week - lovely people, lovely bikinis, lovely calisthenics on the beach and get around 250,000 hits per film. The la vagabonde girls has just invested in some new breasts, But I an ugly, jowly old school film maker and it takes me three weeks to make a wity, well shot, nicely editied, carefully scripted 45 minute film that gets around 12,000 views - I can only make eight of them a year.

Will the films continue? .. dunno is the answer

in the meantime I am messing with my little sailing tender on my local rivers

notice that she has no rudder and no centreplate - the rig is made from an optimist sail, a banister and some broom sticks - not proud of it ... but I am afloat and sailing

I have always said that it is better to be sailing the boat you have now rather than dreaming about the one you thing you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXBywiB1spw

the tender is not really suitable for exploring and filming in the the outer hebrides

I remain optimistic that I can re-boot the series with a smaller but tougher boat than the centaur.... but if not... well there will be plenty of bikini films from the carribbean for us all to enjoy in the rpivacy of our own laptop.

D

PS - this was the boat I sold when I ran out of budget....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MajB4mz5ziE
    Last edited by dylan winter; 04-06-2017 at 03:28 AM.

I thought you would have been creaming it in as PR man for the Duck Punt Corporation, Dylan. Thanks for your films, I wish you well. PS I often want to quote you on this forum, but hold my tongue. "Life is too short to do scarf joints in plywood".

Ah yes - I failed to disclose the interest I have in the Duck Punt Corporation of America and Europe. The revenue from that is not inconsiderable.

Dylan

Dylan, I have to admit that I feel very guilty for not donating more money before.
    Even if you do not make any more videos I am happy to give you $10 a month for 10 months as back pay for all your work.
    Besides I still have 2 years worth of videos I have not watched.

Graham

I have contributed in the past, but failed to keep up. The thought of no further video's is disturbing. On a fixed income it all counts, but for me this is very worth while, so done.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by dylan winter View Post
    The current market leader La vagabonde is sailing a $750,000 cat making a reported $300,000 a year

they bung up 18 minutes a week - lovely people, lovely bikinis, lovely calisthenics on the beach and get around 250,000 hits per film.
    I am completely out of touch with this media stuff. So are all these people watching hitting a PayPal button or something just to keep watching young chicks with plastic breasts in bi-kinis? Or is it all cross linked with advertisers bunging in a 5 minute advert half way through one of the films? And what does Utube get from your viewers, the possibility to throw in an advert? I just do not get where the revenue stream comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I am completely out of touch with this media stuff. So are all these people watching hitting a PayPal button or something just to keep watching young chicks with plastic breasts in bi-kinis? Or is it all cross linked with advertisers bunging in a 5 minute advert half way through one of the films? And what does Utube get from your viewers, the possibility to throw in an advert? I just do not get where the revenue stream comes from.
    Folks like Dylan are providing quality content for free to youtube until he hits video count thresholds which drives in royalties. Dylan agreed to post there in hopes for revenue. The simple fact that bikinis and boobs on boats stills of the video in search results mean 50k hits or a payday. Folks like Off Center Boats who also make good boat videos charge a subscription fee and only show trailers on Youtube like hosting sites but clearly aren't as personal or lovingly home crafted. As a professional videographer and producer, i see his work showing the essence of sailing, boating and living by the water. Boat/boating is expensive. Video equipment is not too bad. He may be hitting a snag due to his wanting as the solo sailor/videographer which has limits. Dylan needs to expand his base as well as make commercial interest videos that sponsors pay for. His obvious artistic talent and loving connection to this boating life is what continue to sells the dream to us. He would be far better served if he could find the balance which provided him with decent video income and yet kept him close to the common man who loves this large encompassing boating life. Frankly his videos are better than those done by the megayacht builders selling to the affluent market. I wished he would explore those avenues a bit more and yet continue with his KTL series. It might even be good for him to document the loss of his boat and sailing/boating with others as it is all part of the course of this sailing life.

This is a fine sample of his good work.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 04-08-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

The economics of making films is slipping and sliding all over the place.

At one time people payed for downloads, then it was DVDs through the post. Then those died.

Youtube pays between $1.50 and $2.50 per thousand hits via their adsense scheme. So if you get 250,000 hits on an 18 minute film without - and this is crucial - without any copyrighted music in it - then you might get $500.

That is not great money if you make a film a week with all the other overheads.

