Thread: Summer Vacation idea- Missouri Breaks Field Guide. Care to go for a paddle or drift?

Default Summer Vacation idea- Missouri Breaks Field Guide. Care to go for a paddle or drift?

For Rob and other summer vacation dreamers...

I have been seriously thinking about doing a drift down the upper Missouri in Montana. If there is enough inertia and folks - maybe we manage a good float along the Lewis and Clark route this summer.

This folks from Sunburn Canoe - Minnesota did it in style. Seriously check it out - it has great descriptions, super canoes, and beautiful pictures. http://sanborncanoe.com/collections/...ks-field-guide http://sanborncanoe.com/collections/...ks-field-guide

Our own corps of discovery travelled through the same stretch of river and found the marvels of nature are no less stunning today than when Lewis observed them all that time ago. Every bend of the river revealed a new gallery of wonderful and grotesque creations. Rusty black volcanic spires and white, sandstone cliffs tower hundreds of feet above the water. Weather worn sculptures of creatures from this world and the next, each shaped by the passing of time and given form by your own imagination.

In Montana, you can see close at hand a period in American history without even going to a museum; canoe the Missouri River Breaks and you’ll see it. The shoreline is dotted with abandoned homesteads. Plots of land were once given freely to encourage families to settle the West. People came in search of wealth, adventure or simply a fresh start. Whatever brought them, the homes they built are still standing in testament to that ingrained American spirit: the need to go, to see, to make their own way and build a new life.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 03-20-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

Default Re: Summer Vacation idea- Missouri Breaks Field Guide. Care to go for a paddle or dr

I will be poring over that link later.
    Paddling has gotten harder and harder of late, but shoot, for a mostly drift type paddle, I'm sure I could manage.
    I may have to bring a double paddle, though, as they seem to hurt my back less.

Don't laugh.

This definitely sounds intriguing. And my type deal.

Peace,
    Robert

Default Re: Summer Vacation idea- Missouri Breaks Field Guide. Care to go for a paddle or dr

Not this?

SUCH a great movie...
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Some years ago Frank Briscoe and I were serving as the adult leaders of our Scout troop's High Adventure program. We decided that one of our goals was to train our Scouts to be able to safely do things that were difficult, dirty, and dangerous—hiking and camping, rock-climbing, rappelling, and caving. Character building and fun.
    Our plans included an expedition to Scout Canoe Base at Ely, Minnesota, and the boys wanted to mount a Boundary Waters expedition across the border into Canada.
    However one of the guys' program sub-sets was that the Scouts had to earn the money to cover the cost of each adventure, they couldn't simply ask their parents for money. The expedition to Ely would be relatively expensive, so the guys held a meeting and came up with an idea: They would shelve the trip to the Canoe Base until next year, but in the meantime they proposed that we plan to canoe all of the Scenic Waterways in Missouri. We already had the canoes and tents, so our expenses would just be for campfire food, and a couple of tanks of gas for Frank's van.

So that summer we established our base camp at Round Spring, and canoed the Current River, Jack's Fork, the Spring River, the Eleven Point, the Meramec, and more than I can remember. We swam, climbed, explored caves, and had a heck of a lot of fun. Our scouts became expert canoeists, and the next year we canoed out of Ely, into the Boundary Waters.

Ted, you're asking if you should take a vacation on the water?
    Oh yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    Some years ago Frank Briscoe and I were serving as the adult leaders of our Scout troop's High Adventure program. We decided that one of our goals was to train our Scouts to be able to safely do things that were difficult, dirty, and dangerous—hiking and camping, rock-climbing, rappelling, and caving. Character building and fun.
    Our plans included an expedition to Scout Canoe Base at Ely, Minnesota, and the boys wanted to mount a Boundary Waters expedition across the border into Canada.
    However one of the guys' program sub-sets was that the Scouts had to earn the money to cover the cost of each adventure, they couldn't simply ask their parents for money. The expedition to Ely would be relatively expensive, so the guys held a meeting and came up with an idea: They would shelve the trip to the Canoe Base until next year, but in the meantime they proposed that we plan to canoe all of the Scenic Waterways in Missouri. We already had the canoes and tents, so our expenses would just be for campfire food, and a couple of tanks of gas for Frank's van.

So that summer we established our base camp at Round Spring, and canoed the Current River, Jack's Fork, the Spring River, the Eleven Point, the Meramec, and more than I can remember. We swam, climbed, explored caves, and had a heck of a lot of fun. Our scouts became expert canoeists, and the next year we canoed out of Ely, into the Boundary Waters.

Ted, you're asking if you should take a vacation on the water?
    Oh yes!
    This sounds glorious!
    Our oldest two grew up in a canoe. Well, a few, but mainly one.
    I love canoes more than any other boats.

Peace,
    Robert

I have done this a couple times, most recently July 2014, Coal Banks Landing to James Kipp.

Here is the thread I posted on the subject.

Naturally, the pics are no longer linked.

Nice photos on that site Ted, thanks.

This trip is on our list. I'd like to pull together what family youngsters, and willing and able oldsters that are up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    I have done this a couple times, most recently July 2014, Coal Banks Landing to James Kipp.

Here is the thread I posted on the subject.

Naturally, the pics are no longer linked.
    I remember your thread. it was an inspiration that i filed from that. wish your photos were still up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I remember your thread. it was an inspiration that i filed from that. wish your photos were still up.
    I can drop a few here, for as long as the links last:

First lunch stop out of Coal Banks:

Yours truly with catfush:

Awesome canyon hike:

My kids in one of our E.M. White guide models per Gilpatrick:

A few more...

My brother and wife in a slightly stretched Ranger per Moores:

From a bluff:

Sailing, and looking a little ragged:

Muddy beaches in lower sections...very old buffalo horn that was exposed in an eroded bank:

One more...

Ted,
    I just tonight finished a book, The Fate Of The Corps, Larry e Morris.

This book covers all the history of this wonderful area. I'm thinking this would be a great read for you prior to going!

You could amaze your fellow explorers with your knowledge of all that is. Lewis and Clark...this book covers all, i mean all that happened along that river system during the expedition!

Yours free, if you PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    Ted,
    I just tonight finished a book, The Fate Of The Corps, Larry e Morris.

This book covers all the history of this wonderful area. I'm thinking this would be a great read for you prior to going!

You could amaze your fellow explorers with your knowledge of all that is. Lewis and Clark...this book covers all, i mean all that happened along that river system during the expedition!

Yours free, if you PM me.

That looks like a great book. Thats very kind! PM sent!

Oh, that does look glorious. That would be a fun trip. Gosh, I might even be tempted to throw together a quick and dirty ply batteau for that drift...

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    I can drop a few here, for as long as the links last:

First lunch stop out of Coal Banks:

Yours truly with catfush:

Awesome canyon hike:

My kids in one of our E.M. White guide models per Gilpatrick:
    So much fun! Your photos are super and quite an inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Oh, that does look glorious. That would be a fun trip. Gosh, I might even be tempted to throw together a quick and dirty ply batteau for that drift...

Peace,
    Robert
    Yeah!

Do you own The Dory Book?

This is an 18' Light Batteau I built in '05. Needs outriggers to really row, but where there's a moderate current it's the bee's knees. Can also be paddled, though it's a bit wide in the ends:

I do have the Dory Book, in fact. I'm thinking a 24-ish foot batteau would be awesome, and plenty big for a few of us to live out of for a few days. And, be sort of in character. I won't wear buckskin, I promise. I will bring my tomahawk and top hat, though.
    Maybe a lapstake sided, cross plank bottomed quick and dirty bateau?

This was our Gilpatrick Guide canoe. I wish I still had it. It is my all time favorite boat, ever.
    I wish it was still 400 years ago, too.

Peace,
    Robert

The big batteau sounds like a plan. I do require a big cooler full of watermelons, hardboiled eggs, and various and sundry extravagances.

Do you have a timeframe in mind?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    Do you have a timeframe in mind?

Gary
    i was thinking after July 16 and before mid August. I secretly want to go to Mystic too but I don't know if I can do both. Self employment and family life has lots of gravity.

How well do you think a boat like this would fair? Perhaps slightly more modified to be more like a canoe freighter.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 03-21-2017 at 02:07 PM.

The book is on the way Ted.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    The book is on the way Ted.

Great! Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    i was thinking after July 16 and before mid August. I secretly want to go to Mystic too but I don't know if I can do both. Self employment and family life has lots of gravity.
    That is probably the best chance I'd have to get away for a float, too.

I am also a fan of the company and their exploits, so I'd love to float some of that country.

Peace,
    Robert