Thread: What to see near San Diego

Default What to see near San Diego

I find myself in San Diego for the rest of the weekend. Staying right at Mission Beach, steps away from the marina at Sunset Point. Any must-see watercraft or boating related attractions? (Not going to Sea World, although we're right next to it.) Or, known-to-be-good half-day on-water excursions? (Not fishing or diving, etc. Just relaxing or critter watching.)

I welcome thoughts and recommendations.
    Chip

Default Re: What to see near San Diego

Fan of Richard Henry Dana/"Two Years Before The Mast"? Is Dana Point too far to go?

Replica of Brig Pilgrim visits San Diego (click)

Might still be able to find a whale watching tour. Of course, there's the SD Maritime Museum, and the Schooner America replica should also be providing on the water rides. Not sure the cost. Oh, and if you can head down to the SDYC and re-rig FAME as God (and B. B. Crowninshield) intended, and not the abuse to the eyes that DC came up with to get her to point higher, that would be good too.
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Heading out right now to look for those whales... so at least we'll get out on the water. Saw just two WBs in the marina nearby, and a few more nice-looking ones from a distance. Driving over the Coronado bridge, there were a few at the anchorage. (At least I'm guessing there were wood-ish, as I was driving and could only glance...

Thanks folks.
    Chip

The Point Loma Light House is an interesting place to visit. The original Frensel Lens can be seen in the museum and from the high ground there the view of the city and Coronado Island is spectacular!
    Jay

You can rent Catalina 16.5 and 22 at Mission Bay. They are reasonably priced.

Whaleage posponed for a day due to 8'-10' swells in the zone of interest (wherever that is.) But apparently fishing excursions had to turn back this morning. So Saturday.

Spent the day on a harbor cruise, tall ships viewing/tours, and missed the aircraft carrier cutoff by 18 minutes. Oops. So that's the backup plan for tomorrow in case whale watching is cancelled again. It was nice to see clear evidence of work in progress on several tall ships -- varnish/paint, and significant carpentry. Lots and lots more to do, of course.

Very nice Charles Herreshoff-designed/built/personally used carvel dinghy on display downstairs in the Berkeley ferry.

Chip

My son is home for spring break or I'd have you look him up . hope you had fun

One of the masterpieces of modern architecture is in La Jolla: Louis Kahn's Salk Institute.