Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 beds 1 bath 1,056 sqft SoCal House.

Default Re: 2 beds 1 bath 1,056 sqft SoCal House.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Well, yeah, I could see that, for a place that cost about ten times what mine did.

I wonder whether Joe's quoted amounts are per month.
    California tax rates are about a third of Michigan's in general. The one percent of the total assessed valuation in California is about right for an annual bill. The historic discount looks a little weird. I think Michigan's property tax rates for residential housing are among the highest in the country, mainly due to a tax system that gives large breaks to commercial and industrial property. It's a major incentive to move to Florida when people retire. One of the strangest situations is the city of Detroit, with the highest tax rates in the state, and the city itself owning the majority of the property, much of it confiscated due to tax foreclosures. Sort like a snake attempting to survive by eating its tail.
    Last edited by Dan McCosh; 03-31-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    As the startup business gets rolling so to speak, perhaps the investment in a brokers license instead of another truck would be the better payoff in the long run?

I strongly agree. The grooming business is perfect for finding homeowners thinking of selling.

I had a mom and pop business, they are hard on relationships.

Prop 13 in California changed everything here. My neighbor pays 1/5 the property taxes i do in the subdivision - they bought new in 1987 and me in 2000.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I strongly agree. The grooming business is perfect for finding homeowners thinking of selling.

I had a mom and pop business, they are hard on relationships.
    My thoughts exactly, the opportunities for networking are excellent...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Prop 13 in California changed everything here. My neighbor pays 1/5 the property taxes i do in the subdivision - they bought new in 1987 and me in 2000.
    Eventually that pays off, how much would your taxes be if you bought today?

Might remember southern California home prices fell 45% in the last deflation of the housing bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    As the startup business gets rolling so to speak, perhaps the investment in a brokers license instead of another truck would be the better payoff in the long run?
    Oh we are getting the second van the paperwork is already in. Its just getting far too busy we are over 40 new clients for just this month and next month is almost fully booked I can fit new customers in anymore it's snowballing everyday. I’m answering your post and 3 other clients texts, 2 thumbtack texts, 3 yelp texts, and several emails ALL AT THE SAME TIME 😧 My brain starts smoking and the phones start ringing at 7:00 am we are now starting appointments at 7 am and last appointments at 8pm, clean the van eat pass out at 10:00 get up and do it all over again.

The CA brokers license is 2X the hours needed to complete the licensing course and 2X the price. My NY Broker's License is non transferable. Additionally CA is a non lawyer state so brokers do the closing in the broker's office ( new to me )
    I think eventually as I grow this company and hire a booker to take over some of my crazy obligations I will get my license and do RE on the side. I TOTALLY agree that it dovetails extremely nice with the mobile pet grooming business almost to an unfair advantage. If I was a SoCal broker I would be afraid of me

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Tell the SoCal brokers Yer pool is bigger then rummys..........

That should impress those rubes!

Who ?

More OC ridiculousness. Last weekend Renee and I Vespa'd down to Victoria beach in Laguna. Zipping along the back roads, which reminds me of being on St. Barts on vacation, we pass an open house. Park the Vespa in the driveway, I look at the small simple raised ranch and say $1.2 million, Renee says I think more because it has to have an ocean view. We walk in the the agent overheard us in the driveway and says $1.2 ? You're a little off.

$2.25 million !!

It a 1940 ranch !!!! It has one real bedroom a closet and a cupboard they are calling other bedrooms. It has ONE BATHROOM & a 1970's galley kitchen. It's 1,444 sq ft that means it comes out to $1,560 per sqr ft. !!!!!

This is your ocean view

I have friends in the Pasadena area. I do not know how anyone in California buys a house! I really don't.

Good luck to you. I hope you succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I have friends in the Pasadena area. I do not know how anyone in California buys a house! I really don't.

Good luck to you. I hope you succeed.
    We are just goofing around not at the pull the trigger time at all yet. We are thinking about getting a larger Apt in the same wonderful complex we are living.

My limit is 1100 a square foot. I want to have a view when I move to San Clemente. This 2/2 is only 1.1m

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

We were in Victoria BC last week. A waitress told us about her sisters 800 sqft condo. Put it up for sale for $250K it sold 5 days later for $400K. She's moving to Calgary and plans to spend about $150K.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Nutsburgers.

OTOH, it is not just there. My hovel has more than doubled in value in five years, according to my realtor. I am thinking of selling out, taking the money, and running.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Nutsburgers.

OTOH, it is not just there. My hovel has more than doubled in value in five years, according to my realtor. I am thinking of selling out, taking the money, and running.
    Just know where you are running to.

My 53 yo brother-in-law who works a a waiter sold his 2 bedroom townhouse for $850,000 home because of his 575 per month HOA fees and half ago netting himself a very princely sum for the down payment. He can not find a house to move into for less than 700,000 that needs 150k work in a less desirable town near by (completely priced out of our town). He is going to be a renter paying 2600 a month for his 1 bedroom. He will be eating into his profits by next month.

This is making me feel really good about my $105k A-frame on 4 acres.

Jeff C

Circa 1971, wife and I went to an open house for a 4 bedroom ranch style in Bonita Hills. New construction, asking 50K, We were
    military and that was out of reach. Six months later, we happened to go back to their same house for another open house, and
    then asking price was then 350K.
    Only Joe can understand real estate pricing, I guess

Just know where you are running to.

My 53 yo brother-in-law who works a a waiter sold his 2 bedroom townhouse for $850,000 home because of his 575 per month HOA fees and half ago netting himself a very princely sum for the down payment. He can not find a house to move into for less than 700,000 that needs 150k work in a less desirable town near by (completely priced out of our town). He is going to be a renter paying 2600 a month for his 1 bedroom. He will be eating into his profits by next month.
    To my girlfriend's. World-class Puget Sound & Olympic Mountains view ( 70 miles +) on high bank waterfront. I am not crazy. ;-)
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Come to Seattle. Check this listing out. $1,100,000 for a cr@ppy little "830 square foot" house (that includes the partial basement, which is probably where one of the "2 bedrooms" is). And, it's on a busy street, hard by an intersection with another busy street. That's a couple of miles from my neighborhood (Ballard). Here in Ballard, people are dropping $750k for a tear-down.

At least the houses in San Clemente are attractive and well-built.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    We are just goofing around not at the pull the trigger time at all yet. We are thinking about getting a larger Apt in the same wonderful complex we are living.

All you need is a sugar daddy. Four years ago we helped a nephew buy a house on a ridge top overlooking down town LA, with a 270 degree view from ocean to mountains. I wouldn't want such a high priced house, but they paid us back quickly, and now we always have a place to stay in LA (although it's far from my favorite city). I'm glad that my wife always spurned my former desires to live in Southern California. It takes years to rationally overcome the California attraction.

So, if your new groommer wants to live in a little California ranch house, how much would you have to pay them?

It a 1940 ranch !!!! It has one real bedroom a closet and a cupboard they are calling other bedrooms. It has ONE BATHROOM & a 1970's galley kitchen. It's 1,444 sq ft that means it comes out to $1,560 per sqr ft. !!!!
    (You need to hire an immigrant, preferably from Mexico. They are honest, frugal and the hardest working people I have ever known, completely family oriented, often sending a good portion of their money home to mother.)

So on a lark Renee and I went to an open house in one of our Favorite little seaside towns, San Clemente. Just thinking of the idea of if in the next year or two if our business keeps going as well, we might be able to afford a little cottage. 2 beds 1 bath 1,056 sqft on the market for .... hold on wait for it ....... $900,000 !!!!! GASP. It SOLD at $935,000 Dreams dashed !!!

https://www.zillow.com/.../235-Avenida.../25143841_zpid/

you think that's a "Cottage"... looks like a Mansion to me...?!?

wow a glimpse of how the "other half" lives...

Where I Live, at 120k we bought 10 acres of 2nd growth trees and a 2600 ft^2 log house ...we had to build it. When I lived in Cal we rented for $100 a month in Coronado Cal.

Not any more.....
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    you think that's a "Cottage"... looks like a Mansion to me...?!?

wow a glimpse of how the "other half" lives...
    1,056 sqft is your idea of a mansion ? Wow a glimpse into the "mathematically challenged"

This is what I'd call a cottage style mansion.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. We got a 1221 foot 3/1

In Road Island these were called "Cottages"

http://www.newportmansions.org/explore/the-breakers

It's 1,444 sq ft that means it comes out to $1,560 per sqr ft. !!!!!
    $1,560 per sqr ft, and you guys think people in Mississippi are ignorant.
    Jack
    Nicotine free since 1 October 2009

Housing prices are weird and it all depends whether you're selling or buying. I have been in my house for 30 years. The value has almost doubled in the last five years. It's good for me; bad for my kids. When I retire we will have to move to somewhere with less expensive housing.

The house next door went on the market last Saturday. The seller will review offers tomorrow and accept the highest offer--- so that's less than a week. Offers on houses in my part of Seattle almost always have escalator clauses. Buyers really don't know what they are offering, but put a cap on the offer. It's a strange way to do business but the way it's done here.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Katherine and I visited a cottage on Cumberland Island, in Georgia last year. When built it had polished marble walls and floors as well as stair cases. Upon visiting it for the first time, the owner felt it too ostentatious for a winter hunting retreat so he had the marble floors covered with two inch think polished teak.

btw, its Rhode.

In Road Island these were called "Cottages"

http://www.newportmansions.org/explore/the-breakers
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 09-14-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

This is what I'd call a cottage style mansion.

Peace,
    That's just a big house.

This is a cottage-style mansion:

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

A getaway home just south of San Francisco...

Location, location, location.

2700 SF new construction, seperate boat garage workshop in Beaufort SC, 2\3 acre waterfront (during Irma VERY waterfront), deepwater 50' floating dock for well under that number.
    Now you gotta like gnats, skeeters and gators.

Cool little place though, and I do love the climate there.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!