Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: White girl, take off your hoops

Default White girl, take off your hoops

From "eyebrow culture" to earrings, social justice marches on.

A wall on the side of a dormitory at Pitzer College devoted to unmoderated free speech through art (colloquially named “the free wall”), was recently painted by a group of Latino students who wrote the message, “White Girl, take off your [hoop earrings]!!!”

When one white student expressed confusion about the message, Alegria Martinez (PZ ’18) – a Pitzer College Resident Assistant (RA) and active member of the “Latinx Student Union” – responded in an email thread sent to the entire student body: “[T]he art was created by myself and a few other WOC [women of color] after being tired and annoyed with the reoccuring [sic] theme of white women appropriating styles … that belong to the black and brown folks who created the culture. The culture actually comes from a historical background of oppression and exclusion. The black and brown bodies who typically wear hooped earrings, (and other accessories like winged eyeliner, gold name plate necklaces, etc) are typically viewed as ghetto, and are not taken seriously by others in their daily lives. Because of this, I see our winged eyeliner, lined lips, and big hoop earrings serving as symbols [and] as an everyday act of resistance, especially here at the Claremont Colleges. Meanwhile we wonder, why should white girls be able to take part in this culture (wearing hoop earrings just being one case of it) and be seen as cute/aesthetic/ethnic. White people have actually exploited the culture and made it into fashion.”

http://claremontindependent.com/pitz...hoop-earrings/

". . . why should white girls be able to take part in this culture . . ."

I call on liberals to condemn this without reservation, and not merely as silly.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    The Lord was not pleased with what was happening to the Hammonds. -- Ammon Bundy

Default Re: White girl, take off your hoops

any other color exploited such culture in such an exclusionary way?
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Silly? I'd direct that term toward your outrage.
    Last edited by Chris Coose; 03-17-2017 at 07:03 PM.
    Study Peace

18 to 20 year olds are so damn righteous. I was sickening at that age too. I grew out of it.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    18 to 20 year olds are so damn righteous. I was sickening at that age too. I grew out of it.
    Indeed they are.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

So many sorts of dumb.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post
    Silly? I'd direct that term toward your outrage.
    You propose this should be indulged, why?
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    The Lord was not pleased with what was happening to the Hammonds. -- Ammon Bundy

Get a life.

You people really want to argue over what some dumb-@ss kids think?

I know I *should* care- but I don't. Suffering 'outrage fatigue'.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    If we were talking about a white someone wearing a rastacap & dreadlocks, you might be on to something. Hoop earrings are hardly a cultural icon, they are found as far back as Assyria, the Greeks and Romans had them too. And don't forget pirates.
    Nosce te ipsum

There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    You people really want to argue over what some dumb-@ss kids think?
    If you can't bring yourself to condemn ignorant bigotry now, perhaps an appeal to self-interest . . .

Publicly funded universities to turn out tomorrow's leaders.

How many times you want to get beat by the likes of Trump? How did he attract all that support, hm.

You people need me to draw you a picture?

Some white girl will go to some college. She will wear a sombrero on halloween and be reprimanded. She will wear hoop earrings and be reprimanded. The rabble will prevent her going to class on the ground that the university promotes her "privilege". She will remember the sting for life.

She will be the "Alt Right" and she ain't no gap tooth hillbilly. Full of youth, energy, and purpose. Educated and politically involved. Ultimately, an office holder with the support of a national party and giant money.

Simple case of action/reaction. Meanwhile you search for support among those making daily rebellion with their earrings and eyebrows.

If you people can't get with the principle or the self-interest, you're done.

From "eyebrow culture" to earrings, social justice marches on.

". . . why should white girls be able to take part in this culture . . ."

I call on liberals to condemn this without reservation, and not merely as silly.
    As a Buccaneer American, I object to these women appropriating the hoop earrings that have always symbolized the culture of piracy. Who do they think they are, Anne Bonney?

If you can't bring yourself to condemn ignorant bigotry now, perhaps an appeal to self-interest . . .
    I think you're a little over the top. Teenagers will act stupidly. Adults need to tell them so and will often be ignored. It's no deeper than that. From what I've seen, the younger people are headed in a very good direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    If we were talking about a white someone wearing a rastacap & dreadlocks, you might be on to something. Hoop earrings are hardly a cultural icon, they are found as far back as Assyria, the Greeks and Romans had them too. And don't forget pirates.
    So, this particular bit of bigotry is ignorant, and so should not be indulged? It would be different if they were a cultural icon?

