Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any body into midcentury modern homes?

Default Re: any body into midcentury modern homes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Mullet and 1987 Camaro not included.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    ^ put a skirt on that this is a family forum!!!
    Now THAT is funny.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    MCM homes can be very lovely when proportioned and detailed correctly. Toss in some Eames furniture and some sexy accessories like a Bang & Olufsen stereo system and you be stylin', baby.
    Drool
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

The contemporary work of Frank Israel harkens back to MCM with elements of Gehry thrown in. I like his work.

That looks great Joe, but most every MCM home I've seen IRL, the glass is all streaked, cloudy, dirty.

Not a fan of that much glass without a permanent window washing budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Meeeee !!!!!!

Love MidCenMod
    Huge fan of the Charles and Ray Eames Case Study houses. Huge fan of almost anything Eames

High above the Hollywood hills this MCM house is striking

Shades of "Heat", Roger Van Zant's house. Big glass windows to throw chairs through. "Where is Waingro?"
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Dan, you're killin' me with the best of the worst. Is that the Dymaxion house? I thought of that immediately after the trailer. The triumph of manufacturing technology over poverty! Unless the lower cost just increases the profit margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Shades of "Heat", Roger Van Zant's house. Big glass windows to throw chairs through. "Where is Waingro?"
    Damn Bob you're killing me with my favorite movies - "Where is Waingro?" I'm just waiting for you to start quoting Sutherland from Eye of the Needle and our obtuse film connection will be complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Damn Bob you're killing me with my favorite movies - "Where is Waingro?" I'm just waiting for you to start quoting Sutherland from Eye of the Needle and our obtuse film connection will be complete.
    Haven't seen it! Gonna have to, based on your recommendation. Looking at description, the deception part, reminds me of Day of the Jackal (1973), well thought-out movie.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    That looks great Joe, but most every MCM home I've seen IRL, the glass is all streaked, cloudy, dirty.

Glass technology has come a very long way and now you can have glazing that is float coated with a self cleaning surface that uses light to break down and ablate dirt.

MCM is a pretty big fad right now and there are lots of people posting copious examples on Instagram and Pinterest, as well as lots of imitators producing stuff in MCM style.

It was of its age and it's time has passed. That's not to say there aren't some terrific lessons to be learned from the modesty of many of the designs, as well as the pretty darn groovy spatial relationships that were set up up and made into architectural typologies that are still around even in most McMansions.

However, I disparage nostalgia.

Here are some MCM examples from Australia, starting with the most famous Rose Siedler House, by Harry Seidler:

In Melbourne there is Heidi by McGlashan Everist, which is now an art gallery:

Robin Boyd was a highly influential architect at the time as well, and had a scheme going called the Small Homes Service whereby anybody could purchase a design at low cost, which was cheaply and easily built, and tens of thousands of them were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Boyd

I really do like them, but we should be designing for the early 21st Century now.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

It was ugly in the mid century and has not improved with age.

Bob, it's eleventy billion, trillion times better than the McMansion chit that pollutes the modern subdivisions both here, in the US and I'm sure other parts of the World.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to watch it, but there was a neat little series produced here in Australia called 'The Streets of Your Town' that might make you rethink the way you look at these designs.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Dan, you're killin' me with the best of the worst. Is that the Dymaxion house? I thought of that immediately after the trailer. The triumph of manufacturing technology over poverty! Unless the lower cost just increases the profit margin.
    Yes, it is. It's in the Henry Ford museum, fully assembled. Only one was actually built for someone to live in. The idea was a portable house that would be manufactured by aircraft companies post WW II, using the aluminum and techniques used to make military aircraft. Beech aircraft had a piece of the action, such as is was. I would think that contemporary houses being built from shipping containers share the concept.

Not quite...

Same! Same! But different.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Some of that. Also Wright believing he was good at engineering, and never, ever listening to anyone else
    That'll happen when everyone else is always saying no you can't do that.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

A lot of these houses are visually striking, no doubt about it. However, many are (IMO) hard & cold (cold in feel, not temperature) inside, thus being very uncomfortable to actually live in.

