Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: France is becoming an armed camp.

Default Re: France is becoming an armed camp.

Originally Posted by genglandoh
    The point of this thread was to explain to people the troop levels in France has increased a lot due to the recent Terror attacks.
    Let us contrast and compare.
    Europe puts more police on its streets at potential vulnerable locations so as to be ready.
    The US goes to what turns out to be an unjustified war that really screws up Europe and the ME, and enacts legislation eroding the civil liberties of is citizens and tourists.

Where would you prefer to visit?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

France, I'd be less likely to be shot by a cop.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    I have to call BS on this one.
    I have visited Atlanta 3 times this year and traveled thru the Airport making connection 2 other times.
    So I have been in the Airport 8 times just this year.
    I have NEVER seen a single Automatic Weapon in the Atlanta Airport.
    I'm there roughly 230 days a year. I'm pretty sure my experience with that airport exceeds yours. International terminal security has them posted often.
    Tom

And yet France still has one third the violent crime per capita that Ohio has.

Anyway, speaking of horribly witless.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-d...-the-world/amp

Why Is Donald Trump Still So Horribly Witless About the World?

Robin WrightAugust 4, 2017 2:53 PM

Max Boot, a lifelong conservative who advised three Republican Presidential candidates on foreign policy, keeps a folder labelled “Trump Stupidity File” on his computer. It’s next to his “Trump Lies” file. “Not sure which is larger at this point,” he told me this week. “It’s neck-and-neck.”

Six months into the Trump era, foreign-policy officials from eight past Administrations told me they are aghast that the President is still so witless about the world. “He seems as clueless today as he was on January 20th,” Boot, who is now a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, said. Trump’s painful public gaffes, they warn, indicate that he’s not reading, retaining, or listening to his Presidential briefings. And the newbie excuse no longer flies.

“Trump has an appalling ignorance of the current world, of history, of previous American engagement, of what former Presidents thought and did,” Geoffrey Kemp, who worked at the Pentagon during the Ford Administration and at the National Security Council during the Reagan Administration, reflected. “He has an almost studious rejection of the type of in-depth knowledge that virtually all of his predecessors eventually gained or had views on.”
    Trump’s policy mistakes, large and small, are taking a toll. “American leadership in the world—how do I phrase this, it’s so obvious, but apparently not to him—is critical to our success, and it depends eighty per cent on the credibility of the President’s word,” John McLaughlin, who worked at the C.I.A. under seven Presidents, from Richard Nixon to George W. Bush, and ended up as the intelligence agency’s acting director, told me. “Trump thinks having a piece of chocolate cake at Mar-a-Lago bought him a relationship with Xi Jinping. He came in as the least prepared President we’ve had on foreign policy," McLaughlin added. “Our leadership in the world is slipping away. It’s slipping through our hands.”
    Last edited by LeeG; 08-08-2017 at 07:52 AM.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    If you'd restrict all your negative commentaries to the USA, you will find acceptance and peace in the Bilge. They like to flog themselves in a self-cleansing ritual here... it's an old white guy thing.
    You could be right Brian. Skyblue might tag it virtue signaling.

Or, it could be this simple: our friend genglandoh wants to convince us France is behaving abnormally extraordinarily because of the Evil Scary Brown Islamic People (ESBIPs). He has created many threads about chaos and violence in Europe caused by ESBIPs.

His insistence that the U.S. is different is necessary to "prove" that ESBIPs ruined France and will ruin us too if we don't stop them. It also "proves" we're better and safer, despite the facts. Paradoxically, it also provides justification for the U.S. becoming an armed camp too to stop the ESBIPs.

It supports a narrative like our President's, who misquoted and lied about the mayor of London's reassurances that the police presence was strong and necessary in the wake of a tragic but rather inconsequential terror attack. ESBIPs bad, hating ESBIPs good, extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures. Control. The way things used to be. Crackdown. Punishment. Fear. Run. Hide. Hate.

It's quite a stew of fear and demonization (of France, ESBIPs, Europe, those who don't see the truth). What a way to live!

