Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joining The Norwegian Coastal Federation Bodø

Default Re: Joining The Norwegian Coastal Federation Bodø

Hey Fred. My wife and I will be in Bodo for a few hours in November as part of our cruise. Is the shop accessible in November? Any other sights we shouldn't miss in the short time we have?

Gary Davis

Gary, we meet at the shop to work on the boats each Tuesday, but I also have the key, so it is possible to give you a guided tour in the shop. Do you know how many hours you spend in Bodø, and what time of the day? You can pm me to discuss the options.

Speaking of other sight also depends on the time you have. In November the days are short here. Saltstraumen maelstrom is a popular sight, and a flight museum might interest you too.

Regards Fred

Thanks Fred. I will PM you later.

Here is your ship I guess?. Bodø Harbour

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fredostli; 06-06-2018 at 01:35 AM.

We will be on Polarlys. I assume its similar to the one you pictured.One month before we leave for Denmark.

Thanks Fred.

Gary

Today we removed the aft. part of the keel. Å lot of rot so good thing we have a root member to work on.

Last edited by Fredostli; 10-11-2017 at 01:42 AM.

Work in progres on the aft. keel. We made a scarf today and we take the time to work the piece to fit.

Last edited by Fredostli; 11-15-2017 at 02:54 AM.

fitting the scarfs on the keel and the aft stem first, before we shape the rest of the new aft keel. We are really taking it slowly, and drink a lot of coffe too. The scarf must be adjusted and tested many times to get the right angels and hight. Wery interesting work

Last edited by Fredostli; 11-30-2017 at 04:45 AM.

Good luck with that project Fred. Do let us know how it all turns out.

Gary

More photos from the work going on in the shed. Almost finished with the scarfs on the new keel part. Also photo of one of the members "halvfjerderømming" This boat is more than 100 years old and soon restored. The size of this boat is between the seksring/treroing I have, and the "åttring" we are working on. about 24 feet long.

Started shaping the rabbet.

Excellent work Fredostli, and good on you for keeping these old girls going. Great to see!

Fredostli,
    Really fun to see the boats you are using and maintaining, love it.

I saw someone wanted to research these boats. There is a good book on Classic Danish Boats
    , named Wooden Boat Designs, by Christian Nielson, published by Charles Scribner's Sons. 1980.

Good to see more progress Fred.

Stay warm - Gary

Great thread, wonderful photos! Thank you.

Just for the record, We are a group of 4-5 people working on this boat. I am learning a lot here, but there are moments also my ideas and solutions is accepted as the best way to go. On my other project I am on my own, so joining a group like this is both sosial and useful.

Fred,
    "On my other project I am on my own" What are you building, do you have it posted here?

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Fred,
    "On my other project I am on my own" What are you building, do you have it posted here?

Too many! You are free to look up my threads navydog. But if you like traditional boats I guess this project will interest you most: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...way&highlight=

And my next building project will definetly be trad. lapstrake/no glue, but I need a couple of years finishing other projects :-)

I know you like photos. The Federation shared the boat we work on, on their Facebook site today. I know its much about this boat at the moment, but other boats and projects will get the attention later :-)

Stunning.

A milestone in the restoration on the Åttring today, bolting on the new aft keel member. Yeah I think its enough tar. Next is to replace the first strake in this area. More people than needed today, so part of the time just watching and learning.

Taking a trip to Norway this May. I found the Norwegian Coastal Federation website but couldn't figure out how to find a list of sites and locations. Figuring on a wander from Bergen up to Trondheim to include as much traditional boatbuilding as we can in a week or ten days.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

The federation have local "clubs" and here is a map with some contact information. Maybe send an email and ask around? https://www.kysten.no/kystlagene-kart

I can ask the old guys here if they know sites in this area. How will you travel? car, boat, micro plane?

Ben if you are on Facebook you must look at this https://www.facebook.com/pg/kystensa...=page_internal I would like to go there myself!

They are working together with this museum: https://kystensarv.no/

This is also in your route: http://www.oselvarverkstaden.no/
    Last edited by Fredostli; 02-15-2018 at 02:54 AM.

Sharing a video I havent discovered before. Must be something whith the tags :-)

Combination of slideshow and video. No english translations, but a lot of Nordlandsboats and Åfjordboats in different sizes, and boatbuilding. Enjoy!