(KTL gets around 12,000 hits per film)

Most of the successful film makers use a thing called Patreon

this is the La vagabonde patreon page

https://www.patreon.com/LaVagabonde

they get around 1400 people signing up

so around 0.4 per cent of their regular youtube viewers have decided to hand their credit card details over to patreon and they get the card skimmed for an average of $5 every time La Vag put a film up

they are posting a film a week so that it $8,600 per week.

the patrons get a warm fuzzy feeling and access to "special" films

some of the bikini film makers offer films to patrons where the stars have left their bikinis below decks.

Here is the patreon page of the second most successful film maker SV delos - that is six people on a 50 footer

https://www.patreon.com/svdelos

Then when they are getting that number of hits there is also sponsorship. That is a double edged sword because if the youtubers see that you are getting sponsored then that lets them off the hook - patron numbers may go down. La Vag now does voiced adverts in their video blogs for an audio book publisher http://www.audible.com/mt/STSY?sourc...tOverride=true

It has been suggested that I try patreon - but if I were to get 0.4 per cent of the 12,000 chip in on each film at $5.... and I make 8 films a year .....well you can do the maths.

At one time when I was selling DVDs all I needed was a couple of thousand people a year to buy the double DVds and I was solvent.

Now to be solvent you need hundreds of thousands of hits.... and the best way to generate hits is with tits.... not an old bloke telling you about what it is like to sail a small boat in some interesting places.

I have really enjoyed watching the way that this market has emerged over the past eight years or so.

If/when KTL falls by the wayside it matters not a jot in the general scheme of things..... but as a film maker it is a bit of shame.

.. we have this wonderful technology... the ability to take high quality cameras to some amazing places and the success stories hinge around lovely looking girls in tiny bikinis standing on the foredecks of $500,000 yachts waving their delectable tushes in the general direction of their semi tumescent go pro wielding boyfriends while emoting at dolphins.

This could be a golden age of film making - instead it is tits that rule the waves.

D

I had finally got to the stage where I could afford to pop Dylan some £ for his videos but now my money is being directed towards a much needed haul out. If I can't give him some money I don't download.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Dylan,

Your ability is film making around boats.

The marinas are full of £250,000 boats paying £10,000/yr in marina fees alone.

These people may wish to obtain sailing footage of their boat. In a similar fashion to Beken who made a living taking pictures of peoples boats. It's really hard to get a good photo of your boat. You need someone else running alongside, or sat at a mark in the right position relative to the boats and light.

Is there a market for providing this market with well shot still or video footage of their boat? Perhaps the sailing schools for education, promotion or for a gift on course completion for added value? RNLI commissions etc? Is there a market providing sailing footage for brokerage boats? Is there a market for tourist boards taking good footage of sailing harbours etc? Start a Google Shoreline? Promotional material for new boats?

Can you find a market that puts more financial value on your 'content'?
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 04-12-2017 at 05:10 AM.

Needs help with what, exactly? Paying for video? A more serious personal problem? I guess I didn't get the memo.

The independent-video-over-the-internet realm is certainly interesting, and varied in the approaches taken by filmmakers. But the one thing the successful ones have in common is brevity. Probably not too many 45 minute films put out by the folks you've mentioned. That doesn't mean that good, serious content is bad. It just means that the audience who will subscribe and/or pony up doesn't necessarily watch longer videos. Either time constraints, attention span, or too many other interests mean that they're good for 5 to 8-10 minutes, but that's about it.

I haven't done this, but you might look at the 'moneymakers' out there and see what the average video length is, compared to their viewership.

The other benefit of dividing up the content into smaller chunks is that you can publish more often, to stay top-of-mind for the viewer. Kind of like the comparison between 'binge watching' a Netflix series, and having it doled out week-by-week.

The hidden potential is to re-edit your content into episodes that meet the viewing habits of the paying public. (Harsh and myopic, but that may be what it takes.) If you can get the critical mass of patrons (via Patreon or whatever), and enough YouTube subscribers to get the dollars flowing, then offering premium, longer-length versions (without the breaks -- more like the original productions) to subscribers can satiate the needs of people looking for a more detailed, more filling video meal. You can also explore outlets like Vimeo, which is a different 'scene' than YouTube.

So that's just one capitalist landlubber's opinion about your life's passion, so kick me to the curb if you think I'm off-base. And I freely admit that I have not screened any of your work. Yet. But based on the buzz here, I probably will, even though I don't sail. (But I was out on the Pacific last weekend.)

And, as you consider future plans, my main business is captioning and subtitling video productions. I would consider contributing some of those services to your cause as you regroup, and if it would be of benefit. Easy to do long-distance. Scripts would be good to start with, but not always essential. And of course, you'd get a chance to review before publication, as it's your creative work. I can handle pretty much any format/distribution system/file format that exists for text presentation. It's a good way to reach a larger audience, or folks who cannot listen at the moment, but can view the captions/subtitles. I don't do translations in-house, but have subtitled nearly every language out there based on supplied translations.

