Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any body into midcentury modern homes?

Default any body into midcentury modern homes?

Been looking at mid-century modern homes. I recently went to a party in an Eichler home in the east bay. KC and I are in constant conversations about what our life looks like after our boy goes to college in a year and a half. Of course my dream is greater than our budget... We may end up moving to Sacramento, Phoenix or another less expensive place over the next years.

Inspiring designs with open floor plans and glass walls.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 03-20-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

Default Re: any body into midcentury modern homes?

My buddy just bought one what looks a bit like the top picture. A custom builder built himself a custom home.

Too flash for me, but I DO like the style.

Peace,
    Robert

I live in one.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

ME!

I shopped HARD for a MCM house last time around, but there just aren't that many around here.

The inlaws have a midcentury ranch that started out as MCM, but every time something needs to be fixed or replaced or remodeled it leans decidedly toward "french colonial". It's their money, it's their house, but OH MY GOD IT KILLS ME EVERY TIME THEY PAY A BIG PILE OF MONEY TO COMPLETELY EFF UP THEIR HOUSE.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

I grow up in one; Levittown NJ (now Wilingboro). The houses in my neighborhood all looked like the ones in the brochure; mine was 'B', the single-story smaller one.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I'd expect him to take the Huff.

Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

When I was a boy a close friend of my mother lived in this Frank-Lloyd Wright house. it was moved to its present location at Woodlawn Plantation.

http://www.woodlawnpopeleighey.org/aboutpope-leighey/

I like the style a lot, a lot. Not ideal for the Pacific NW, however.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

My daughters home in Portland was built in 1956. It came in a kit delivered in three trucks. The builder then customized some of the parts to fit the existing foundation of a house that had burned down. It has a front window wall, and high horizontal bedroom windows. She's quite a collector of MCM furniture.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Meeeee !!!!!!

Love MidCenMod
    Huge fan of the Charles and Ray Eames Case Study houses. Huge fan of almost anything Eames

High above the Hollywood hills this MCM house is striking

Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 03-20-2017 at 02:01 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

. . . a close friend of my mother lived in this Frank-Lloyd Wright house
    Is the a Usonian house? Did the roof leak? I'm a great fan of Wright's aesthetics, but I don't know that he ever designed a building that didn't leak somewhere.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

We have a lot of home like this in Richmond. They don't do much for me.

or like this :

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Is the a Usonian house? Did the roof leak? I'm a great fan of Wright's aesthetics, but I don't know that he ever designed a building that didn't leak somewhere.

Yes it was a maintenance nightmare as I recall.

Skip that's not MCM It might be Mid Century but certainly not Modern.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

^ yeah you are right!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Meeeee !!!!!!

Love MidCenMod
    Huge fan of the Charles and Ray Eames Case Study houses. Huge fan of almost anything Eames

High above the Hollywood hills this MCM house is striking

i did the Eames study house in the Pacific Palisades 2 years ago. I love the mixed materials use. Very cool and worth the reservations. I'd do that house again now that i am more studied. We could go to Duke's afterword.

There are a LOT of homes like the one posted by Skip, in New England.... whole neighborhoods full of them:

This would be called a 'split entry', here in NE.... a similar style, a bit different, is called a 'split level'.

The other popular style in the northeast would be the 'garrison colonial':

These were built in vast quantities in the 60's and 70's... mine is similar, although the details on mine are more contemporary (Anderson single pane windows, instead of 4 over 4).
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

I grow up in one; Levittown NJ (now Wilingboro). The houses in my neighborhood all looked like the ones in the brochure; mine was 'B', the single-story smaller one.

My cousin's lived there in a B plan right next to the fire station! Have great memories chasing fireflies there.

Ahead of his time. Certainly ahead of roofing technology in his time.
    If built today they'd be fine.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Ours is a mid century 2-1 cottage. Not modern but not a ranchburger either. It could stand another head and a larger garage for at least one car, AND a decent size shop. There's a bit of a chance we'll move north and find a small town a ways inland for a larger AND cheaper house. We could also stay for another decade or two, but if we move I'd prolly be able to leverage another boat into the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Ahead of his time. Certainly ahead of roofing technology in his time. If built today they'd be fine.
    Some of that. Also Wright believing he was good at engineering, and never, ever listening to anyone else

Richard Feynman

We toured the Robert Alexander estate in Palm Springs last year. Famous for its architecture and a former tenant: Elivs

Great interior:

Elvis liked it too

Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Been looking at mid-century modern homes. I recently went to a party in an Eichler home in the east bay. KC and I are in constant conversations about what our life looks like after our boy goes to college in a year and a half. Of course my dream is greater than our budget... We may end up moving to Sacramento, Phoenix or another less expensive place over the next years.

Inspiring designs with open floor plans and glass walls.
    As a kid I lived in a little brick house. Mid century. Not modern. Certainly not as nice looking as those you show. But it was home.

You could have any of the houses you showed built in a low rent district.
    Life is complex.

this Frank-Lloyd Wright house. it was moved to its present location at Woodlawn Plantation
    I don't know the history of that FLW house, but "moving" one probably had him spinning in his grave, given his ideas on fitting the house to the surroundings.

Owned a couple. One what is called a 'bungalow' here, similar to house 8, #18. The other a skillion roofed architect designed and built house on a steep slope giving part two stories. Interesting but dated and quite difficult to modernise facilities wise without messing with the houses' design integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    I don't know the history of that FLW house, but "moving" one probably had him spinning in his grave, given his ideas on fitting the house to the surroundings.
    It was originally in the path of I-66, I think near Falls Church or Vienna. They moved more than 20 miles across Fairfax County.

I don't remember the details as I was too young. When I would go to visit Ms. Leghey, the house was in it's current location.

The house was moved by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. They are the owners of Woodlawn Plantation. Woodlawn was a gift from George Washington to his favorite niece .

^ put a skirt on that this is a family forum!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    The rust out back is a lovely touch but I wonder about the placement of the stairs.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

There are a dozen or so scattered around Wellfleet and Truro here on the Cape. An organization has negotiated with the Seashore to get them all restored and into high cost rentals. Most of them are really neat, some were improvs, just summer camps in the BauHaus style.

They published a nice book a couple years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Cape-Cod-Mode...d+modern+house

I grew up in a remodel, done during mid-century, of a brick row house in center city Philly. My mother loved the Danish Modern style. One of the objects I still have from those years is a plain old ordinary Eames chair. I never liked the Eames recliner. Everything else in my parents' house was non-brand, or designed and built by local architecture students. I still have and use a walnut sideboard that opens into a sewing desk.

Here's the Hatch House in Wellfleet on the Truro line, on Cape Cod Bay just south of P'town.

The view of the bay from the front porch. There are panels in the front wall which are lifted by lines going through a block system so they form a ceiling for the porch and open the front of the house's full height windows to the view.

The opposite corner of the front deck.

looking back at the house from just up the dune.

Over on the ocean side, also on the border between Wellfleet and Truro, sits the Weidlinger House, under restoration at the time of this photo (2015).

It's finished now and can be rented from the Cape Cod Modern House Trust for $2500 a week. Very private, only two other houses on that pond, in a colony of mostly either shingle style camps or more recent construction scattered around a group of shallow ponds on the Wellfleet/Truro border on the ocean side.

A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Designed when heating oil was 2¢ a gallon...

A replica built with modern insulations and windows etc might be OK.

MCM homes can be very lovely when proportioned and detailed correctly. Toss in some Eames furniture and some sexy accessories like a Bang & Olufsen stereo system and you be stylin', baby.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

I've got a MCM and have been having a blast renovating it. It is the standard lots of glass, low slope roof, compact footprint. One of the good points is that there are very few interior bearing walls, allowing to blow out kitchen and dining room walls to open it up. All of the ceilings are clear 2x6 T&G Cedar. The bathroom and laundry room had drywall lid framed in that I opened up to expose beautiful, un-molested cedar decking. Simple and clean is my MO on this one.

Love to see some photos, Schlaboatnic.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com