Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Track saws

Default Re: Track saws

I've had a Makita for about a half dozen years now, bought before they were available in the US, and love it, I think it's one of the best tool purchases I've ever made. With a slab of rigid foam insulation or a sheet of sacrificial ply, you can set the depth of cut to within a fraction on a mm, this makes an excellent job site tool. I've resized cabinets, cut down doors and cut hardwood flooring for wood and tile inlays, l've even used it to miter 12 inch baseboard. The one thing you should NOT do though is USE IT LIKE SKILLSAW, take it from a long time user, the way the blade and saw pivots down makes it very susceptible to kick back when used without the track. I paid a lot more for mine when I purchased it, something like $700 cdn. but worth every penny, I swear it paid for itself ten times over.

i'm looking into a track saw now and curious to know if anyone can list any functional or specific quality differences in the three easily available brands;
    in my mind being Festool, Makita, or the Dewalt saw

the prices are close but when you add in the cost of the eight foot track (sort of necessary for sheet materials) the Festool is clearly the heftiest...
    any thoughts on what might set one apart from the other ???
    FESTOOL: $1000 (usually tax free)
    MAKITA: $745 (including 8% tax)
    DEWALT: $640 (including tax but often out of stock)

I'm very happy with the Makita that I bought when I started this thread. I ordered it from Amazon for $405, I see Home Depot has it for the same price. This includes a 54" track but you can buy a second track and join them. There was some feature that I didn't like about the DeWalt, but I can't remember what it was. But there are several comparative reviews on line.

coelcanth,

I own the Festool TS75 for about 5 years now. It's the most powerful of the bunch with the deepest cuts, so it covers plywood and thicker hardwoods up to just shy of 3". I have all the shorter rails from the 32", 42" 55" and 75" and just use connectors and a straight edge to make the extensions linear when needing longer rails. No complaints at all over the years. The tool has been a work horse. While I do not build full time, I build all sorts of projects for clients regularly, cabinets, tables, etc.

The Makita and Festool track saws can run on either branded rails, cross compatible, but the Dewalt is on its own.

The Makita is the 2nd most powerful of the saws behind the TS75. Festool's TS55 is then behind the Makita. Not sure about where the Dewalt stands.

The Festools do have riving knives that are spring loaded. For sheet goods not a big deal but for hardwood, it's added safety keeping the kerf open with the drop down riving knife. My understanding is that the Makita does not have one. Can't speak of the Dewalt.

Personally I think you'll get 99% of what you need with the Makita saw along with a few rails and connectors. No real need to get the longer rails unless you are cutting full sheets every single day. Many users complain it is a challenge to get a long rail that is actually straight without a bow of a 1/32" to 1/16" regardless of Makita rails or Festool. Transporting them is a pain and storing too.

The Makita is about $408 saw and one rail from CPO. Get an extra rail for $70, some connectors and clamps for another $60 or so. Not bad at all for about $540.
    - John

I've only ever owned a 54 inch track and have never had a problem ripping 8 foot lengths, just move the track, thats not to say an 8 footer would not come in handy, I'd do two 54's and the connectors. After a bunch of years I purchased the clamps and than cussed myself out for not buying them sooner, they are very useful. The Makita weighs less although any tool weighs less compared to its Festool equivalent. I really don't think you could go wrong with any of the three mentioned.

I agree on the Makita clamps. Well worth the price.

I just took another look at some of the reviews. There are a couple of popular reviews that say the Makita is more expensive because you have to buy the track separately. That is NOT true. Mine was $405 including the 54" track.

I think of all of them the Festool blades are the best quality. Theyre not cheap but they are very true and theres a LOT of carbide on the teeth so they can be filed a bunch of times.

Tenryu blades are excellent and less cost than the Festool blades.
    - John

thanks for the advice..
    i had thought two 55" tracks was a flimsy way to get a long edge but I will reconsider..
    it certainly saves a lot of expense and transporting the short package would be nice too

I have a Festool TS55 with two 55" tracks that I join together with their connectors for 8ft cuts. I love the saw and for breaking down sheet goods it's perfect for me, and honestly easier than trying to run thru 8ft pieces of plywood on my table saw. I can say that at some point I will buy the full length track because I have found that sometimes the joined sections are not perfectly straight. I do have an 8ft straight edge to check things but it would be a lot easier to just grab the longer section and use it. That being said it's a big expense and I have watched eBay for years looking for a deal on one and they are always close to the retail price, but one day.
    "Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up. by Henry David Thoreau