Default Re: France is becoming and armed camp.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Scot - are you sure that inflicting upon the WBF repeated, egregious, partisan-inspired ignorance shouldn't be considered rude behavior?
    Carefull G, you'll get yourself sent to banned camp

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Or, it could be this simple: our friend genglandoh wants to convince us France is behaving abnormally extraordinarily because of the Evil Scary Brown Islamic People (ESBIPs). He has created many threads about chaos and violence in Europe caused by ESBIPs.
    Funny Geng hasn't mentioned skin color... why's it always about skin color with liberals?... oh yeah, right, Democrats... old habits die hard I guess.

Why shout when a dog whistle is more effective?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    And yet France still has one third the violent crime per capita that Ohio has.
    A solution presents itself: arm all Ohio law enforcement officers with MP5's!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    A solution presents itself: arm all Ohio law enforcement officers with MP5's!
    Well, yeah!
    The marketing of these weapons is the reason the RWW is so alarmed about this problem. It starts with cold calls to the local law enforcement, implanting the suggestion that they could be safe if they were better armed. Then the campaign moves on to the local news media showing France for example with the assumption that we are not as safe here as a back water European Country like France...

http://www.salon.com/2017/08/07/fcc-...-broadcasting/

Flying out of Minneapolis today.

Armed camp! Armed camp!

Armed camp! Armed camp!
    They totally saw you take that picture. Did you enjoy your cavity search?

It's been too bloody hot in France this summer. Even the terrorists have decided to sit in the shade and wait it out.

Default Re: France is becoming and armed camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    I saw police armed with automatic weapons at the Zurich, Switzerland airport in 1974. Both on the tarmac and inside the terminal.
    Well, I recall what could have been the very first terrorist attack carried out on a taxiing airplane (El Al) anywhere on the planet taking place at Zurich Airport in the late 60´s/early 70´s.

One fallout from this incident was to see London´s Heathrow sealing off the visitor´s terrace over the main terminal building immediately afterwards. In the past, visitors to Heathrow could view aircraft taxiing to and fro at close range, as well as taking off and landing in the distance.

The El Al aircraft had been fired on with an RPG or something of the sort from the visitor´s gallery (terrace) simultaneously as a ground support terrorist group raced towards the El Al airplane in a speeding car and opened fire with AK-47s.

So there was a precedent for the Swiss response.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    It's been too bloody hot in France this summer. Even the terrorists have decided to sit in the shade and wait it out.
    At the same time that it has been unusually cold in Rio de Janeiro this winter (we are down south !), which incidentally has not seen our crime statistics abating in any way.

Armed camp! Armed camp!

Thank you for posting your image and it does show military style weapons.
    In all my years of travelling both in the US and international I have never seen any US airport police with these kinds of weapons.
    When I was in Paris there were troops with automatic machine guns at all of the tourist locations and train stations.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    They totally saw you take that picture. Did you enjoy your cavity search?
    They gave me the skunk eye and let it go.

In all my years of travelling both in the US and international I have never seen any US airport police with these kinds of weapons.
    I see them regularly. Not every trip, but regularly. See the pictures Paul posted months ago.

When I was in Paris there were troops with automatic machine guns at all of the tourist locations and train stations.
    Yet French local police don't usually carry weapons at all.

And our President just lifted the ban on military-style weapons for local police.

What does all this mean? Is President Trump right, that police need more firepower? If our police are more heavily armed, as you might say like the "armed camp of France", is that good or bad? Could our President be wrong by your standards?

Complicated, isn't it?

They gave me the skunk eye and let it go.
    Had the person who eyed - and clicked - them been non-white, their reaction may have been quite different.

Arriving in London in summer 1965 it caused no surprise that local Metropolitan Police did not carry firearms, as was the same in Karachi, although the latter city has over the years attained great heights in matter of 'guns per capita'.

However travelling through France by train in 1967, the local Police were armed with pistols.

And our President just lifted the ban on military-style weapons for local police.

What does all this mean? Is President Trump right, that police need more firepower? If our police are more heavily armed, as you might say like the "armed camp of France", is that good or bad? Could our President be wrong by your standards?

Complicated, isn't it?

So besides the well-armed local population, especially in the gun-free States of the US, the US Police will now catch up with the rest ...an accident waiting to happen.

