Thread: Has anyone seen this foundry manual from 1958?

Default Has anyone seen this foundry manual from 1958?

http://www.hnsa.org/resources/manual...oundry-manual/

Just thought someone might find it interesting.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Default Re: Has anyone seen this foundry manual from 1958?

I have a reprint of that one. I find it useful, it's very comprehensive and detailed, a bit too comprehensive and detailed, actually. It's not geared to the needs of a backyard caster like myself, but written for shipboard foundry work. The photos and diagrams, which are generally grainy black and white, are all grouped together on their own pages, separate from the text, which involves flipping back and forth.

Good info, sure, but if you're just setting up a furnace there are simpler texts geared more towards the home caster. I htink that too much information at the outset can be a deterrent to someone teaching themself, it's not good knowing how many ways things can go wrong or just how technical casting can be. Let's face it, reading how to make a cored, finned, air-cooled cylinder is interesting, but if all you want to do is cast a pair of cleats it can be a case of TMI.

I was thinking that may be the case. What do you recommend for setting up a back yard operation? I know you've done it with your steering gear and the boom hardware threads you had going. Was thinking of you when I posted this. I'm sure others have some input, there are a few talented backyard casters here on WBF.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I like the C. W. Ammen book, "The Complete Handook of Sand Casting"...

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Hand.../dp/083061043X

Sam Johnson put together a book, half his own writings and half reprints of various articles. Enrolling in one of his classes would entitle you to a copy. Although he no longer teaches there might still be a source. James McMullen would likely know the whereabouts if there are any still available. It's the only writing I've seen dealing with Petrobond sand casting. The book was put together specifically with backyard caster in mind and covers making a simple furnace and the patterning and casting of small parts for boats.

http://www.archive.jimphoenix.com/ar...nk/CWB/CWB.htm
    Last edited by Jim Ledger; 04-04-2017 at 12:30 PM.

That second link pretty well sums up what learned at the two CWB casting classes I took, including the critical part which is how to put the blower together for the furnace. Casting is one of those things you can read a whole bunch of stuff about but really have to do to "get it".

James McMullen and I made up a batch of furnaces one summer before he took off, the hardest part was sourcing empty steel 5 gallon buckets and cutting them apart cleanly.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler