Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: Joining The Norwegian Coastal Federation Bodø

Default Re: Joining The Norwegian Coastal Federation Bodø

Beautiful photos of great boats. We were at Roskilde, Denmark, about ten days ago and were very impressed with the Viking Ship museum and workshop. Boats with similar lines to what you are showing. Because they are building new boats using the same materials, techniques, and tools as originally done, it is fascinating to see what has changed and what has stayed the same over many centuries.

Thanks Grabow! I would like to go to Roskilde myself. You really feel like sailing "viking-ships" in this Nordlandsboats, and they have the same construction as viking ships.

The coastal federation has got a new vessel for members to use. This is a traditional "Nordland-sjark" A traditional coastal fishing vessel. It needs some care but tecnical in good condition.

20190618_191550.jpg

Great looking boat! What's she powered with?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I dont know exactly yet, but its a small diesel-enging inboard ofcourse. The boat is 24 feet. I have been onboard but not on a trip yet. I felt the boat was surprisingly tippy to be this size, but my guess it need some ballast. The boat need some oil and varnish, so more photos later of a more sparkling hull :-)

Hey Fred. At this age, I would give both testicles for a boat like that. Its beautiful to my eyes.

Well, you need balls to take good care of this lady! 😁

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

OK - I'll keep them for now. Just a lovely little boat. Hope you have a great weekend.

Yesterday we had an interesting trip with our åttring. It was a fresh breeze, but we sailed broad reach with full sails in 8 knots. When we jibe/gybe, we always let the peak down to take out power to prevent a broach. Broach is the biggest risk in an open boat with 400 kg. stones as ballast. When we started to tack we needed a couple of reefs as the vind also picked up a bit. In this wideo there is not were good sail trim, but the sea came in a direction that made some rolling, making it harder to trim properly. It was a new experience sailing in this conditions, but we also got confidence the boat sails well with some reefs when needed. We had to stop sailing after a while because the peak haul jammed, and its a risk sailing without good control on the peak. Motor home.

Another chilly looking day on the water. But our high yesterday was 64F so it must global cooling . Will the sun dip below the horizon today at your latitude?

Happy summer.

Yes its midsummer, so today is the longest daylight we hawe this year. It will no get gradually darker, but we have many weeks still with midnight sun. Usually the months ahead is the warmest, and people start to take vacations now, including me 😁

Bodø, and Norway has now got a "Jektefartsmuseum" for the "Jekt" "Anna karoline" A Jekt is a cargoboat used to carry fish from the big fisheries in northern Norway to the european marked. These fisheries was the biggest export before the oil, so the Jekt is a very important part of our history. Today was the opening-day, and we tok a trip there,,, with traditional boats ofcourse :-) If any of you visit Bodø, this s the place too go!!!

This year we decided to sail the 40 nauthical miles to Nordskott, to join the "Vestfjord-regatta" to Lofoten with the Åttring "Hæringen". This is a video from the first day sailing. We had a fresh breeze and top speed was 10 knots. To sail safe running in 1,5 meter waves, we decided to only use the jib, sailing 5 knots.

Last edited by Fredostli; 07-06-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks for sharing that...wonderful..!

Second day of sailing to the Vestfjord regatta.

Last edited by Fredostli; 07-06-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Looks chilly again Fred. When do you break out the shorts and t-shirts?

Shorts and t-shirts? only when we travel to the mediteranian or caribean

most importat for us is good vind conditions, and no rain.

The 3. day we where supposed to have a regatta for traditional boats at Nordskott, but the other boats was stuck further north because of strong vinds. We did some sailing and practiced tacking. (theese boats are realy hard to tack in a fresh breeze)

Stunning as usual Fred, but as you say, tacking looks to be a bitch sometimes. Where do you find that music?

I'm thinking of attending a WWII ceremony in Holland next May. I may hop up your way for a few days to see a green Norway. No obligations on your part so no worries about anything.

Two weeks til our daughter's wedding and counting. After all the work I've put into that, I'll need a very long vacation to Washington.

[IMG]Untitled by Gary Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Our little girl in the last boat I built.

Music is from Youtube sound archive. I discovered Leo Sampson used one of the same songs as in one of mine on the last TallyHo video, ��

The waves on the Vestfjord got to big for the Nordlandsboats this year. But we were lucky to get onboard Faksen, the federations fishing kutter, over to Kabelvåg.

Last edited by Fredostli; 07-08-2019 at 01:00 AM.

Gary you are velcome to Norway again. In may we have started our sailing season, so I am happy to let you come onboard sailing.

That sounds a dream. Thanks. Stay tuned.

The Norwegian Coastal Federation organizes local clubs around a very long coastline - 2400 km or there abouts. Each area has its own 'district typical' type of boat. This thread has been dedicated to North Norway around the Bodø area. Typical for boats of North Norway are boats with long, narrow hulls and plumb stems. My area is south of Bergen. Typical boats are the Oselvar.... and the Gavlebåt. Our club gavlebåt, Notmann, is an old net-boat that originally was rowed by 6 guys when setting fishing nets when the boat was new 104 years ago. We rigged it for sail in the '90s, in the fashion of gavlebåt in the second half of the 1900s. We've been caring for Notmann for well 30 years. It is probably good for another 100 years, judging by the condition right now.

When we packed down the sails we made 30 years ago after the last season, the sail split in long holes about 50-60 cm over the lower edge. Folding and packing the sail over the boom for 30 years, in sun and weather, had taken a toll. I measured the sail and ordered a new one from a sailmaker in Germany. Modern cloth, but with cotton fiber over the core material so it looks and feels like an original, barked cotton sail.

This is a video I made from the first test sail yesterday. There is still some tweeking to be done, but it looks very good. Good speed in light wind and the fit seems to be spot on.

Notmann also has a bowsprit and a flying jib, but we didn't mount that yesterday. We just gave the bowsprit a coat of pitch&oil and it will take a few more days of sun to dry.

Gavlebåts are very fast, sweet-sailing workboats. Built to carry tons of nets and fish, but with an underwater body that is narrow, sharp and defined. Not unlike the Oselvar... underwater, if much larger. We regularly sail past modern plastic boats downwind and at least hold their speed upwind. I've seen a lot of guys in expensive boats flashing out more sail as we edge past them on the fjord. Extremely pleasant. But they haven't seen the underwater lines of boat on land or they would know that a well tuned gavlebåt is not to be underestimated.

The video is taken without the topsail or flying jib, in very light air. (I am holding the camera, so the helmsman is not me...)

Quote Originally Posted by lagspiller View Post
    The Norwegian Coastal Federation organizes local clubs around a very long coastline - 2400 km or there abouts. Each area has its own 'district typical' type of boat. This thread has been dedicated to North Norway around the Bodø area. ]
    I am glad you participate in this thread Lagspiller, and also happy to let it be a thread about all the activities The Norwegaian coastal federetiaon have around the country. We do love our Nordlandsboats, but its hard to really be interested in theese boat without paying attention to the whole Norwegian wooden boat history. Hopte to see more videos of your gavlebåt. How many feet is it?

Let us share a photo I found on the web...:

Last edited by Fredostli; 07-11-2019 at 04:48 AM.

Fred,
    This is the best thread on the forum. Love the boats and stories being show cased.

I can add a little more, Fred, but it's been very interesting reading/seeing the boats of North Norway so I won't post updates & such...

Notmann is 34ft. We have a topsail, too, but only use that for showoff and when in a bloodrush racing against the other gavlebåts. Both we and the gavle from Sund (on Sotra) have two wins in the 'wander-trophy'. The next time one of wins the trophy gets a permanent home. We won it the previous time it was handed out for keeps.

We also have a 'brugdebåt'... a boat designed specially for hunting basking shark. It is about the same size as an åttring (eight-oared boat) and is fitted with a square sail. There is a large room in the middle of the boat for the barrels of shark liver that was the goal of the hunt. One shark could yield 2-2.5 tons of liver... lots of oil. Most of the length of a basking shark is liver... a fish of up to 13 meters in length. They were caught with a hand-thrown harpoon, not unlike the technique of the old-time whaling boats of the Nantucket fishery.
    Our brugdeboat - BREGDO - is a copy of the original... which is now exhibited in a fishery museum we are helping to put together in an old net-drying house. The original was built about the middle of 1700. I'm not sure when it was put on land for good, but that was far into the 1900s....maybe around 1960. Here is a photo of it from 2014 when we had it at the National meeting in Oslo.

The long poles diagonal to the mast are harpoons. You can make out the detachable iron at the top of the one pointing toward the bow. The iron was attached to a long rope with barrels tied along its length. When the fish was hit, the wooden pole detached and the barrels were tossed overboard.

Otherwise we have a sail-sjekte, much like the dorys used before motor took over in the developments toward the purse-seine trawlers of today.
    Of course a seksæring (six-oared) and an Oselvar færing (four-oared), Hardanger boats with high stems.
    Our latest catch is one of the first motorized fishing boats in our area - a seksæring that was re-built with an extra board to raise the freeboard, heavier bulkheads and a Rap two-cycle semidiesel from 1923 with a hot-bulb start. 15 minutes with a blow-torch on the bulb at the top of the cylinder and the awesome 4.5 hp lump of iron (250 kg) roars to life with a muffled thump...thump...thump.... and it pushes the narrow seksæring hull at up to 10 knots. We have even found its original "H" fishery registration number. It was 'the old boat' when it came to Austevoll year 1900. After its day as a professional fishing boat was over, it became the 'everything' boat... school 'bus' between the islands for the young kids, taxiboat, churchboat... you name it. When we found it, it had been on land since 1970 and was in a bad way. Now it is in good shape, restored with all respect for the marks of time, and was chosen to be in the boat parade at the National meeting in Haugesund last year.

So, that's our story.
    Now back to yours.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lagspiller; 07-11-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Just keep it coming Lagspiller, its low activity here right now, and I use the oportunity to build my wife a new greenhouse.