Thread: Tool Gloat

Default Tool Gloat

Due to back issues my cowboy action shooter days are over so I sold off the guns and spent it on my wood shop.

A bandsaw tension quick release

And a carpenters hatchet

And a vfd speed controller for the lathe

[IMG][/IMG]
    Whoo hoo what fun!

Default Re: Tool Gloat

Very cool. Enjoy!

Watchu gonna use that hatchet for?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Very cool. Enjoy!

Watchu gonna use that hatchet for?
    There's a bunch of runners from the neighbors cherry tree growing in my yard all about 2-3 in in dia. that will make good walking sticks. So I'm thinking the axe will be a good tool to debark and shape them once they've dried some. Other than that for now it's just one of those "nice to have" tools.

Quote Originally Posted by cathouse willy View Post
    There's a bunch of runners from the neighbors cherry tree growing in my yard all about 2-3 in in dia. that will make good walking sticks. So I'm thinking the axe will be a good tool to debark and shape them once they've dried some. Other than that for now it's just one of those "nice to have" tools.
    I've got an old one that I've "played with," but never really "used." First off, it's got to be razor sharp to do any sort of fine work. There's a reason they're called "carpenters' hatchets" and not "cabinetmakers' hatchets." I'd put my lipped and carpenters' adzes in the same category. There's a difference between wooden shipbuilders' tools and wooden boatbuilder's tools. The same goes for those 4"x24" slicks. The hatchet is a nice conversation piece and you can impress people by explaining why the blade is offset, but for debarking and shaping walking sticks, I'd first reach from one of my drawknives.
    Last edited by Bob Cleek; 04-02-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Oh my poor bandsaw. I forgot, again, to ease the tension. I need one of those gizmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel_Nutkin View Post
    Oh my poor bandsaw. I forgot, again, to ease the tension. I need one of those gizmos.
    Those old-school black rubber tires don't care.

The polyurethane tires are problematic.
    Rattling the teacups.

Yeah, just replaced the rubber with polyurethane...

Iva hatchet that has lived under the drivers seat of every car ive owned since my paw died. It is kept pretty sharp. Its amazingthe number of uses it has been put to when there has been no other tool ......

Quote Originally Posted by Frank! View Post
    Iva hatchet that has lived under the drivers seat of every car ive owned since my paw died. It is kept pretty sharp. Its amazingthe number of uses it has been put to when there has been no other tool ......
    That might land you in jail in California.