Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Joining The Norwegian Coastal Federation Bodø

Started steaming new planking today for the åttring. Here is our steambox: propane container filled with water and heated with a propane torch supply the steam.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fredostli; 06-06-2018 at 01:40 AM.

Enjoying hand planing...

Last edited by Fredostli; 06-06-2018 at 01:40 AM.

Default Re: Joining The Norwegian Coastal Federation Bodø

We are in route to get the åttring on water this season. Some of our retired members, are going to take som extra man-hours in the shop, to get it finished in time for a sailing course in may.

Don't know how I missed this thread, but its really nice. Thanks for the tip, Fred.

Nothing beats the lines on the stem on a Nordlandsboat! The repairs are done and our åttring Hæringen will be on water in two weeks. Next winter we start on other smaller boats we have in the shed.

Today we put our 22 ft Åfjordsboat on the water. Its an old treroing. Now its going to swell, and next week we put up the sneseil (gaff) rig

Last edited by Fredostli; 05-30-2018 at 07:54 AM.

I really like the rudder attachment, so I show you some photos. The rudder is made of plywood, so I think we need to replace it with solid wood.

Slick solution that.
    -Dave

Every tuesday I spend in Bodø with the coastal federation boats. The plan was to sail the åttring today, but we where only two sailors today, so instead we joined a J80 regatta sailboat for the tuesday regatta. It was fun too, but I took this shot of the "fembøring" that was in the harbor. Some asked earlier in the thread if the fembøring used wires or ropes for the stays. I guess the photo gives the answer.

Last edited by Fredostli; 06-06-2018 at 01:29 AM.

Tuesday again, and today we sailed our Åfjordsboat. I post a video later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Great video. One of the things I want to learn on this trip is more about rigging the sail on my Åfjordsfaering. I mostly worked from the Godal books with the great pictures, but even with a dictionary was hard to read. I think I have the wrong dictionary!
    Ben I took some photos of the rig if you are interested I can post them here, and also describe some details. We will do some work on it too to make it better. The boat has not been ysed for some years, but now it will be in the Marina next to the Åttring all summer.

Here is a video of yesterdays sailing:

Fred

Fred,
    Thanks for posting the video. My boat is just a little smaller than yours, a 2 1/2 rom færing with a råseil. I'd really like to find some video on sailing a square sailed small boat. I did pick up the little book Learning to sail open traditional boats. I suppose I can spend the winter translating it as a way to learn Norse!
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

I have done some searches and I think there should be more videos of these boats. Thats why I share all I take myself. If I find some videos like you are looking for I share it here.

Many of the smaller boats have sneseil, because its easier and safer to sail alone

I dont have the book you mentioned, but I might buy it. I can help you with some of the translating if you struggle :-)

Thanks, I really like the idea of this book. Kind of like my old Sea Scout book which I had as a kid. Just what you need and small enough to take along! Next I need to find a small dictionary as it is faster to flip pages than to type a word. But much of the boat vocabulary has English cognates so it isn't so hard.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

Nice video!

Ben... There are a number of videos of sailing with square sails in small boats on the web. For example...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3yoPVOtGmuc
    or try this search string... "segling med råsegl"
    Last edited by lagspiller; 06-19-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lagspiller View Post
    Nice video!

Ben... There are a number of videos of sailing with square sails in small boats on the web. For example...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3yoPVOtGmuc
    or try this search string... "segling med råsegl"
    Thanks, I'll poke around. The video shows something I've not tried, taking the boline to the tack and not using a seilstikke. Makes sense sailing single handed.
    Ben Fuller

The coastal federetion always join the Vestfjord regatta. The federation owns parts in a 49 ft. fembøring and an old fishing cutter. I made a thread to share from this years event, but post a link to my video here too. ��

Last edited by Fredostli; 07-30-2018 at 02:15 AM.

