Thread: Is there a design...

Default Is there a design...

sort of like this (Alex's BUCEPHALUS, 19' sans bow sprit, 6 foot beam-ish) but drawn for using 3-4 lapped plywood strakes on stringers on a flat bottom and a centerboard:

Isn't that what everybody wants in their heart of hearts?

Default Re: Is there a design...

I'm not sure what the bottom of that boat in the picture looks like, but in my heart of hearts, I think I'd want that exact boat. She's a beauty. I'd keep the bowsprit, fixed keel if she has one, hopefully she has a reverse curved bottom... but I might like the idea of a lapstrake hull. I mean, I like lapstrake hulls a lot. I'm sure it would look good on that boat too, but she looks nice as she is.

There was a 22' boat designed by McKie Roth (RIP).
    Try the Friendship Sloop Society

Vivier Stir Ven 19

All but no stringers. Though there's good and bad with them. Meaban has stringers but the top sides plank vevrtically with plywood to a smooth finish.

No, its not what I want at all.

Desert Rat, I thought you're almost done with your Bolger Gypsy? Last time I looked at your blog things looked good. Is this your next boat? I feel like I've seen a comparable boat on the Selway-Fisher web site, but I can't think of an exact model.

...but drawn for using 3-4 lapped plywood strakes on stringers on a flat bottom and a centerboard
    I've not seen anything like that, but I won't say it isn't out there. It would make for a *very* different boat, though. Displacing 3000#, drawing 3'4", Bucephalus is a very big small boat --my father once described her as a big boat seen through the wrong end of a telescope-- and I don't think you could get that effect in the design/construction you're envisioning. That's not to say you wouldn't get something better suited to what you want, though. There are times --launching and hauling-- that I sure wish she were a smaller boat for her size.

I'm not sure what the bottom of that boat in the picture looks like...
    She's a very traditional, caravel-planked Friendship sloop, so yes, reversed curve bottom, built down with a deep salient keel (photos taken in '85; I modified her last year by moving some of her ballast outside, so there's now a 450# slug of lead notched into her keel):

...but in my heart of hearts, I think I'd want that exact boat. She's a beauty.
    You won't hear me disagree with you! :-)

...but I might like the idea of a lapstrake hull.
    Nothing wrong with a lapstrake hull. It's an intriguing idea. If I had to pick nits, I might worry that a lapstrake hull might be visually too busy, on a boat of her size and shape, but that's a small nit, and not one I'm certain deserves to be picked.

Alex

Yes, this would be the next boat. SWMBO said, "build a small simple boat to learn on, and then build your dream next." I'm just trying to obey her.

I'm on track to launch the Gypsy first week of April, I think.

Cornish Shrimper, sadly now only available in GRP

https://www.cornishcrabbers.co.uk/sh...s/shrimper-19/
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Don't get hung up on construction methods, you'll do fine with any of the plywood techniques. Not sure what your concerns about having a bowsprit are based on but if you can get past them have a look at:

Devlin's Winter Wren II
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

There was a 22' boat designed by McKie Roth
    That's a pretty design. Bucephalus and I used to race in the Friendship sloop regatta (she's officially #251), and the only boat remotely our length was the William M. Rand, who was a McKie Roth 22. It's not a design well adapted for plywood, though: very much a curvacious Friendship sloop.

Not sure what your concerns about having a bowsprit are based on...
    I think the OP was just stating that Bucephalus is 19' LOD, *not including* the bowsprit, rather than 19' sparred length.

For reference, Bucephalus is:

LOA 22'
    LOD 18' 11"
    LWL 16'
    Beam 6' 6"
    Draft 3' 4"
    Disp. 3000#
    Ballast 450# outside, 750# inside
    SA 203 sqft

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    I think the OP was just stating that Bucephalus is 19' LOD, *not including* the bowsprit, rather than 19' sparred length.
    Precisely.