Part of that feeling is because of growing up in remodeled barns - done by my parents &, when I got old enough, with my help. These too required cheap heating oil, but provided some wonderful open spaces, but with the warmth of wood abounding.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

My mid-century house is from a different century.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    That'll happen when everyone else is always saying no you can't do that.
    And sometimes they're right. The trick is to know when to listen to them and when not to. Wright never listened to anybody. That's one reason he was so good, and also why many of his buildings were almost uninhabitable.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I actually visited the Douglas Grant House in Cedar Rapids in Iowa, and Mr Grant himself was still living there. Nothing other than warm, dry and magnificent both inside and out. AFAIK the only issue that affected the Robie House in Chicago (which I also visited) was the pointing mixture originally used was unstable since it was one of the first uses of colour in a cement or concrete mixture.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

My wife and I like MCM homes. As we work through the design phase of our "home to grow old in" one of the hurdles is getting the style to work within our 1200 square foot footprint.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I love the term, "Mid Century Modern". As I started my architecture education and apprenticeship in the early '60s, these are the designs and architects I cut my teeth on. The only style label we considered valid was "Contemporary Local", meaning of our time and of our place. Now retired, I find my time and place relegated to the middle of the last century.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Yes, it is. It's in the Henry Ford museum, fully assembled. Only one was actually built for someone to live in. The idea was a portable house that would be manufactured by aircraft companies post WW II, using the aluminum and techniques used to make military aircraft. Beech aircraft had a piece of the action, such as is was. I would think that contemporary houses being built from shipping containers share the concept.
    Huh! Haven't been to Greenfield Village in a couple decades, Ford museum since youth. I wonder if it was always there and I missed it, or added later?

I've always liked Montag's house, in the movie version of _Fahrenheit_451_ by Francois Truffaut. HERE (click) is an article.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post

You beat me to it. I like the style, but I just have too much stuff around to live in a house like that. To my eye it seems that the inhabitants do their actual living elsewhere.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Grant and Lee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-cleaning_glass

The field of self-cleaning coatings on glass is divided into two categories: hydrophobic and hydrophilic. These two types of coating both clean themselves through the action of water, the former by rolling droplets and the latter by sheeting water that carries away dirt. Hydrophilic coatings based on titania, however, have an additional property: they can chemically break down absorbed dirt in sunlight.
    SWIMPAL and I are towing with the idea of building a new house at some stage when finances allow. Passive house technology (air-tightness and an air exchange) and self cleaning coatings on as many surfaces, and being off-grid would all be on the cards.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

To my eye it seems that the inhabitants do their actual living elsewhere.
    Ya think?

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Grant and Lee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-cleaning_glass

SWIMPAL and I are towing with the idea of building a new house at some stage when finances allow. Passive house technology (air-tightness and an air exchange) and self cleaning coatings on as many surfaces, and being off-grid would all be on the cards.
    Duncan, I don't doubt that a careful builder, building new, could improve in myriad ways on the construction of a style that has been popular off and on for 60+ years.

My point is that most extant examples of the type that I have seen look really shabby run down, more so than more traditional types subject to similar age and neglect.

Lack of overhangs, for instance, means exposed wall and window surfaces. Flat roofs mean collected debris, choked gutters, corroded flashings, weep marks and rot.

I like the pictures on this thread of the new builds and spotless rehab jobs. But in practice, most houses simply don't get that kind of maintenance.

This is true for every building though Lee. Every boat too!

Good design can only ever work if a property is maintained properly. Some designs are done with a view to poor, or low maintenance, although most are not.

I live in a lovely little timber Queenslander (much like the cracker houses of Florida) and it requires constant upkeep and regular repaints, to the point where we are making longish term considerations to look at either making a big renovation of the existing house to fix all the flaws (boom boom) in the house that allow bugs, pythons in the roof, and dust and energy inefficiencies, or building anew.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Pythons in the roof? Suddenly, three feet of snow seems quite attractive.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Pretty harmless creatures. I've had to remove one or two from the chook roost from time to time by grabbing their tale and letting their head end wrap around a steel tyned garden rake. But they do stink something awful when they get stuck someplace in the roof and die up there!

Quite a MCM pattern they have:

It's the Tree Snakes that are a little bit more bitey, but still not poisonous. This one was just outside the bathroom on the outdoor shower head:

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

There is a derivative which i find intriguing. Small drop box style cabin.

There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.