Thread: Tussle with judiciary and Russian connections

Default Tussle with judiciary and Russian connections

With start like this I doubt if he is going to last for the full term.

Default Re: Tussle with judiciary and Russian connections

We should be so blessed as to have an early end.....

From your keyboard to God's ears.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I wouldn't place too much faith in god's reliability in these matters myself..............

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I wouldn't place too much faith in god's reliability in these matters myself..............
    The problem with a belief based solution

Deus vult!

Or, inshallah.

You get the picture.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I wouldn't place too much faith in god's reliability in these matters myself . . .
    I don't. God, if he exists, certainly doesn't appear to stop people from doing stupid or horrible things when they're really determined. It was just a cute way of saying 'I hope you're right'.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Syed View Post
    Inshallah.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Inshallah.

Masha'Allah !

Quote Originally Posted by Syed View Post
    Except for the prospect of Pence. All of the evil. Less of the warning signs and incompetence.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I think he's made quite a good start at nobbling any effective moves to remove him. His major appointments seem not to have deputies or even backup so if Tillerson is OS Trump makes the decisions. Whole areas of governance have no heads of departments, he forestalls much of departmental decision making by his twitter feed and what have been traditional advisors on policy and priorities and security are likely to be, with the appointment of Ivanka, twice removed from actual contact.
    He's doing a good job of taking over the country, and only over reach will likely stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Except for the prospect of Pence. All of the evil. Less of the warning signs and incompetence.
    Do you think, honestly curious here as opposed to being rhetorical, that Pence's public avowal of ignorance of Flynn's lies was genuine? It implied that he has some innocent distance from the center of the escalating scandal. I think it might have been a ruse for two purposes, to keep Pense out of the sticky net of the investigation, thereby insuring the Rs get to keep the White House if t'chmp eventually goes down, and in the short term, to provide another shiny object. It might also have been a form of leverage for blackmail, to keep him from disavowing membership in the cabal with culpable knowlege of the treason, for the same reason, to try to preserve an R White House, in the event.
    Our real enemy is the
    MIC

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    True, Trump may be the lesser of two weevils.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

They won't remove him as long as he's popular with the base. Isn't he still running about 80% approval among Republicans? They won't impeach or otherwise remove him while the base still loves him.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    They won't remove him as long as he's popular with the base. Isn't he still running about 80% approval among Republicans? They won't impeach or otherwise remove him while the base still loves him.
    Exactly. Here's a very depressing chart, reflecting polarization more than anything . . . at least I hope that's what it shows; the idea that this blithering idiocy is what 80% of Republicans wanted all along is highly unpleasant to contemplate.

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Exactly. Here's a very depressing chart, reflecting polarization more than anything . . . at least I hope that's what it shows; the idea that this blithering idiocy is what 80% of Republicans wanted all along is highly unpleasant to contemplate.

Oh, good lord. That's the scariest chart you've ever posted.

Oh, good lord. That's the scariest chart you've ever posted.
    For sure! How can there be such a huge difference between Reps & others?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    For sure! How can there be such a huge difference between Reps & others?

For one thing, it used to be that about the same number of people with authoritarian personality type belonged to each party. There's been some sorting, and at this point, most of them are in the Republican Party.

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/1/11127424...thoritarianism

OK, that chart was just wrong. The guy who posted it just got the numbers wrong and has since corrected it (source). Sorry, I hate to post something so far off, even though the correction is rather reassuring. Trump's support among Republicans is not unusual at all.

Richard Feynman

OK, that chart was just wrong. The guy who posted it just got the numbers wrong and has since corrected it (source). Sorry, I hate to post something so far off, even though the correction is rather reassuring. Trump's support among Republicans is not unusual at all.

Trump is there because they want him there. The wealthy own us, and everything else.
    They will use this until it does not suit them anymore.

Then, move on to another foot hold. You, us, will lose in the end.

This game will never go in the direction you want, if you are a small fish. Has always been, will always be.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    Trump is there because they want him there. The wealthy own us, and everything else.
    They will use this until it does not suit them anymore.

Then, move on to another foot hold. You, us, will lose in the end.

This game will never go in the direction you want, if you are a small fish. Has always been, will always be.

And yet, in the '40s, the country worked quite differently, and the rich didn't get everything they wanted. Something has changed.

Thanks, I feel much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    Trump is there because they want him there. The wealthy own us, and everything else. They will use this until it does not suit them anymore. Then, move on to another foot hold. You, us, will lose in the end. This game will never go in the direction you want, if you are a small fish. Has always been, will always be.
    History shows this is not true. Sometimes, but definitely not always.

Richard Feynman

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Nor is it really materially different from Democratic voter support for Democratic presidents.

The only hopeful prospect is that "independent" is the largest "party" in the U.S.

There is a game theory / bargaining puzzle here. The Republicans are running mostly hard right candidates. There is some evidence the Democrats are running slightly to the left. There ought to be candidates in the center, but there aren't. When the time comes that one of the parties can pivot and own the center, the country will change. Maybe dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Nor is it really materially different from Democratic voter support for Democratic presidents.

The only hopeful prospect is that "independent" is the largest "party" in the U.S.

There is a game theory / bargaining puzzle here. The Republicans are running mostly hard right candidates. There is some evidence the Democrats are running slightly to the left. There ought to be candidates in the center, but there aren't. When the time comes that one of the parties can pivot and own the center, the country will change. Maybe dramatically.

What would be required to realize that dream is competitive districts.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

What would be required to realize that dream is competitive districts.
    At most that explains the House. It does not explain the White House, Senate, governorships, and most state legislatures. Which look like the House.

Gerrymandering is a thing, but it's getting shopworn. "The sun got in my eyes!"

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    At most that explains the House. It does not explain the White House, Senate, governorships, and most state legislatures. Which look like the House.

Gerrymandering is a thing, but it's getting shopworn. "The sun got in my eyes!"

The senate should be less polarized, but there's still a rural/urban divide based on the states. One big driver for the polarization we see is the hangover from the Civil Rights movement. The Northern democrats didn't move much, but the party lost their conservative Southern Democrats.

That happened on a regional basis, not a district basis. But fixing gerrymandering would be a start. You are wrong to think it's only gerrymandering I'm talking about.

A lot of US Presidents have had administrations touched by controversy and corruption.

Interestingly, not Obama.

I have never seen so many people so very close to a President touched by the same charge of corruption. All around Trump there is talk of Russian involvement. It grows increasingly improbable that Trump is not involved.

History shows this is not true. Sometimes, but definitely not always.
    Oh really? If you look back over our entire history it has been the status quo. You can only name very brief periods when things were in favor of the common folk.

Dream on .

I still have a lot of trouble with the idea that Trump has much smarts involved in this. With Nixon we understood that he was not a stupid man. Pinning malfeasance on him didn't grate against the appearance of an essential lack of intelligence. It was simply not credible that he didn't know, wasn't involved in, what happened.

With Trump I still find it just as likely that he's just being his shallow, self-important self and basically not wiley or even intelligent enough to be pulling any viable strings.

The problem, it seems to me, is the people who have attached themselves to his carnival - the Pences and Bannons and Trump children. It's not that they're telling him how to behave, writing the tweets while little Donald sleeps on unaware. It's that they're lighting the fires under his apoplexy, feeding his vanity, liberating his self-aggrandizing outrage. I'd like to see evidence that they're also up at 3 and 4 in the morning, helping him find the words to express his outrage and little explosions, leaving little notes around where he goes for mid-night snack, prodding his vanity.

He just comes across as a person with little sense of direction, someone who flails at every mosquito that flies past whether it was going for his arm or not.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

More recent data, but not much change:
    \

Richard Feynman

More recent data, but not much change:
    \

The Democrats are a whole lot closer to the center, but I guess we knew that.