Thread: The "hook" on a Simmons Sea Skiff

Default The "hook" on a Simmons Sea Skiff

I have read descriptions but can't understand what this feature of the hull is? Does anyone have a photo to show what it is? Thanks much.

Default Re: The "hook" on a Simmons Sea Skiff

It is a downward flare of the bottom of the hull as it approaches the transom, to improve planing, and reduce the possibility of porpoising. Like the fin you see sometimes on an outboard motor.
    Steve Martinsen

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

It creates a suction cup, so to speak, on the bottom I suppose .
    I do leaps and bounds to eliminate it on my wee boat fer instance .
    Like the "dole fin", it helps with certain handling aspects to a certain speed
    It takes away top end speed, but most boats do not seek to zoom around with only 6 inches of their boat in the water,(weird huh?).
    If you place a long straight edge against the bottom of a boat fore and aft and move it side to side, you can see it. A big subtle dimple.

OK thanks. I found this thread that suggests it can be a sticky wicket. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...Skiff-18/page3

I have to wonder it slopping the engine well to an angle similar of a traditional transom, would allow a fuller range of engine trim. Seems this would serve about the same purpose.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

My comments above are about hook in general, not claiming sss expertise

WIZBANG, and MARK O......see my pix under "super simmons sea skiff".... Hook was designed into the SSS by Tom Simmons to keep boat from porpoising. Many people building these skiffs are unsure of it's purpose; and many want to delete it. Dave Carnell, who lifted the measurements from one of Simmons' original boat, and who knew Tom, said, "these boats are designed that way on purpose; leave it in". I think Ellis Rowe also echoed those thots. In building my 22, at the point of attaching the transom/motorwell to the last frame, I had a bit of leeway on how much hook to include. I ran battens for 'little' hook, 'more' hook, and 'a lot of' hook. I finally let the batten tell me just how much I would have and set it in place. I figured the boat was showing me what was "fair"....so I went with that. I'm calling mine the 'more' hook....sort of a middle ground.

Twenty-five years ago I built an S&G skiff that, after cobbled together, had a V-entry, zero deadrise and a "hook." The V-entry and zero deadrise were intended by the designer but I suspect that the designer may not have intended the hook since he also suggested transom wedges to act as a hook.

When at top speed in flat calm she was easy since, well, only the props were in the water. At lower speeds she was a bitch and in a following, a nightmare bitch. The designer no longer sells plans for her.

Her monocoque hull is in fine condition and I am converting her to a semi-V with no hook by installing bulkheads, stringers and a new bottom over the old bottom

Having said all that, how a boat performs is dependent on the waters she traverses. Mine is in unique waters and has OBs on the transom, not a motor well so maybe my experience is irrelevant.

You can affect the performance of a hull quite a bit (both good and bad) by building in a hook. Think of it like building in non-adjustable trim tabs.
    I have messed around a bit with wedges and have seen how small changes can really change performance.

I've often wondered about the results of lofting out the hook on older warped bottom designs to a more flat run. The consequences on planing and the necessary trim tab use at certain speeds. Naughty naughty changing designs.
    Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    It's difficult to explain virtue signalling, as I was just saying to my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop.