Thread: Keeping an 11 year old interested in sailing.

Default Keeping an 11 year old interested in sailing.

A nice 11 year old boy has said that he wants to go sailing with me this summer.
    So I have an opportunity to go sailing more if I can keep him interested.

My goal is to keep it fun and enjoyable so he will stay interested.

I do not no know what he likes so I will try a few different things.
    1. Camping on the sailboat.
    2. Cooking on the sailboat.
    3. Swimming off the sailboat.
    4. Fishing off the sailboat.
    5. And teaching him how to sail.

Any other ideas?

Default Re: Keeping an 11 year old interested in sailing.

Talk to him. Ask him what he's interested in. Has he read Swallows and Amazons? There's some pretty cool adventures for youngsters in those books and maybe he'd be interested in trying to replicate some of the things they do?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

You'll need a USB socket

Start with easily reached destinations....a couple of hours max normally. Lonely islands , empty beaches,
    Do you swim in Lake Erie these days? When I was there it was very polluted, really bad for health....though you do have a form of health care now ....LOL. Beach Barbie, Sailing model boats,

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Talk to him. Ask him what he's interested in. Has he read Swallows and Amazons? There's some pretty cool adventures for youngsters in those books and maybe he'd be interested in trying to replicate some of the things they do?
    I find Arthur Ransome almost unreadable. There is a nice book written by a guy in Tasmania recently. Similar idea, kids go sailing unsupervised. But readable. I don't recall the author or the title, but maybe Google will turn it up.

Make sure he doesn't get sunburned.

Let him bring a friend.

Make sure they wear PFDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I find Arthur Ransome almost unreadable. There is a nice book written by a guy in Tasmania recently. Similar idea, kids go sailing unsupervised. But readable. I don't recall the author or the title, but maybe Google will turn it up.
    Jon Tucker? http://www.nzmaid.com/

Geng, for the 11 year old - don't scare him. Some scare easily, some don't, both kinds can enjoy sailing but you can lose the nervous ones pretty quickly. With our sea scouts, we found that a good drill for the newbies was to sheet in to generate a little heel, then show them that dropping the mainsheet flattens the boat out quick smart.

My younger son, now 12, finds sailing boring, he prefers boats that plane at 20 knots + using as much power as possible. He likes visiting islands, catching fish, etc, anything with a very quick payoff but really prefers karate to anything on the water. My older two love sailing, they have much more ability to concentrate and relax without continuous stimulation. What I'm getting at is that sailing isn't for every kid, it's too slow for some...

No, not Tucker I don't think.

Agree with many things stated above. Definitely seek nearby destinations- I'd say a mile or two is just fine. My kids got bored before they were big enough to actually drive and manage the sheets (in fact as teenagers, they still sometimes get bored). Bring food. Bring toys- like a boat on a long string that can be towed behind. Bring a friend. Snacks help too.
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Give him the helm. Let him do something. Tell him it's his job to chart the course, or give the orders to follow, etc. So suppose he sets off on the wrong leg. Who cares, make small adjustments and find the destination anyway. We rob potential teaching moments by keeping control to ourselves.

Thanks, for the good advice.

Sea Scouts.. have the kid join the local Ship (Troop). DONE... I LOVED it. The BEST days were when we finished our work and we were allowed to take the small-boats out ourselves (we did stay in pairs) with NO supervision. We had the life-jacket, but otherwise were allowed to explore the S.F Bay shoreline... in this case, the whole system of piers and docks along Fishermans Wharf. We applied what we learned, got in and out of trouble with none wiser. Hi-jinks certainly did occur.

The value of operating a boat all by yourself does HUGE things for your self-esteem. Every time you have the urge to "Helicopter" beyond teaching basic safety skills, slap yourself on the wrist and leave him alone.

BTW.. in my opinion, you can't "Get" someone to be interested in anything.. either they are or they aren't. The best you can do is introduce them, for which it sounds like you already have.

it is certainly more complicated today than in our day. Many/most kids today are totally in tune with instant gratification, without effort or investment in the goal. Teaching that can be an uphill battle. Good luck.

If it's a wooden boat, it's probably a lot more productive to get a kid interested in working on boats than in sailing them!

Take him out. Don't ever," make" him go. Go home when he looks bored. Talk about non-sailing things- like the momma duck with the five ducklings swimming behind, where that muskrat lives and how to predict the wind by catspaws, etc. Help him study for a test while you sail the boat. Ask him to bring a friend. Anything and all of the above to make being on the boat the most natural thing in the world. The actual sailing will come.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I have a 16 year-old daughter who doesn't like sailing, she is slowly coming around. She had a bad experience on a beach cat a few years back with my oldest son, and is still a little scared. besides that, all my kids love to go sailing. I never get turned down.

I read Swallows and Amazons to my kids when they were about 6, but the three of them have read the whole series thin. Phil, they are children's books.

As for keeping the kids sailing, give him the helm. As the question "What do you think?" a lot. I took all of my kids to sunfish school and dropped them off. I don't think they learned much except not to be afraid. They would brag about turtling a Sunfish and now they have no fear. They are bored watching me sail, but give them the helm and they are all in. And of course some kids are all in. I doubt my daughter will ever be buying a boat, but she's great crew.

I will also add that do not take them sailing when there is no wind. Bob and Bake isn't fun for anyone. I like to take them out when the breezes are fresh but steady. Otherwise its boring and the first sail can't be that.

Here are a couple of videos of their hi-jinks.

This first video features a kid in the orange top's first time sailing. Check his scared look at the beginning and the pride when he's sailing later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3KM7p9Bt1E

This is me on a B & B Spindrift 11N I built and my two knucklehead kids on their Sunfish. They were fighting and screaming and having a ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO1Azy0Kw7w

Last edited by Steve W (NY); 04-05-2017 at 03:45 PM.

When my boys were sort of small (5 to 14?), they had a game of lining up an imaginary cannon, and shooting down the mast of any sailboat found motoring when there was wind. Since most sailboats motor more than sail, ( this was about 20-25 years ago) there was plenty of pirate talk and cannon fire....all good fun. Swallows and Amazons was good as well for my kids.

Steve W thanks, I think you are right, I did enjoy his books when I was young. I'd kind of forgotten that. Returning to them later was not so good.

Steve W thanks, I think you are right, I did enjoy his books when I was young. I'd kind of forgotten that. Returning to them later was not so good.
    I'm curious as to reasons why people are panning the Ransome books? I just started reading them now and allowing for context, intended age of the reader and the time they were written they seem quite readable to me. Not Wind in the Willows or Treasure Island by any means but still worth reading. My son, age four, seems to be enjoying Swallows and Amazons as I'm reading it to him. Not questioning anyone else's taste or judgement here at all, just wondering.

Maybe start with building a couple of simple-to-build PDRacers and just having fun on the water together for a summer, learning, racing, playing games, afternoon trips to different area lakes, etc. Then build the bigger/nicer camp and cruising boat once he's hooked.

Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    A nice 11 year old boy has said that he wants to go sailing with me this summer.

5. And teaching him how to sail.

Any other ideas?
    That's the one. He is years from driving and this is the biggest experience of independence he can get. Let everything else grow out of learning to sail better. Everyone I've ever taken sailing has become more interested in sailing when they learned how to do it as opposed to just being untrained crew.

Racing, hanging off the side by harness, capsizing drills.