The same things that happened in video production happened in audio/music first. The quality creative tools became inexpensive enough to be accessible to the masses. This spurred everyone to express their creativity, which is a good thing. However, the created works were not always a 'good thing'. Sometimes they sucked. We're seeing the same thing in video. Quality content sometimes gets lost in the transitions, but it will always be quality content. It'll be still be noticed as markets adjust -- it just may not be at a pace that fits your needs.

If I were in your position, I'd start studying up on VR, to make immersive point-of-view videos of rare sailing experiences, like America's Cup racers, tall ship outings, etc. You have the resume (and maybe the connections) to pull that off, and having a non-porn offering for VR could even land you some manufacturer's sponsorships, from both video and sailing equipment manufacturers.

Again, just one guy's opinion...

Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Needs help with what, exactly? Paying for video? A more serious personal problem? I guess I didn't get the memo.
    Dylan is a normal guy who has made some great videos.
    All he is asking is to pay a small amount to help cover his costs in making these videos.

If you watch these videos please donate whatever you can.
    It is not too much to ask for these great videos

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    No, you are just not paying attention.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I'm a fan of the Delos series (to the extent that I watch and enjoy most of them) because they aren't as overtly pandering as La Vagabond. They do serious sailing and serious refits and the captain is highly intelligent and competent, and can fix almost anything, as well as being clearly an IT guy in demand enough to keep the money rolling in even while at sea, remotely. He and his crew are super-adept at anything electronic or media-oriented, fix all their own broken bilge-slime covered stuff, and manage to keep it real--even if their reality incorporates all those babes in bikinis or edited boob shots that no doubt keep the subscriptions rolling in. The captain (Brian) mortgaged a boat and sold-up and went to sea with his brother (Brady) and the passengers pay to be on the boat--it's a sustenance existence that keeps them in marina fees and drones and standing rigging. More power to them, even if it's not as relatable as Dylan's stories.

La Vagabond, on the other hand . . . They take marketing to a whole 'nother level.

I will kick in to Dylan next time I go the the KTL site--I gave away two subscriptions and had my own, but that's all expired and I need to make good on the use I make of his amazing and excellent and educational and warm and funny and all around awesome site

hey I make sailing videos too!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    hey I make sailing videos too!

Dan,

I thought that your film was excellent. I liked the way we came to know and love the characters and the interplay of their personalities. The story telling, the way the tension built through the piece showed a masterful command of timing and pace. The soundtrack - what can I say. It was understated yet powerful.

All round a triumph of the film makers art

well done that man

Dylan

Thanks for the explanation Dylan. That must take some time to get a following, given the amount of crap that gets posted over there everyday. Although i have made a few quid in the past writing for magazines, i think the competition in the video market is too strong, for those of us without a decent pair, but possibly a beer belly. Good content should always find a following, but there is also the point of doing just to share, or to make a few quid.....in which case the market decides, and we know how fickle that can be.
    I have a friend who may be taking part in an Atlantic race, it will be interesting to see how that gets "sold", being young, blonde and with an adequate cleavage, i assume she could do well finding sponsers if she wants them.

Thanks for the explanation Dylan. That must take some time to get a following, given the amount of crap that gets posted over there everyday. Although i have made a few quid in the past writing for magazines, i think the competition in the video market is too strong, for those of us without a decent pair, but possibly a beer belly. Good content should always find a following, but there is also the point of doing just to share, or to make a few quid.....in which case the market decides, and we know how fickle that can be.
    I have a friend who may be taking part in an Atlantic race, it will be interesting to see how that gets "sold", being young, blonde and with an adequate cleavage, i assume she could do well finding sponsers if she wants them.
    The market is filling up nicely with some serious totty that is for sure. It is a good thing I think that each week millions of people are watching beautiful people sailing beautiful boats in beautiful places.

My films are about a jowly witty old bloke sailing an affordable boat in cold places. While there are around 50 serious sailinbg video babe projects running there are not many people making films about intelligent sailing.