I stopped by "Faxe" at the national meeting of the Costal Federation this last weekend (landstevne) in Haugesund and had a chat with a couple of the guys onboard. Forgot to ask if you were there...
    We had an excellent time. In addition to checking out all the cool boats, we won the rowing contest, did well in the sailing contrst and were chosen to join the boat parade (defilering) on Saturday with our motor seksæring. Boat number 4 in the parade, if you saw it.

Fred,
    Love your pictures, videos and discriptions. Thank you so much. God dag

My photos from our trip to the National meeting of the Coastal Federation in Haugesund, July 2018. Some very nice boats there...
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/nRxpnL7ZJebV5P6N7

My photos from our trip to the National meeting of the Coastal Federation in Haugesund, July 2018. Some very nice boats there...
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/nRxpnL7ZJebV5P6N7
    Nice pictures. Do you know the name of the person that was building the three-strike Oselvar type of boat?

I took my brother and hes family sailing Hæringen in VERY light air. He made this Drone video ��

Last edited by Fredostli; 07-30-2018 at 02:10 AM.

I stopped by "Faxe" at the national meeting of the Costal Federation this last weekend (landstevne) in Haugesund and had a chat with a couple of the guys onboard. Forgot to ask if you were there...
    We had an excellent time. In addition to checking out all the cool boats, we won the rowing contest, did well in the sailing contrst and were chosen to join the boat parade (defilering) on Saturday with our motor seksæring. Boat number 4 in the parade, if you saw it.
    I was not at "landsstevnet" in Haugesund. Maybe next year in Trondheim...

Fred

Fred,
    Slightly on point; what is the formula that you use for the finish on your boats? I know it is some combination of pine tar and oil. Proportions? Other ingrediants?
    Thanks
    Ben Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Faering View Post
    Nice pictures. Do you know the name of the person that was building the three-strike Oselvar type of boat?
    Yes, by coincidence I do. He is the same guy we got to come and instruct us when we built our færings 5-6 years ago. Egil Meland fra Tysnes. He is also the boatbuilder who built the Oselvar for the guys that rowed the entire coast one summer a couple of years ago... Oslo to Honningsvåg in an Oselvar! That's a long row.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Fred,
    Slightly on point; what is the formula that you use for the finish on your boats? I know it is some combination of pine tar and oil. Proportions? Other ingrediants?
    Thanks
    Yes, pine tar, linseed oil and some terpentine ( To make it thinner) It varies a bit how the mix is, but on untreated wood I believe one thurd of each. On the outside, just oil to finish. There is a lot of opinions on this, but this is a common mix on boats made of fir/pine and spruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    Yes, pine tar, linseed oil and some terpentine ( To make it thinner) It varies a bit how the mix is, but on untreated wood I believe one thurd of each. On the outside, just oil to finish. There is a lot of opinions on this, but this is a common mix on boats made of fir/pine and spruce.

About what I've been using on LITEN KUHLING. Are you using raw or boiled linseed oil?
    Ben Fuller

Yes, by coincidence I do. He is the same guy we got to come and instruct us when we built our færings 5-6 years ago. Egil Meland fra Tysnes. He is also the boatbuilder who built the Oselvar for the guys that rowed the entire coast one summer a couple of years ago... Oslo to Honningsvåg in an Oselvar! That's a long row.
    Thank you! I have talked to this man on the phone some years ago about Oselvar, but never met him. Nice to see the pictures. Was the boat full size? It looked a bit small on the pictures.

Yes, full size...about 6m. He had shaped the 3rd strake before setting up at the meeting, but all the cutting down ("skyting" the boat), fastening, fitting the upper parts of the frames and work on the gunwales was done on site at the meeting. Got the boat more or less finished by Sunday.

But Egil has done things like this before. The boat show in Brest comes to mind. He also travels around to the schools in Hordaland for Sunnhordland museum showing the schoolkids how these boats are built, putting together a 1/3 scale model with wingnuts. Cool project.

The 21ft Åfjordsboat, great for beaching😊

Thanks, Fred. Great boats. Beautiful photos.
    Ian