Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: meals on wheels moochers

Default meals on wheels moochers

Our Beloved Leader has proclaimed that providing food for our elderly is an unworthy drain on the economy of the world's greatest power, so he has ruled that withdrawing the funds for Meals on Wheels will provide more money for bullets, should a war commence.

Default Re: meals on wheels moochers

This is one thing he failed to mention in his campaign.

Money for guns, not butter. Billionaires have plenty of butter.

Probably has stock in McDonald's, wants to increase the sale of their dollar items.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Hunger must be the new step for MAGA. 45 and the Congress also want to cut the program that feeds kids after school. They say there's no evidence that it helps kids do better.

And they propose cut 10million people off of food stamps.
    Greg H. - from before the great crash, 20th century member 108

"In matters concerning truth and justice there can be no distinction between big problems and small; for the general principles which determine the conduct of men are indivisible.
    Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted in important affairs."

- Albert Einstein

Truely sad. I've helped deliver meals on wheels off and on since I was a young boy.

It's an experience that can at the same time give you great joy and deep sadness.

My experience is that those served are truly needy and almost to the last one thankful.

“just to follow-up on that, you were talking about the steel worker in ohio, coal worker in pennsylvania, but they may have an elderly mother who depends on the meals on wheels program or who may have kids in head start,” acosta said. “yesterday, or the day before, you described this as a hard-power budget. Is it also a hard-hearted budget?”

“no, i don’t think so,” mulvaney replied. “i think it’s probably one of the most compassionate things we can do.”

"In matters concerning truth and justice there can be no distinction between big problems and small; for the general principles which determine the conduct of men are indivisible.
    Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted in important affairs."

- Albert Einstein

500,000 ex-vets depend in part on Meals On Wheels.

That's one way to keep voters in line, eh?

Beside being incompetent, this administration is amoral. I wonder if his Stumps will ever care.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

I don't hear any of our Right Wingers coming on board to explain why stealing food from the mouths of the poor and elderly is a good idea.

...Anybody?

Last edited by Shang; 03-17-2017 at 09:33 AM.

It isn't a good idea. It never was. It never will be.

It is an effort by people who have never met the people they will hurt and frankly don't care about "those people".
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Last edited by Shang; 03-17-2017 at 09:38 AM.

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    A gold fork? Really?
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    I don't hear any of our Right Wingers coming on board to explain why stealing food from the mouths of the poor and elderly is a good idea.

...Anybody
    Sounds like not many here have a clue as to how Meals ON Wheels operates.

1. It's not a government based program, it is community based, a relative ran it in a local town for over 20 years.
    2 .97% of it's funding is corporate and foundation grants, contributions and other sources, the federal government provides only 3%.
    3. A lot of left spin here without any facts, no one is going to be denied a meal.

Read and learn, pg. 18, financials. http://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org/...l.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Pile,

The point is the government should be providing more support, not less for worthy programs like Meals on Wheels. More on plowshares less on over priced swords, that should be the focus of budget discussions.

I'm sure you have a different opinion. From your posts that I've read, you appear to me to be a, pull yourself up by your own bootstrap, good fences make good neighbor kind of guy. Cutting 3% from a very tight budget may not seem like a big deal to you, but for people struggling for nutritional resources to feed the poor and elderly it is a rather big deal.

Who is to make up the difference?

Skip

Sean Spicer will tell us that it's an intervention to reduce obesity rates among the poor and elderly. Gotta frame this stuff correctly.

(At least the Romans provided both bread and circuses.)
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Well, there are always prisons and workhouses for the poor, the elderly and those unable or unwilling to work to feed themselves.

Oh wait, the Republicans haven't passed that law yet. I think it's coming in the next few months though.
    "The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.
    -Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    Well, there are always prisons and workhouses for the poor, the elderly and those unable or unwilling to work to feed themselves.

