X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Hunter
    • Jun 2004

I think the advertising has gone off the rails

This is a cut and past from the bottom of my page:

Is it possible to do something about this?
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter
  • Jim Mahan
    me 𑀩 thinking
    • Mar 2006

Re: I think the advertising has gone off the rails

The adblocker I got following the recommendation by Donn works perfectly. I can't even see the ad in your post, just an empty rectangle. uBlock Origin. It's free, too.

Comment

• wizbang 13
      • Oct 2009

I was getting an add to take the Trump survey.
      Also, 5 face masks for ten bux. The kind folks use for robbing banks.

Hey, Hitler invented all kinds of cool stuff.

Comment

• johnw
        • Nov 2001

Personally, I just let the ads be. If the income supports the forum, that's fine by me. I'll even click on one now and then.

The problem with the ads is that the software can't tell which material is appropriate, and humans don't get involved unless things go pear shaped.
        On the trailing edge of technology.

https://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-John-L.../dp/B07LC6Y934

http://www.scribd.com/johnmwatkins/documents

http://booksellersvsbestsellers.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Chris Smith porter maine
          • Feb 2008

All I get is telescopes and plumbing suppliers.

Comment

• Hugh Conway
            Banned
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by johnw
            Personally, I just let the ads be. If the income supports the forum, that's fine by me. I'll even click on one now and then.
            Too many infected ads out there https://arstechnica.com/security/201...to-ransomware/ to bother living without an adblocker.

Comment

• Rich Jones
              What boat to build next?
              • Apr 2009

I don't get nuthin'...thank God. I guess my Adblock is working overtime.
              I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
              Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• StevenBauer
                LPBC member
                • Jan 2000

The ads are targeted by your browser history. That's why we all see different ads.

I haven't added an ad blocker yet, but I think I might.

Comment

• Chip-skiff
                  Wolves Without Borders
                  • Jan 2008

I'm guessing that the ads are picked by some insidious algorithm that uses your history of internet searches. The ones I get are either for boats or investment schemes.

I never click on anything that pops up without my asking.

Comment

• delecta
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2007

When I click on a link to the LA Times it prevents me from reading it unless I unblock their site from ads, is that next?

Comment

• Jim Mahan
                      me 𑀩 thinking
                      • Mar 2006

Before I found alternatives to google everywhere I went that had ads, the ads were for the things for which I had already searched. When I kicked google to the curb, and purged my system of it, the nature of the ads became random. Clever how they engineered the main search engine everyone is now dependent on, as if they were just providing a necessary service for free, when all along it was designed to be a marketing technique. The two things that make it problematic, one, that a lot of the time I use do a search I'm not interested in buying any product or service; I'm just doing basic research for my own use, and two, if my search was for something I intended to purchase, I probably already have—and never will again, ever, so trying to sell me another is pointless.

A benefit of having ad-free WoodenBoat forum switch to having ads, is that it prompted me to go find other ad-free sites for all the other reasons I go to the internet. I have never, not once ever, clicked on an ad on any website or in any email. And I never will. I also don't visit a car dealer or a furniture store hoping they can help me buy other stuff, too, like a book I've already read.

Comment

• David G
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by delecta
                        When I click on a link to the LA Times it prevents me from reading it unless I unblock their site from ads, is that next?
                        Ayup - it's apparently called 'whitelisting'. Providing specific exceptions to let your adblock software that ads from THAT site are ok. Some sites these days won't let you view them without doing that.
                        David G
                        Harbor Woodworks
                        https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• ron ll
                          Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
                          • Oct 2005

My ad blocker works on my desktop but not on my iPhone. The ads I see on the iPhone are very specific to me, almost always something I searched for on google. I understand the need for the revenue, but these strike me as a personal privacy invasion. My wife doesn't log in here, but think of a situation where Paul searches google for a gift for Kat and she logs in and sees the ad. He could be in big trouble.

Comment

• Garret
                            Hills of Vermont
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ron ll
                            My ad blocker works on my desktop but not on my iPhone. The ads I see on the iPhone are very specific to me, almost always something I searched for on google. I understand the need for the revenue, but these strike me as a personal privacy invasion. My wife doesn't log in here, but think of a situation where Paul searches google for a gift for Kat and she logs in and sees the ad. He could be in big trouble.
                            Searching for a gift on the interwebs is now a thing of the past for anyone who has a confuser that might be seen by the giftee. Most pages are filled with them. This past Christmas I searched for one of those tabletop alcohol "fireplaces". Found one, but every page I went to for a month had ads for them.
                            "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• Breakaway
                              • Mar 2007

I think the advertising has gone off the rails

The ads would be served based on our individual browsing habits, but also by input about our assumed demographics: white, middle age male; good income; boats; DIY.

That doesn't mean we'd only see ads for expensive fixer upper boats; we could be served ads targeting just one of those profile characteristics: retirement ; golf communities; flannel shirts.

Kevin

Edit: clicked send too soon.
                              These ads are part of a so-called, "programmatic," system. Much like NASDAQ, ads are continuously bid, bought and placed by computer programs. At any given minute tens of thousands of transactions are occurring. So, depending upon current ad inventory, and " appropriate ," places to serve them that are available , it can seem that what shows up is sort of random.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              Last edited by Breakaway; 03-19-2017, 04:53 PM.
                              There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

Working...