Thread: Is 1958 evinrude outboard motor worth trying to get to run

Default Is 1958 evinrude outboard motor worth trying to get to run

I purchased an old wooden boat 15' Borum. The boat is in great condition. The motor has not been run in 40 years. It has been stored in a basement. Is this worth trying to get to run ? How hard are parts going to be to find ? Is there anyone left to work on this ?

The motor is 1958 Evenrude 50 hp

Thanks

Matt

Default Re: Is 1958 evinrude outboard motor worth trying to get to run

There is a club dedicated to getting those motors running and there are parts as well. Finding local help will vary.

Antique Outboard Motor Club, Inc. http://www.aomci.org/

What are your plans for the boat? We considered staying with the old Evinrude on our 1959 runabout but we wanted reliability, the ability to use marine gas without oil and a quieter ride. Going to classic boat shows was not high on our list, not breaking down in the remote bay was number one.

We repowered with a 25 hp Suzuki 4 stroke and she runs great.

Good luck
    Kent

I would, parts can be found if you look. If you decide not to let me know.

Parts are readily available. NAPA has most of the electronic parts, carb kits, impellor, etc.... There are many folk that can work on old outboards www.aomci.org is a great place to start learning more.

Andreas

It seems it should be a fresh water engine (OH). If it was put away in running condition, and still turns over chances are pretty good it will start right up (those engines are so simply). Due to the length of time it sat you should change out at least the water pump impeller and the ignition coil, and change the lower unit gear oil. Other than those there isn't much else to do.
    Certainly don't scrap it, there are those out there who would want it.

I restored an old PennYan with a 1959 35hp Gale engine on it. I know wooden boats, but nothing of engines. I don't know how many years the engine hadn't run, but it started right up for the mechanic I took it to to check out. Drank gas like a pig, spewed out a cloud of pollution but it ran. I only used it a few times before selling the boat and moving on to other boat building projects.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Sweet vintage of those engines Easy to work on, smooth running. Even though they were designed to run on 25-1 gas to oil ratio, with good modern oil 50-1 is OK and fouls plugs less. Replace the water pump impeller. Not the best on gas but nothings free!
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Absolutely worth keeping and repairing. For a manual on how-to... here's Max's book. BTW - he says the Evinrude/Johnson family is about the best for such restorations -- http://duckworksbbs.com/media/books/cheap/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

If you want to keep the Borum as Otis built it, I would keep it.
    www.aomci.com and http://www.marineengine.com are excellent
    places to become familiar with.

Here is the Barn Find of my Borum Cruiser:
    http://www.diy-wood-boat.com/barn-fi...5-cruiser.html

Andreas,

Thanks for the response. I took the motor to a guy who told me he could get it going (but has since had some personal problems and cannot work on it), but he told me that He was worried about being able to find parts. So you are saying Parts are not that hard to obtain. He told me it needed a starter, coils, tuneup. And the lower unit had water in it, but was not rusted. I know nothing about boats, but want to get it going. The boat is in perfect operating condition, just don't know what to do about the motor. My fear is that I might be out on the water and it would quite, then I would have trouble getting it going again????

find an older mechanic - get a second opinion.

if you decide to scrap it, if you have the time and energy,
    you could part it out and sell the parts on ebay . . . .
    there is still a big demand for the "Fat Fifty" parts. Both Johnson and Evinrude.

e boat is in perfect operating condition, just don't know what to do about the motor. My fear is that I might be out on the water and it would quite, then I would have trouble getting it going again????
    Unlike with a broke down car, one can't walk home. This is the risk that all powerboaters assume.An old motor can be a reliable motor; and new motors DO break down.

It's a cost-benefits-risk analysis for which only you can decide for yourself which answer is, "right."

Depending upon where and how you intend to boat, carrying a paddle or pole, or a smaller, "kicker" motor for alternate propulsion is common. So is having boating friends and/ or a contract with a service like Sea Tow , who will come and tow you home if you break down.

I am not endorsing any of the above, rather, I am simply pointing out some options you may not be aware of.

Kevin

Kevin

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrosser View Post
    Andreas,
    My fear is that I might be out on the water and it would quite, then I would have trouble getting it going again????
    Now that could happen with any motor if some electronic doohickey goes out. The tipping point for us to go to a new motor was when we were told that there were some 60 year old limit switches full of mercury that would shut off the motor if it tilted too much. What was to keep them from failing indiscriminately? Where we boat we are often the only boat out for many miles and there are not rescue or tow organizations nearby, so going new was our best option for reliability. For folks very familiar with 2 stroke motors it is not a problem.

Now if you boat with a lot of other boaters around, or want to go to the antique outboard gatherings, keep plugging away on the old motor.

FWIW, a new 25 hp 4 stroke will push a 15 foot boat abut the same as an old 35 due to the newer technologies and torque/prop interface. And the tilt/trim on our Suzuki is awesome. Out the door you will spend around 6K installed. Starts every time. Runs quiet. No oil mix.

Yes you can obtain stater, coils, points, condensors, etc... all over the place. NAPA auto parts stores have them or can get them. Sierra Marine sells 'em online. Water pump impellors can be found. You can get almost everything you need to tune and/or rebuild the motor. If you want cosmetic repairs, you can find proper paint and decals through several sources. www.aomci.org should be consulted.

Andreas

Hard to beat the style of a 50s motor! Parts for Evinrudes can be found with little effort!

WgMkr

I have heard these guys supply a bunch of parts but i have never tried them myself but i think you might look them up https://www.marineengine.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wagemaker View Post
    Hard to beat the style of a 50s motor! Parts for Evinrudes can be found with little effort!

WgMkr

what a beauty !!!!