Oh wait, the Republicans haven't passed that law yet. I think it's coming in the next few months though.
    Well, there's always this for the starving masses:
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Well, there are always prisons and workhouses for the poor, the elderly and those unable or unwilling to work to feed themselves..
    There you go, magnanimous government interventions focusing on diet and exercise. I dunno how they'll get around the "nanny state" angle, but Spicer's creative.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    A gold fork? Really?
    Goes with the silver spoon.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Don't wimp out. Label them "useless eaters" and go from there.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Since it is St. Patrick's Day maybe someone has a "Modest Proposal"?

http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Since it is St. Patrick's Day maybe someone has a "Modest Proposal"?

http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html
    I don't think the analogy works as well, because for all their faults, the Irish were lean, free-range, and you knew that what little they'd been eating was real food.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Bay View Post
    the Congress also want to cut the program that feeds kids after school. They say there's no evidence that it helps kids do better.
    I give considerable money to charities that feed kids after school and on weekends. Much lees than the government does.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Goes with the silver spoon.
    Where that silver spoon is located, we'll never see the thing.
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I give considerable money to charities that feed kids after school and on weekends. Much lees than the government does.
    ??

Your charity is truly commendable, but I don't understand what you mean by your statement. Are you saying your hands are clean and your conscience is clear, so if the government cuts funds so be it??

The Devil just smiled a little.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I am trying to envision the "outcome analysis" done in the white house. I imagine it goes something like...

Meals on wheels provides hot meals to elderly and other shut ins. All of the people receiving meals on wheels will die if they don't get meals on wheels. However, they will all still die despite receiving meals on wheels. Therefore the program doesn't provide any real value so cut it. As far as the "compassion" thing goes, is it more compassionate to let an elderly shut die sooner or keep them alive in their "low quality of life state" for longer. Obviously the compassionate thing is to not give them meals on whels so they die sooner thus limiting their suffering.

I am waiting for the same sort of "logic" to be applied to Social Security and Medicare.

You're not too far off, but they're missing a key variable. The elderly have children and grandchildren, many of whom vote.

How much longer before the Republican Party proposes doing away with Social Security, Medicare and other social services to the elderly and just abandoning them on icebergs at retirement?

Oh, wait, that pesky global warming thing - no more icebergs.
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    How much longer before the Republican Party proposes doing away with Social Security, Medicare and other social services to the elderly and just abandoning them on icebergs at retirement?
    Since I'm just recently on Medicare, and only months away from Social Security, I can tell you this: when they start talking about cutting those two programs... or 'privatizing' them (another word for cutting them), it will be pitchforks and torches time.....

...and I'll be holding one of each.

I didn't pay those taxes for the past 47 years for nothing... and if they try the familiar ruse of cutting them for 'future' recipients (as they've talked about for years), it won't change anything.... I'll actually join the protest, physically.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Since I'm just recently on Medicare, and only months away from Social Security, I can tell you this: when they start talking about cutting those two programs... or 'privatizing' them (another word for cutting them), it will be pitchforks and torches time.....

...and I'll be holding one of each.

I didn't pay those taxes for the past 47 years for nothing... and if they try the familiar ruse of cutting them for 'future' recipients (as they've talked about for years), it won't change anything.... I'll actually join the protest, physically.
    Not to be a wise guy, but start now. Really. By the time you start to protest in person, it will likely be too late.
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Sounds like not many here have a clue as to how Meals ON Wheels operates.

1. It's not a government based program, it is community based, a relative ran it in a local town for over 20 years.
    2 .97% of it's funding is corporate and foundation grants, contributions and other sources, the federal government provides only 3%.
    3. A lot of left spin here without any facts, no one is going to be denied a meal.

Read and learn, pg. 18, financials. http://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org/...l.pdf?sfvrsn=2
    You are correct, it's an insignificant amount, maybe the cost of 2 1/2 upgraded Hellfire missiles. Wow, that is quite a savings.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...11-2014-07019/

May 16/16: The UAE has been cleared to purchase external link external link 4,000 AGM-114 R/K Hellfire missiles after the sale was cleared by the US State Department. Congress was notified of the potential $476 million deal on May 11 which will be delivered external link external link over the next three years in increments of 1,000 to 1,500 missiles by Lockheed Martin. According to the DSCA, “the proposed sale will improve the UAE’s capability to meet current and future threats and provide greater security for its critical infrastructure.”

DOD purchases
    Last edited by LeeG; 03-17-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post

Oh, wait, that pesky global warming thing - no more icebergs.
    You haven't been following Ryan. He already has.