Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introducing Astraea

Default Re: Introducing Astraea

F10, ready to be hoisted into place. The bronze floors were cast by the Mystic River Foundry using Larry's patterns from Taleisin. It was something of a leap of faith that they'd match my lofted curves, but so far everything seems to be coming together nicely!

Great job!
    Don't worry I'm happy

"The law is what we have to live with.
    Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

Sherlock Holmes

Larry made a few patterns and modified the ones in between after casting them to fit. I suspect you'll be easily able to modify them to fit as required, that's how they were designed to be used in the first place.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Wow!! I subscribed for updates. This is going to be interesting. Really nice looking already.
    Grant

Kanata, Ontario, Canada
    Visit my first project: Building a Candlefish 13

Excellent!
    What do your neighbors think of your back yard boatbuilding? I built a 20 foot gaff rigged sloop in my back yard many years ago. Neighbors were very tolerant of the noise.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Excellent!
    What do your neighbors think of your back yard boatbuilding? I built a 20 foot gaff rigged sloop in my back yard many years ago. Neighbors were very tolerant of the noise.
    Great question. I live in a neighborhood of early postwar duplexes, so (as you can probably see), my neighbors are quite close by. I've made a conscious effort to make sure I have a good relationship with all of them, so currently everyone whose windows look into my back yard thinks it's incredibly cool. I also try to limit the noise if they're having a conspicuous outdoor event or party, as well as restricting most power tool use to daylight hours. That said, now that the frames are going up and she's looking recognizably "boat-like", I did also install a privacy fence so that it's less visible from the street. We don't have an HOA (thank God), and the county says there's no law against it, but I like to limit my exposure to the nosy busybodies that inhabit every neighborhood if I can!

Good luck. I think having a boat going up in your back yard will inevitably attract all sorts of curious folks. Some will just delay progress, others will be interesting to talk to and a select few will bring something positive to the project, be it a fitting they're uncle had in his attic or a bit of information on how best to do the next step in the project that you were having trouble figuring out. Good luck with it all. I look forward to watching your progress closely.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Frame 12 is up. This is the first one I've done that's fully double-sawn, instead of using natural crooks for the upper and lower futtocks, with a lapping piece in between them. It's also the first one to be riveted through with copper boat nails and roves. All subsequent frames will also have this, and they will be added to the existing ones retroactively.

Bravo!
    Jay

This looks great. Thanks for sharing.
    Chuck Thompson

Excellent, Keck. Thanks for sharing.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Wonderful build! It's really exciting to see you use proper, top grade, compatible materials throughout - bronze floors and rod, copper fastenings, lead keel. You are creating a signature yacht than could last 100 years or more with reasonable care. Can't tell you how many times I've looked with despair at a fine yacht dying a premature death due to some cost cutting by the first owner or on-the-cheap boatyard trying to save a few bucks by using iron fastenings, or substuting dissimilar or substandard materials in the layup. Well done!

glenn

Cool Re: Introducing Astraea

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn.brooks View Post
    Wonderful build! It's really exciting to see you use proper, top grade, compatible materials throughout - bronze floors and rod, copper fastenings, lead keel. You are creating a signature yacht than could last 100 years or more with reasonable care. Can't tell you how many times I've looked with despair at a fine yacht dying a premature death due to some cost cutting by the first owner or on-the-cheap boatyard trying to save a few bucks by using iron fastenings, or substuting dissimilar or substandard materials in the layup. Well done!

glenn
    Thanks! I'm not yet 40, so having this boat last a good long while is kind of a priority!