Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sailing Dinghy Similiar to Mirror

Default Re: Sailing Dinghy Similiar to Mirror

Michalak's Piccup Pram and it's descendants (one of which was shown above), are about the biggest boats you might want to cartop. They rig very quickly and seem to accomplish a lot for their size. The sails are balanced lugs on unstayed masts. Lots of flotation in fore and aft compartments, which are also storage areas. While I don't have plans for any of the Piccups, I do have a lot of other Michalak plans and find them a good value for money. Given that you want something small and simple for you and your wife to go and sail without a lot of hassle, I think you will find this of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson Marine Internation View Post
    If you build the Laita, it might be a good idea to incorporate some built in buoyancy chambers under the seats. I can't see any buoyancy chambers in the pictures of the Laita. The Mirror dinghy has a huge amount of built in buoyancy.
    As with all of Vivier's boats, Laita has built in buoyancy: 60 litres aft, 90 litres forward. I know because I'm building one!

Also, Laita is rated category C with up to two persons on board, and category D with three persons on board. For my use, I don't intend to sail her in open water. I'll use her on the estuary near my family's cabin in Maine. She'll be a replacement for a Sunfish. She's about the same size, but she's lighter, and pretty much better in every way than a Sunfish.

Last edited by photocurio; 04-23-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks for info on Vivier Laita - that is still one of my top choices. I have looked at the piccup pram - not overly fussed with it.

I am currently much taken by John Welsfords Truant
    http://jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/truant/

I was speaking to some Mirror guys yesterday, apparently the reason you can't by plans is down to a very exacting specification for the plywood. It is an hard to get imperial size and probably must have precise weight and stiffness characteristics. Each part of the kit is stamped that it is approved for Mirror building.

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    I am currently much taken by John Welsfords Truant
    http://jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/truant/

I was speaking to some Mirror guys yesterday, apparently the reason you can't by plans is down to a very exacting specification for the plywood. It is an hard to get imperial size and probably must have precise weight and stiffness characteristics. Each part of the kit is stamped that it is approved for Mirror building.
    When Bell Woodworking were the sole suppliers of Mirror kits there was a cottage industry building slightly different boats from slightly different ply to that originally supplied.The boats built from the Bell kits were well known for rotting in the vicinity of the floor,just aft of the daggerboard case and weren't quite as optimised for weight distribution as some of the alternatives.So what happened was that the kit was purchased and some parts were found to have been "damaged in transit" of trimmed a bit too small and thus in need of replacement-which was permissible.Such boats turned out to be just a touch faster than the boats from the standard kit and were sought after for serious racing and there used to be a large and very competitive Mirror class.One of the good things about the stitch and glue construction is that the shape came from the panels and couldn't be tweaked the way a traditional hull could be and it also meant that conventional building plans were not necessary and to the best of my knowledge,Bell never made dimensioned plans of the hull shape available.The class may have seen fit to change the situation since the demise of Bell and I have no current source of information in the class.

These folks are working on providing kits for Mirrors in Australia, you might give them a shout.

http://www.boatcraftnsw.com.au/mirror/

I have the plans for a 9'6" Nutshell Pram. Will go out and get the material this weekend.
    Shorter than you are looking for but i think a rather pretty boat.
    Maynard Brays book takes a lot of the guess work out of it, but i'm sure i can make a few mistakes.
    Why is 'Politically Approved' speech better than 'Politically Correct' speech?

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

Has anyone ever scaled up a Sabot to Mirror-ish proportions?