Thread: Fuller Counter Sink Sharpening

Default Fuller Counter Sink Sharpening

Does anyone know of a sharpening service or technique for sharpening not only the tapered drill bits but the counterbores and plug cutters as well? After boring thousands of holes and cutting thousands of plugs mine could use a good sharpening.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Fuller Counter Sink Sharpening

I normally break the tapered bits before they need sharpening.
    The countersink gets slid backwards on to the butt end of the bit to expose the teeth,then the bit is clamped in the vise,and the countersink is filed one tooth at a time.
    The plug cutter,chucked into the drill press,gets carefully fed down onto an old oil stone to joint( even up) the teeth, then upside down in the vise it gets filed like the countersink.
    A satisfying five minute job.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

I use the little credit card size diamond stones to sharpen the plug cutters and counter sinks. The bits I just replace. If you don't have a set of these they are well worth buying. Incredibly handy for many sharpening tasks:

I think I paid about $25 for the set.

I use my water stones and work in a figure 8 on each of the facets taking care not to grind off the skin on my finger tips.
    It takes a while to get used to this fine hand work but, it can be done. The plug cutters can be done by hand with a narrow India file shaped slip Stone.
    Jay If you have a lot of counter bores and cutters, a saw shop can sharpen them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    I normally break the tapered bits before they need sharpening.
    The countersink gets slid backwards on to the butt end of the bit to expose the teeth,then the bit is clamped in the vise,and the countersink is filed one tooth at a time.
    The plug cutter,chucked into the drill press,gets carefully fed down onto an old oil stone to joint( even up) the teeth, then upside down in the vise it gets filed like the countersink.
    A satisfying five minute job.
    R
    Yup, easy peasy.
    Steve Martinsen

Thanks everyone, I kind of figured it was straightforward. Pitching the bits makes sense as they are the least expensive and hardest to do something with. I like the credit card files - I can think of lots of uses for those.