Thread: need help

Default need help

hi

doing a 3 week coastal sail in a 10 foot dinghy. lost my anchor rode and sea anchor in a storm and now have my little tub anchored (still have the regular anchor) bobbing about 200m off the beach. problem, anchor is tied with 40m piece of rope i had using a bowline though a d shackle. nowhere near any place to buy another rode, but i need to use the anchor each evening as trying to land on the beach in these breakers is not something i want to do again. i will be out a few more weeks and need a better temporary fix so i don't lose my anchor and my boat. any ideas that could be rigged to last a few more weeks? i don't have a chain either. so i have anchor, rope and d shackle. what's the best way to rig these. i can access how to do suggested knots through phones of people on the beach who don't run away when they see me. there have been quite a few that have. i must look a fright.

Default Re: need help

Use an anchor bend. Don't bother with the shackle. This weakens the line less than a bowline, is less likely to snag, and is less vulnerable to chafe.

Grand adventure. Be sure to fill us in when you've the time.

G'luck

thank you so much. i wrote down the name of the knot. phone repo in progress.

grand adventure. i like that. my dad referred to it as a goat rope.

Not all schematics will show the bitter end seized like this. Any knot can work loose, so be sure to seize it with some small line or copper or stainless wire.

You can also splice it, or at least tuck it back thru a couple of times.

It also helps to add a float to the end of the line in case it goes overboard, intentionally or otherwise.

spotted a beach shower at a tony looking resort and swam in for a shampoo and a little less salt stuck to me for an hour or so. nice lady let me borrow her phone and look at the knot pics. thank you. the animated thing was confusing to me, maybe because i am a bit weary.

yes, the float. that's what one of the things i forgot when my sea anchor and rode disappeared. the other. i thought i had tied the rode to the painter and had not. my excuse, if there ever is one for not securing any type of anchor, was an extreme call of nature in meter seas combined with hurling my tainted fish breakfast back to where it came from. ugh! traded a coke to a fisherman i passed this morning for a float of sorts and it floats, but it also smells terrible, almost enough to initiate anther hurling session. what could possibly make a float smell so bad? i may have to trail i behind the boat.

resort manager showed up to give me the stink eye. nice lady acted like we were old buddies so no guns were drawn. clean hair, sorta clean body, coke replaced, life is good.

thanks all.

I would definitely use a shackle if the ring in the anchor isn't perfectly smooth and rounded.

/Mats
    My blog about my time as a boat building student and as a rigger apprentice http://kaptenmohsart.blogspot.se/ in Swedish only, but there are many pictures :-)

I certainly hope that the ground tackle situation gets sorted, but I want to know more about this trip. It sounds like quite the adventure!
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    I certainly hope that the ground tackle situation gets sorted, but I want to know more about this trip. It sounds like quite the adventure!
    Yes. Me, too.

I would like to hear more too, but the guy gets onto the Internet by borrowing phones from people on the beach! Is there anyone in the area that could search him out? It sounds like he could use a few days ashore, and maybe a good meal or 2 as well.

Guy? I'm assuming Gwen G is a woman. And from the sound of it she doesn't need anything from anyone except a bit of knot tying advice. Borrowing cell phones and showers, trading cokes to fishermen for a float... It's straight out of Arthur Ransome, suitably updated for the current age. Of course no cell phone probably means no photos of this expedition. Which is a shame - it sounds like an experience worth sharing.
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!