Thread: Irish gandelow - free plans for the 15-foot version now published

Default Irish gandelow - free plans for the 15-foot version now published

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post to let you know that (at last) I've published a first version of the plans for the 15-foot Irish gandelow.

They are free and can be downloaded by clicking the link on my gandelow blog page here:
    http://www.beautement.com/Boats/15-f..._gandelow.html

Please let me know if you see any mistakes. I also welcome suggestions!
    Best wishes, Patrick

PS: The direct link to the PDF of the plans (3MB) is here:
    http://www.beautement.com/Boats/15-f...ds_A3-size.pdf

Here's one of the the 23-foot ones under construction in 2014.

Default Re: Irish gandelow - free plans for the 15-foot version now published

Cool, just downloaded them. Thanks! She's a pretty little vessel. I like the shape in the transom... looks like it will take a following sea well. I think I read about these on the Shannon in WoodenBoat Magazine a while ago.

Hi All,
    Please note that the plans have been updated to version 1-3. Go to:
    http://www.beautement.com/Boats/15-f..._gandelow.html

Best wishes, Patrick

Ooops - duplicate threads, will copy over and close one?

PS: Or use this direct link to the PDF of the plans (4MB) here:
    http://www.beautement.com/Boats/15-f...ds_A3-size.pdf

Last edited by pbeautement; 04-24-2017 at 04:20 PM.

What a solid little vessel that looks to be. Do you think very sea worthy in swells and chop?

Thanks, that's an interesting build.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallygoots View Post
    What a solid little vessel that looks to be. Do you think very sea worthy in swells and chop?
    The 23-foot version has been used on the Shannon estuary on the west coast of Ireland for centuries. The estuary is open to the Atlantic and takes the full force of the strong winds from the west. So the boat's form has evolved to cope with that - especially the double-ended garboard with the butterfly plank above forming a transom which projects above following seas.

Now, as to your good question. Whether the 15-foot version will perform as well as the longer one is yet to be seen! My Irish friends tell me the shorter gandelow were rarely made and usually only for the lakes.

I will be taking mine onto the sea of the south-west of Ireland (near the Fastnet Rock and Roaringwater bay - a clue there!) for the Glandore Regatta (which has a sheltered harbour) and will let you know how we get on - will be fun! I expect the boat will bob over the waves more as it is shorter, whether that makes it pitch too much we'll see?

Thanks, Patrick

To me that looks to be pretty much an ideal boat for estuaries and other shallow yet not entirely protected waters.

The underwater body looks pretty similar to a "beilisträ", a local type used on the shallow bays and the extensive deltaland that once was in Kronoby in Österbotten. They looked like a gandalow minus the transom.
    The boatbuilders of Kronoby and the boatbuilders around the Shannon estuary arrived at essentially the same solution to the same problem so I bet it will prove to be a good one!
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Quote Originally Posted by heimlaga View Post
    To me that looks to be pretty much an ideal boat for estuaries and other shallow yet not entirely protected waters.
    ><snip> The boatbuilders of Kronoby and the boatbuilders around the Shannon estuary arrived at essentially the same solution to the same problem so I bet it will prove to be a good one!
    And I've heard from the USA of a 'gundalow' that is very similar too for the estuaries and creeks there.