Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: Joining The Norwegian Coastal Federation Bodø

Default Re: Joining The Norwegian Coastal Federation Bodø

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    The rudder on Nordlandsboats are connected with an arm we call rortunga (rudder tounge) We are making new rudder and tiller and making the rortunga of a grown birch hook. -8 celsius in Bodø today, but we keep warm working with hand tools. We also have a heated room where we drink coffe, so another great evening with the smell of wood and tar

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
    Is this the arm that comes out at a right angle from the top of the rudder? Haven't seen that design before.
    The pin goes through the hole in the rudder and the tiller pole attaches in the slot?
    If that's right, it looks like a smaller connection than I would have thought necessary to turn the rudder when sailing at speed. Does that mean there is not a lot of press on the rudder? Or just that it is stronger than it looks?

You are right about what it is. This is for the 21 ft Åfjordsboat. The åttring has a larger one. To be honest its 5 cm shorter than the original. The simple reason is that my chainsaw got to greedy while cutting it from a larger piece 😁 The preassure on the rudder is no problem on this small boat. We decided to call it a racing-rudder-tounge 😂

How is the pin (tappen) fastened on the other side of the hole through the rudder? A plate with a forked notch or a plugg through a hole in the pin ( altså, en klemme rundt tappen eller en lås gjennom tappen.)
    I'm curious about support so the arm doesn't move around in the hole through the rudder.

I might post about that next tuesday, as I will make it then, but yes, its a vedge thru a hole, and it makes a steady connnection. (kile gjennom et hull i tappen på andre sia)

In the late 1800 a new design for a fishing wessel was designed and buildt in Bodø, called Bodø-båten. The goal was to have a safer boat and more efficient boat than the Nordlandsboats. There were buildt around 30 boats of this type in Bodø, but then the motor boats came and took over, so it had a short era. There are no boats left of this design. The boat is around 40 ft. long lapstrake buildt.

We hope to get a boat like this buildt one day!

Bodøbåten.jpg

Sweet! Appears to have been inspired by the English Cutters that were imported to Norway around that time.

You might be right Lagspiller, but they used lapstrake, that was the known building method. But I hear some were made carvel too...

Here is another photo of Bodøbåten ready to be launched at Bodø shipyard around year 1900. We have started a project and hope to get finaces to build Bodøbåten. We will need sponsors and public support, so its not guarantied she will be buildt yet. If the project gets going, all will be documented and shared on social media, and youtube,,, and ofcourse WBF :-)

Bodøbåten2.jpg

One more evening in the costal federation boatshed. Rudder asembly for the Åfjordboat almost complete. The "rudder-tounge is roughly shaped for several reason. The old one had a rough finish, Birch is hard to get smooth with hand tools, and we did not feel like shaping with power tool for this 100 year old boat. Also working on a birch hook for a new oarlock. We also glued some parts for some wooden blocks for the Åfjordboat.

Good job! Looks great!
    Haven't seen keip in birch before, but its reasonable when I think about it. Not a lot of oak growing in Bødo.

I think the original was made of spruce. Birch is not wery rot resistant, but used as "keip" and only treated with oil and tar, I guess they will hold some years. But I will collect some new hooks to have some replacement.

Its coming along well Fred. Enjoyable days in the boathouse I'm sure.

Take care - Gary

Spring getting closer, and I must share some summer memories from the westfjord-regatta Lofoten last year:

20180629_154333.jpg

Love it. Thanks

Me too
    Boat Designer. Boatbuilder

Turning pulleys for wooden blocks today, on the drillpress. Other interesting thing is also happening in our group. A beautiful pram is getting a new bottom strake. Gary you might recognize the pram?

Last edited by Fredostli; 02-20-2019 at 03:00 AM.

Which wood are your pulley sheaves made from...looks like oak?

Yes its oak. A bit hard to turn, but looks solid when done. We will soak it well in linseed oil. I made a bearing with a 10 mm copper pipe, and I have some brass 8 mm rods that fit inside the pipe for axle. Next time we continue with shaping the blocks. They will be rope stropped. I have made one block before. This one is with birk cheeks, but we decided we will make them with oak cheeks.

20181208_163954.jpg
    Last edited by Fredostli; 02-20-2019 at 05:57 AM.

Wonderful!

Nice work on the pulley. Yes - I remember the pram up against the wall. When you get the pram repaired, I'll provide you my shipping address :^)
    Would love to see it when you're finished.

Another cold week in Montana - Gary

We have cut some material for oars on my bandsaw mill today. The spruce logs was cut in the center and will be roughly shaped already in a week. Thus way we prevent cracking. One pair of each log. You also see a åttring mast candidate in the background, as we consider making a square rig for the Åttribg in a few years

Last edited by Fredostli; 02-27-2019 at 03:20 AM.

Mounted the rudder on the Åfjordsboat today. My son made the new fittings for us, and we rivited it in place. Here you also see the old plywood rudder.

Nice work! I like that detail on the ends too.
    Ian
    Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

MUCH nicer!

The ends just ruoghly shaped with an angel grinder. Somethin I like about working with theese boats is that they have beautiful lines but also look good with some marks from tools wear etc. They can be maintained with oil and tar, and new parts can be made with an axe and sometimes just a knife :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    Here is another photo of Bodøbåten ready to be launched at Bodø shipyard around year 1900. We have started a project and hope to get finaces to build Bodøbåten. We will need sponsors and public support, so its not guarantied she will be buildt yet. If the project gets going, all will be documented and shared on social media, and youtube,,, and ofcourse WBF :-)

Bodøbåten2.jpg
    Fred,
    If your group needs lines and a construction plan, Christian Nielsen' book; Wooden Boat Designs, Classic Danish Boats Measured, has a chapter on this style cutter with a line drawing and construction side plan. Page 116.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by navydog; 03-01-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Yes, I like that about these boats too. They look very natural.
    Ian
    Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Fred,

If your group needs lines and a construction plan, Christian Nielsen' book; Wooden Boat Designs, Classic Danish Boats Measured, has a chapter on this style cutter with a line drawing and construction side plan. Page 116.
    We have the lines, and documentation, and two profetional builders. just need a lot of money and a plan for maintance 😁

We have learned that oars in solid wood, not laminated, is better made in green wood, so we decided to roughy saw the logs. This will also minimize risk of cracking. With my bandsaw mill, we can customise the cut, so we get the part of the log close to center, and get more stable wood. We also mark them, so a pair of oars is from the same log.

Last edited by Fredostli; 03-03-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Tonight's project vas finishing this keip (oarlock) Made a rope grommet on it too

Made some wooden blocks for the Åfjord faering. We are rigging it for solo sailing, so these are for the jib.

20190307_204531.jpg

Very nice...

What is your boat soup recipe?

tar, raw linseed oil, and terpentine. It waries how much of each but 1/3 of each is a good start.

I thought you might have a cunning Norwegian tweak, departing from the standard mix. I am thinking of adding some rot killer, some tung oil, and less tar; maybe 1/6.

Ah! your asking for some Norwegian secrets? I believe no matter what you use, the point is to fill the pores as much as posible, and stop the water. A thinner soup, will penetrate deeper. I have heard tar also prevent rot, hoping some experts will tell us if I am wrong 😎