I'll wear what I like and the world can F off.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I think you're a little over the top. Teenagers will act stupidly. Adults need to tell them so and will often be ignored. It's no deeper than that. From what I've seen, the younger people are headed in a very good direction.
    Who's President? Attorney General? Secretary of State? Secretary of the EPA, HUD, DE? Speaker of the House?

Is it because younger people twenty years ago were headed in a very good direction?

You sound very much like "boys will be boys" as they drive around drinking beer in the back of a pickup flying the Confederate flag. "Teenagers . . . no deeper than that."

Who's President? Attorney General? Secretary of State? Secretary of the EPA, HUD, DE? Speaker of the House?

Is it because younger people twenty years ago were headed in a very good direction?
    I didn't say the young people were all that great 20 years ago. I don't even think much of my own generation 50 years ago.

You sound very much like "boys will be boys" as they drive around drinking beer in the back of a pickup flying the Confederate flag. "Teenagers . . . no deeper than that."
    I never said any of that. You are being a bit hysterical.

Cultural

Not Cultural

I wonder, are they mad at Asian women that wear hoops?

Everyone should wear what they want, just be aware, you may look like a tool if you do.
    Nosce te ipsum

I keep quiet at the dinner table. Kids know nothing. I set them straight when they dredge up heroshima and Nagasaki and the few other America hating themes. I tell them what the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire was but generally I let the kids blather on. Kids know absolutely nothing.

It's fashion. Most young women in particular are prone to it, and just as well. It's a HUUGHE industry.

"This report examines the impact of the fashion industry on the U.S. economy. In 2015 alone, consumers spent nearly $380 billion on apparel and footwear. The industry, which encompasses everything from textile and apparel brands to wholesalers, importers and retailers, employs more than 1.8 million people in the United States.It relies on workers in a wide range of occupations, including fashion designers, market research analysts, computer systems developers, patternmakers, sewing machine operators and wholesale buyers."

https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/democrats/reports1?ID=034A47B7-D82A-4509-A75B-00522C863653

once again false morality rises
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

I'll condemn it without reservation, although whether it's merely extremely silly or something worse is debatable. In fact, about 90% of the 'cultural appropriation' stuff is total and complete bullsh!t. One central way human cultures get better is to pick up good ideas from other folks. Might as well ask the Irish to give the potatoes back to the Peruvians.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Might as well ask the Irish to give the potatoes back to the Peruvians.
    Jasus, for a minute there I thought you said "the Presbyterians."

You ought to exercise due care around persons who have a few drinks taken.
    If you welcome devils to your house, then you must feed them Afghan proverb.

When I read white girl and hoops, guess what popped into my mind:

If you welcome devils to your house, then you must feed them Afghan proverb.

No, ignored. It is a part of her growing up. It will pass.
    If she were black should she be condemned for wearing a bra? That symbol of white woman's culture.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Publicly funded universities to turn out tomorrow's leaders.

How many times you want to get beat by the likes of Trump? How did he attract all that support, hm.

You people need me to draw you a picture?

Some white girl will go to some college. She will wear a sombrero on halloween and be reprimanded. She will wear hoop earrings and be reprimanded. The rabble will prevent her going to class on the ground that the university promotes her "privilege". She will remember the sting for life.

She will be the "Alt Right" and she ain't no gap tooth hillbilly. Full of youth, energy, and purpose. Educated and politically involved. Ultimately, an office holder with the support of a national party and giant money.

Simple case of action/reaction. Meanwhile you search for support among those making daily rebellion with their earrings and eyebrows.

If you people can't get with the principle or the self-interest, you're done.
    University's turn out tomorrows thinkers. Thinking takes practice, and sometimes when you start out you get it wrong.
    You should never condemn someone for thinking when thinking is what you send them to Uni to learn.

Kieth beat me to it

I'll condemn it without reservation, although whether it's merely extremely silly or something worse is debatable. In fact, about 90% of the 'cultural appropriation' stuff is total and complete bullsh!t. One central way human cultures get better is to pick up good ideas from other folks. Might as well ask the Irish to give the potatoes back to the Peruvians.
    Another +1
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I'd condemn it, it's not silly. There is an idea that we should not borrow from each others fashion, or culture. That we should exclude people, and not learn from them, and not let them participate in our lives. It's a really bad idea. This is a small, silly example but it's still a small silly example of something bad.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

Dang, there go the tats too. Wait, which group only gets to wear tats?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin2 View Post
    Polynesians, I think. That's why it became a fashion among sailors in the old days, and then spread.

Hey, wait a minute- is this 'cultural appropriation' too?

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

+ another 1. It is just racism.

Those danged ancient Greeks stole it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin2 View Post
    Otze was first, but those were for medical reasons.

If you think I am giving up curry and the occasional Chinese, you can think again.