D

I love your videos Dylan, but haven't watched any for quite a while. I think a few posts here over the years have actually made me feel a bit guilty about being a freeloader. But I don't really think I need to feel guilty. I watch you tube videos about how to fix my cars, how to grow better tomatoes, what's wrong with my excavator, how to build a hookah, all sorts of stuff. It's all free, none of them ask for a donation. Most times I have to watch the first 4 seconds of an ad. It bugs me that even the crappiest videos seem to have half a million views. I think I might start watching your videos again, and be happy that I'm giving you an extra hit on your view counter. I don't understand the monetising of these things, but I wonder if you've not made the transition from using YouTube as a vehicle to promote DVDs, to however it works now. Maybe the donation cup makes too many people feel a bit guilty for freeloading. Maybe get rid of the cup and just invite people to come and enjoy. Get more hits, get some advertising revenue, buy a boat and keep turning left, or go round the other way. Or to Europe. Or come down here to Oz and show the world what paradise looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I love your videos Dylan, but haven't watched any for quite a while. I think a few posts here over the years have actually made me feel a bit guilty about being a freeloader. But I don't really think I need to feel guilty. I watch you tube videos about how to fix my cars, how to grow better tomatoes, what's wrong with my excavator, how to build a hookah, all sorts of stuff. It's all free, none of them ask for a donation. Most times I have to watch the first 4 seconds of an ad. It bugs me that even the crappiest videos seem to have half a million views. I think I might start watching your videos again, and be happy that I'm giving you an extra hit on your view counter. I don't understand the monetising of these things, but I wonder if you've not made the transition from using YouTube as a vehicle to promote DVDs, to however it works now. Maybe the donation cup makes too many people feel a bit guilty for freeloading. Maybe get rid of the cup and just invite people to come and enjoy. Get more hits, get some advertising revenue, buy a boat and keep turning left, or go round the other way. Or to Europe. Or come down here to Oz and show the world what paradise looks like.
    freeload away - it makes no odds - other than the films will stop appearing

and that makes no odds either

hits mean nothing now..... very few people make money from youtube itself

hence the bikini girls and their patreon account and pleas for money or the heavily sponsored videos

I tried dropping the reminders - hits went up - taps went down

If people give me money then I always send a nice reply thanking them

when I sold the boat I could not make out whey people started tapping in then I started getting emails like the one above which came along with a $200 tap

it was from an American Boat builder at Port townsend.

In the modern age you have to tell people to chip in

it is the old buskers cup

The odd thing is that many people might walk past a busker and never chip in - but if they stopped to listen to him for half an hour - or even turned up regulalrly to listen to him several days a week they would chip in. The web works differently - you never have to catch the eye of the busker

Beleive me I am as confused by the digital world as the next man _ I am 61 and started out at a written journalist using shorthand, bashing out copy on typrewriters and shouting news items down the phone to touch typists in the office.

I do know that tits make good money on the web and intelligent content seldom does.

the boat has now been sold so the donkey has dropped dead.... for the time being anyway

Lots to wtcb in the back catalogue though and the flow if tit based sailing films will run forever

D
    Last edited by dylan winter; 04-22-2017 at 05:35 AM.

Sad about the donkey. I guess at least I've virtually looked you in the eye Wondering how all the This is how to fix your brakes/build a nuclear shelter/cook a mean roast duck/grow better tomatos vids make money-assuming that's what they are there for. I suppose some are just genuinely sharing for the joy of it. But surely there is a sponsorship/advertisement based model there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Sad about the donkey. I guess at least I've virtually looked you in the eye Wondering how all the This is how to fix your brakes/build a nuclear shelter/cook a mean roast duck/grow better tomatos vids make money-assuming that's what they are there for. I suppose some are just genuinely sharing for the joy of it. But surely there is a sponsorship/advertisement based model there somewhere.
    you are dead right about the how to videos

they always get lots of hits

this one I made has had 40,000 views and I would never expect to earn money from it

The reason is that I literally did not go out of my way way to make it. I was fitting the roller reefing anyway so making a film about it is not time consuming.

the travelogues on the other hand are expensive to make

I am an ordinary bloke and could never afford to spend three months in Shetland and Orkney sailing around without income.

If I were rich enough to do without earning any money it then I would not bother making the films and just go off and have an adventure and do nothing more than email a few snaps at the kids

As for sponsors - the demographic for my films is old blokes aged between 50 and 70 who own small boats

It is hard to know what sponsor in their right mind would be interested in such a group -

a company that sold lovely warm cardigans or comfy slippers maybe.

As for the donkey

I am a serial boat owner and change boats as my sailing needs change.

Emotionally selling a boat is sad but there is usually another on its way soon.

I confess that it was the first boat I had ever sold that I really wanted to keep and still had a use for.

ten more films to come then the hard drive will be empty

so enjoy the films free of guilt as I no longer have a boat to support.

if on the other hand.....you enjoy them and think you would like to see more then there is a way.