Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Tool Gloat

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New westminster BC
    Posts
    1,143

    Default Tool Gloat

    Due to back issues my cowboy action shooter days are over so I sold off the guns and spent it on my wood shop.

    A bandsaw tension quick release







    And a carpenters hatchet





    And a vfd speed controller for the lathe

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Whoo hoo what fun!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    38,949

    Default Re: Tool Gloat

    Very cool. Enjoy!

    Watchu gonna use that hatchet for?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New westminster BC
    Posts
    1,143

    Default Re: Tool Gloat

    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Very cool. Enjoy!

    Watchu gonna use that hatchet for?
    There's a bunch of runners from the neighbors cherry tree growing in my yard all about 2-3 in in dia. that will make good walking sticks. So I'm thinking the axe will be a good tool to debark and shape them once they've dried some. Other than that for now it's just one of those "nice to have" tools.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    San Francisco Bay
    Posts
    11,148

    Default Re: Tool Gloat

    Quote Originally Posted by cathouse willy View Post
    There's a bunch of runners from the neighbors cherry tree growing in my yard all about 2-3 in in dia. that will make good walking sticks. So I'm thinking the axe will be a good tool to debark and shape them once they've dried some. Other than that for now it's just one of those "nice to have" tools.
    I've got an old one that I've "played with," but never really "used." First off, it's got to be razor sharp to do any sort of fine work. There's a reason they're called "carpenters' hatchets" and not "cabinetmakers' hatchets." I'd put my lipped and carpenters' adzes in the same category. There's a difference between wooden shipbuilders' tools and wooden boatbuilder's tools. The same goes for those 4"x24" slicks. The hatchet is a nice conversation piece and you can impress people by explaining why the blade is offset, but for debarking and shaping walking sticks, I'd first reach from one of my drawknives.
    Last edited by Bob Cleek; 04-02-2017 at 06:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Cambridge, NY USA
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Tool Gloat

    Oh my poor bandsaw. I forgot, again, to ease the tension. I need one of those gizmos.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,826

    Default Re: Tool Gloat

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel_Nutkin View Post
    Oh my poor bandsaw. I forgot, again, to ease the tension. I need one of those gizmos.
    Those old-school black rubber tires don't care.

    The polyurethane tires are problematic.
    Rattling the teacups.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Cambridge, NY USA
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Tool Gloat

    Yeah, just replaced the rubber with polyurethane...

  8. #8

    Default Re: Tool Gloat

    Iva hatchet that has lived under the drivers seat of every car ive owned since my paw died. It is kept pretty sharp. Its amazingthe number of uses it has been put to when there has been no other tool ......

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    San Francisco Bay
    Posts
    11,148

    Default Re: Tool Gloat

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank! View Post
    Iva hatchet that has lived under the drivers seat of every car ive owned since my paw died. It is kept pretty sharp. Its amazingthe number of uses it has been put to when there has been no other tool ......
    That might land you in jail in California.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •