Thread: Former NC police chief detained at JFK for 90 minutes

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Default Former NC police chief detained at JFK for 90 minutes

A former North Carolina police chief whose mother is Italian and father is Somali said Sunday that he’s disappointed with his country of 42 years after he was detained at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

Former Greenville Police Chief Hassan Aden of Alexandria, Virginia, who now works as a law enforcement consultant, said he was detained March 13 on his return trip from Paris for his mother’s 80th birthday. He supports the officers of the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, but he believes his 90-minute detention was unreasonable, he said in a telephone interview.

Aden said a customs officer told him that his name was used as an alias by someone on a watch list. He said one officer told him that he wasn’t being detained even though he couldn’t use his phone and he had to remain seated.

“When it goes to 90 minutes with no phone ... and you can’t move around, it seems more than an investigation to check your passport,” he said. “It begins to feel like you are in custody.”

Aden described the scene in a Facebook post Saturday, adding that the officer who told him that he wasn’t being detained has an “ignorance of the law and the Fourth Amendment” of the U.S. Constitution that should disqualify him as a customs officer.

“I certainly was not free to leave,” Aden said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.5c8d61e22dd8
    "To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

Default Re: Former NC police chief detained at JFK for 90 minutes

To be fair, his former occupation should not influence the action of law enforcement or border security.

That said, it is an excellent demonstration of the excesses in the system at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    A former North Carolina police chief whose mother is Italian and father is Somali said Sunday that he’s disappointed with his country of 42 years after he was detained at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

Former Greenville Police Chief Hassan Aden of Alexandria, Virginia, who now works as a law enforcement consultant, said he was detained March 13 on his return trip from Paris for his mother’s 80th birthday. He supports the officers of the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, but he believes his 90-minute detention was unreasonable, he said in a telephone interview.

Aden said a customs officer told him that his name was used as an alias by someone on a watch list. He said one officer told him that he wasn’t being detained even though he couldn’t use his phone and he had to remain seated.

“When it goes to 90 minutes with no phone ... and you can’t move around, it seems more than an investigation to check your passport,” he said. “It begins to feel like you are in custody.”

Aden described the scene in a Facebook post Saturday, adding that the officer who told him that he wasn’t being detained has an “ignorance of the law and the Fourth Amendment” of the U.S. Constitution that should disqualify him as a customs officer.

“I certainly was not free to leave,” Aden said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.5c8d61e22dd8

I do not see the big deal.
    His name was on a watch list.
    They held him until they could verify he was not the person on the watch list.
    90 Mins seems fast for a Government Employee to do this check.

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    . . .
    Of course not.
    Rattling the teacups.

it was too long... especially since he was restrained (sort of)
    something similar happened to me and I got home and called my representative and got it straightened out in about an hour... I was not restrained
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    it was too long... especially since he was restrained (sort of)
    As borne out by this from his facebook page.
    Fortunately, a CBP officer that had just started her shift took interest in my situation and began to inquire with the “other agency” that was reviewing my information-she aggressively asked them for status updates and eventually called me over to tell me that I was cleared to enter the United States of America.
    If it were not for a responsible officer with a kick ass attitude, it could have been for a lot longer whilst incompetence held sway.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    As borne out by this from his facebook page.

If it were not for a responsible officer with a kick ass attitude, it could have been for a lot longer whilst incompetence held sway.
    I would have been very angry if it were me
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Exactly, Hassan the police Chief of Greenville was on a list. No doubt John, Smith and Frank were on there as well.

Not a big deal, till it happens to you. BTW, In wonder if the name "McVeigh" is on that list?
    “What better way for a ruling class to claim and hold power than to pose as the defenders of the nation.” Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Not a big deal, till it happens to you. BTW, In wonder if the name "McVeigh" is on that list?
    When we flew from London to JFK we had to wait for about one hour before getting to customs.
    I do not see how a 1 1/2 hour delay such a big deal when your have is on a list.

If it happens a second time I would complain but not the first time.
    Last edited by genglandoh; 03-21-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Check with my wife about the time

There is a big difference between waiting an hour to see the customs and immigration officer, and being hauled into a back room by the officer, asked a whole bunch of questions most of which you can't answer (because they are aimed at someone else), and then being ignored for an hour.