Not sure if they were "local" police, but in Chinon, we saw two officers with sidearms wearing bullet-proof vests going out on a walking patrol. Didn't see other officers with arms of any kind in France.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Not sure if they were "local" police, but in Chinon, we saw two officers with sidearms wearing bullet-proof vests going out on a walking patrol. Didn't see other officers with arms of any kind in France.
    My next visit to France was in ´78......the traffic police in Paris carried holstered pistols. Besides at the time, Ayatollah Khomeini was being hosted in one of Paris´suburbs and the Iran Air office on Av Champs Elysees had been cordoned off with armed police.

I am known by those close to me to recall 'trivia' like no one else....so in as much as car radio ownership in ´68 could be of general interest, in France one could count the cars without radios.....in Britain, it was just the opposite

Isn't Chinon great? I was there in April.

Armed camp. 🙄

Isn't Chinon great? I was there in April.

Armed camp. 
    Was lovely. Went for the Thursday market and just a nice walk around town. Little snack from the bakery, sightseeing in the medieval part of town, down along the river. Sitting in the sun with a glass of beer at the cafe. Ahhh... Didn't head up to the castle, but would like to some time in the future.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

So many choices. We loved poking around town, and spent a nice morning in the castle. Daughter the Younger is an art history major in Paris, focusing on medieval art. Our own personal guide to art, architecture, history....

I have to admit that I did see policemen with guns in holsters in France last week.Its always a shock to see instruments of death in a town and also a shock to see policemen with sidearms.They happened to drive into a car park where there was a gathering of classic cars and after a brief look round they drove off.I don't believe anybody was shot in France last week,how about Ohio?

Daughter the Younger is an art history major in Paris
    How art history is correctly done!

Friends have just come home from a month away in Europe, flew into England from here, short flight into the Netherlands, and wandered slowly down through Belgium into France, spent their last week staying near the airport at Orly, and walking around seeing the sights, mainly in the historical part of Paris but did take a taxi tour of some of the suburbs.
    Note that our police here are not armed unless in special circumstances, so the sight of armed police grabs our eye. My friends, when asked if there were an unusual amount of weaponry on display during their trip, said "not really, not like the police in LA where they stayed for a couple of days on their way home.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    ...,how about Ohio?
    High School shooting/standoff in Columbus. Pretty much one or more a day in Columbus alone.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    France, I'd be less likely to be shot by a cop.
    On our recent trip to the US....we spoke to Policemen on at least a dozen occasions.
    They were always invariably polite and helpful.
    All armed, but their weapons remained in the holster and we never once felt likely to be SHOT.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

its always wierd when you come from a country where the Police are not armed (Ireland) to see real guns in holsdters.
    the first time i saw a cop in Sydney with one i was lost. I was too intimidated to ask for directions.

i do recall the police in Heathrow during the troubles, armed to the teeth with machine guns and bullet proof everything. looked more like fururistic soldiers than cops.

the Gendarmes are a tough lot though, they wouldn't shy away from a fight.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

How do you folks distinguish between machine guns and semi-automatics, they look identical?
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Caution would indicate that if it looks like on, it is. And to inexperienced eyes likely they all d.
    Police in Victoria carry a pistol. I understand but I don't like it much. It's a barrier between them and us I feel, but maybe younger persons are more used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    How do you folks distinguish between machine guns and semi-automatics, they look identical?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Identical? Some are, some look quite different.

In America I assume a police officer carrying a long gun has a semi automatic weapon. Some cops, from some municipalities, might be armed with some automatic weapons for some purposes, like SWAT.

Google says the French National Police carry a Mousqueton AMD which is a licensed version of a Ruger Mini-14, and it can be used in single, SA, and FA mode. You also see members of the military in fatigues and armored vests at train stations, airports and national monuments carrying fully automatic weapons.

when you see a cop in europe carrying an MP5 its a safe bet its an automatic weapon

What a shame that France is moving more and more into a police state.

Title: France approves tough new anti-terror laws
    The law will incorporate several measures first authorised under the emergency arrangement.
    They include easier searches of homes and confining individuals to their home towns, without judicial approval.
    Link: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41493707
    Meanwhile : Las Vegas skips over France to become a war zone.
    -William A. Ward