Thread: O scale, down at the wharf...

Default O scale, down at the wharf...

On Troels Kirk's On30 model railroad.

Jeff C

Default Re: O scale, down at the wharf...

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    On Troels Kirk's On30 model railroad.

Jeff C
    Thats way beyond just good!

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Neat. Thanks.

Very nice. My only gripe with the boats is that they all look like they were weathered by the same person, which is an easy hole to fall into when doing this stuff. The water itself, on the other hand, is beautifully modeled, and that is a lot more tricky than just weathering a boat.

The water is really good!

I hate myself but I cannot forbear to point out that the hatch cloths on the coastal cargo steamer ODIN which appears in the first thirty second section of the video are in error - they should not be shown as being tensioned like a tent flysheet - they should actually go to steel bars which are held in place with wooden wedges...

You would probably need to be my age to have seen a hatch on a cargo ship with hatch boards and cloths. The Cutty Sark actually has her wedges in the wrong way round!

Anyway, in the above drawing:

1. Are the the hatch beams; these are steel, they slot in and are lifted into place and lifted out with the cargo gear

2. Are the hatch coamings

3. Are the hatch boards, which fit over the hatch beams

4. Are the hatch cloths; these would usually be in three layers

5. Are the wedges - wooden, knocked in with mallets. long grain face to the cleat (that's what the Cutty Sark has wrong)

6. Are the steel hatch bars

7. Are the hatch cleats; the three layers of tarpaulins are fitted taut under the steel hatch bars which fit in the cleats and are then held firmly by the wedges.

Since all this takes time and effort, ships with wooden hatch boards and cloths had "rain tents" which were rigged on wires and could be slid over the hatches fast if rain started during cargo work.

Nowadays we all use steel hatch covers of various designs which can be opened and closed at the press of a button. It's thirty years since I saw wooden boards and hatch cloths

Sorry to be such a pedant, but it's my business..
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 04-05-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I'm not knowledgeable enough to be picky - so I just plain enjoyed it!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I can't find an image of Cutty Sark's hatch wedges. Images all seem to have some sort of cloth covering over the whole thing with the wedges covered.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I can't find an image of Cutty Sark's hatch wedges. Images all seem to have some sort of cloth covering over the whole thing with the wedges covered.
    Here we are:

The hatch bars and cleats are painted white to match the white hatch cloths - not very accurately as the Victorian ones would have been "tarpaulins", of which Wikipedia saith:

The word tarpaulin originated as a compound of the words tar and palling, referring to a tarred canvas pall used to cover objects on ships. Sailors often tarred their own overclothes in the same manner as the sheets or palls. By association, sailors became known as Jack Tars
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Be sure to look at the rest of his posted videos. Fantastic work.
    Nosce te ipsum

Oh, how did I miss this? Probably the Universe protecting me.

I wasted many years scale modeling.

Peace,
    Half This Size

Awesome!
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Now you've done it! Forced me to go get another cup of coffee and start searching On30.
    Check out this guy. I'm assuming he's not married. Are there such things as Model Railroad Widows?
    https://www.scottrobertsonon30.com/info#header
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Further searching brought mention of the set for the Robert Altman movie "Popeye" which some modelers use as a reference. It still exists in Malta.

“What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Andrew, I was able to see images of Cutty Sark similar to that one. Due to the white paint, I couldn't see the bars or wedges so I figured the tarp went over top of them as opposed to behind them. I knew hatches functioned as you showed in the diagram (I'm a professional mariner), in fact the only thing I didn't know (it was after all before my time) was that the grain went long grain flat against the cleat. Thanks for clarifying.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Andrew, I was able to see images of Cutty Sark similar to that one. Due to the white paint, I couldn't see the bars or wedges so I figured the tarp went over top of them as opposed to behind them. I knew hatches functioned as you showed in the diagram (I'm a professional mariner), in fact the only thing I didn't know (it was after all before my time) was that the grain went long grain flat against the cleat. Thanks for clarifying.
    I am guilty of "rivet counting" here! It's a wonderful layout.

(I am also no fan of the restoration of the Cutty Sark, which has quite a number of absurdities!)

One point we can take away is the steady increase in the size of hatches relative to the deck, to the point where a container ship doesn't really have decks at all, from the strength point of view!
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Thats way beyond just good!
    I agree. That is spectacular!