Great video. One of the things I want to learn on this trip is more about rigging the sail on my Åfjordsfaering. I mostly worked from the Godal books with the great pictures, but even with a dictionary was hard to read. I think I have the wrong dictionary!
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

Rissa Fosen Folkschool you talked about in the May-thread must be a good plase to start. This is the area of Norway Åfjord boats where buildt. We have an Åfjords 20ft seksring/treroing in the coastal Federation, and I hope to sail it one day.

Do you have Sqare or gaff rig (sneseil) ?

btw. If there is special pages you want me to translate I could try. I have the books...

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    Rissa Fosen Folkschool you talked about in the May-thread must be a good plase to start. This is the area of Norway Åfjord boats where buildt. We have an Åfjords 20ft seksring/treroing in the coastal Federation, and I hope to sail it one day.

Do you have Sqare or gaff rig (sneseil) ?

I have a square which I proportioned using the spars for the faering according to what I found in Godal. I made a "sneseil" from a sail I had for another boat. It is a single sprit sail to which I laced a lug spar to the head and set it on the square sail mast. I put an extra mast step up forward and it works pretty well, lets me sail the boat solo. The shrouds go into the after sail stick holes. Without a jib it is hard to tack as the Åfjordfaering really like to go in a straight line. My boat was built in the Fosen school then came back to Maine in a container with the timber to build a lestabat.
    Ben Fuller

Nice video.
    Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Without a jib it is hard to tack as the Åfjordfaering really like to go in a straight line. My boat was built in the Fosen school then came back to Maine in a container with the timber to build a lestabat.
    Interesting! So you moved the mast forward? I have learned that boats made for sneseil/gaff was buildt wider forward to support the center of gravity. The åttring we work on is buildt for square sail, but the rig was changed at a point in time. My seksring/treroing have a jib but is also hard to tack. I usually need an oar to bring her around, but as I have read, thats expected and acceptable on these boats.

I mounted some cam cleats under a bench (tofte) aft. to easyer controll the jib, and the peak from where I am seated when sailing solo. I found it important to have access to drop the peak fast, for safety. The last trip with the Åttring we had a really good breeze and as "høvedsmann" (captain) I ordered to lower the peak in a jibe. my friend was a bit slow to react so for a second or two I felt we had more than comfortable heeling

Another thing:
    The museum we have here in Bodø (Nordlandsmuseet) have a 60 ft. one masted square rigged wessel buildt in 1876. I dont know what will be the right english term, but here they are called "Jekt" Its now in a shed, but they have started to build a house for it. These boats was used to transport fish and other cargo from Lofoten and south. It is now decided there will be a shed in the same area for the 120 year old åttring we work on, and maybe other smaller boats. This will be a interesting location for everyone interested in old wooden boats and the history around them. It will be finished next year.

Here is a photo of Jekta Anna Karoline:

Best thread on WBF.... I have little to contribute, except adoration of your boats and photographs. Just stunning, thanks.

Here is a teaser for you Ben. Down in this stack of boats you see our 20ft treroing åfjordsboat. I was told today we have a sneseil rig for it, and we hope to sail it in may or june during a sneseil course we are planning. Then I can show details from the rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    Here is a teaser for you Ben. Down in this stack of boats you see our 20ft treroing åfjordsboat. I was told today we have a sneseil rig for it, and we hope to sail it in may or june during a sneseil course we are planning. Then I can show details from the rig.

When I set up the rig in my åfjordsfaering ( which is about the same size as yours as it is a 2 and a half room faering) I looked in the Godal book for sneseil material and made a guess as where to put the mast step. I put it too far aft and had too much weather helm; I moved it forward to the next floorboard I think, and it worked out great. I do need an oar to tack as I have no jib to back and am often sailing solo. But it is much easier than sailing the square solo. The rig that is the easiest is a 7.5 meter standing lug with a boom. I have a 10 m gaff sail for another boat that has its own mast and that works as well, but is harder to set. I did add a bit to the depth of the rudder maybe 20 cm or so.
    Ben Fuller

Be free to share a photo of your boat here if you have. 😉 Whats the beam of your boat Ben?

I don't have any pics of it with the lug. Beam is about 5' with oars that are a little over 10. Boat was built in 1988
    by Jon Etheredge when he was a student at the Folk high school in Risso. He describes it in http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ight=Etheredge, which unfortunately got the pics removed.
    Ben Fuller