Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: France is becoming and armed camp.

Default Re: France is becoming and armed camp.

I fly all the time. I see cops with autos at many of my domestic airports I'm assigned to fly too.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I wonder why Graham is fixated on France?

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...d-States/Crime
    I think what it boils down to - with most of these sorts of geng-threads - is that he read or saw something, from some ideologically-driven spin-site (Breitbart, Newsmax, Fox, The Blaze, infowars, etc.) that he is mimicking. He is ahistorical enough, and provincial enough, so that he has no context to guide him.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    I fly all the time. I see cops with autos at many of my domestic airports I'm assigned to fly too.
    You may have seen police with semi-automatic pistols but not automatic rifles like the ones the Military uses.

The point of this thread is that France is putting Troops on the streets because the level of terror attacks is very high.

I'd feel safer in France than the US.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    You may have seen police with semi-automatic pistols but not automatic rifles like the ones the Military uses.

The point of this thread is that France is putting Troops on the streets because the level of terror attacks is very high.
    1. No. Police with military-issue automatic long guns. If you haven't noticed them in the U.S., you're not paying attention.

2. France is defending itself. Whether the terror threat justifies it is less clear. It is certainly not "an armed camp". My daughter lives there. She does not notice what you claim.

But what's your real point?

Perhaps that the world is scary and awful, as painted so vividly by our President, so a military-class clampdown is what the U.S. needs? That seems at odds with your implied disapproval of France's defenses.

Perhaps to report that the rest of the world is chaotic and evil, so we should close the America First doors?

Really, the scary brown people aren't as scary as our Scaredy Cat in Chief says.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I think what it boils down to - with most of these sorts of geng-threads - is that he read or saw something, from some ideologically-driven spin-site (Breitbart, Newsmax, Fox, The Blaze, infowars, etc.) that he is mimicking. He is ahistorical enough, and provincial enough, so that he has no context to guide him.

Actually, if you go back to post #1, you'll see that he started with this piece from The Guardian.

We must be having a salutory effect and broadening his sources.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default France is becoming and armed camp.

But the point is that that is what France does. And has for close to 4 decades. It is a tactic that has proved to be effective for them. France has had a LOT more experience with terrorism than the US has ever had.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ents_in_France

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_France

Here's a map of terrorism incidents in France since 1970

Here's a chart showing deaths in France due to terrorism since 1970.

You might note the giant spike on the right for 2016.

If you think our massive overreaction to the 2001 attacks was justified, you might reconsider your thoughts on the French reaction to the last couple of years.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Actually, if you go back to post #1, you'll see that he started with this piece from The Guardian.

We must be having a salutory effect and broadening his sources.
    Good to know, and thanks. I don't read his stuff... only see what someone quotes.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I know the difference.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

And poor little Pepe didn't see it coming!

Keep in mind that terrorism has been around in Europe for a good while.Since WW2 we have had the Red Brigade,Baader-Meinhof and the IRA,not to mention a few others.I haven't checked the numbers killed or injured but would strongly suspect rather fewer than have perished courtesy of those exercising their second amendment rights.Or aren't they terrorists?

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Keep in mind that terrorism has been around in Europe for a good while.Since WW2 we have had the Red Brigade,Baader-Meinhof and the IRA,not to mention a few others.I haven't checked the numbers killed or injured but would strongly suspect rather fewer than have perished courtesy of those exercising their second amendment rights.Or aren't they terrorists?
    That is probably why some forumites and other Americans are bricking it. We have lived with all of those, whilst the US only remembers McVeigh and 9/11.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

HEY reds! Never forget this, "Be afraid, be very afraid. You're of no use to us unless you're very afraid."

LMAO
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Data doesn't work for the alt-fact crowd.

Thanks for filling in for my idleness Keith.Would it be too much for somebody to find an equivalent graph for Americans shot at home?

unsupportable...
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Would it be too much for somebody to find an equivalent graph for Americans shot at home?
    Isn't there a federal law against collecting those statistics?

incomprehensible...
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    incomprehensible...

Not really.Just an aspect of terrorism the ammosexuals don't like to acknowledge.

Thanks for filling in for my idleness Keith.Would it be too much for somebody to find an equivalent graph for Americans shot at home?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Which compares with:
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Richard Feynman